Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I know of at least one 84M done in 6.5-284. I think the 84M action has more than a 4% safety margin.

Here's one in 284

https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...tana-284-winchester.cfm?gun_id=102006461

Last edited by rembo; 12/26/22.

"after the bullet leaves the barrel it doesn't care what headstamp was on the case"
"The 221 Fireball is what the Hornet could have been had it stayed in school"
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don’t know about “best”, but it’s very, very good in my opinion, and highly under appreciated by the general hunting public. I always get the deer in the headlights look when someone asks me what I am shooting and I respond “a .284”.

My semi-custom has a mag that will allow 2.93” COL. The recipe of a 140-gr TTSX over 53 grs of R17 give me 3100 fps, and under 3” groups at 400.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mitchellmountain
Originally Posted by Teeder
Unfortunately, I keep coming back to this thread. Anyone ever make a short action Montana in .284? I happen to have an extra laying around. crazy laugh

Not enough meat on the action apparently, do some research and you'll find some threads on here about it. I was going to do just that project and gave up on it because of the info.
In addition seems like to really get what the cartridge offers you need a long action otherwise just stick with the 7-08 or go for the 7 SAUM

That rings a bell now.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Unfortunately, I keep coming back to this thread. Anyone ever make a short action Montana in .284? I happen to have an extra laying around. crazy laugh

Here you go. Stick offered up the pictures as a good explanation as to why it won't work.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/17847823/1

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RevMike

Here you go. Stick offered up the pictures as a good explanation as to why it won't work.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/17847823/1

Thanks. I'm sticking with the 7-08.
Then again, in 2 years or so I'll think, "Hey, what about a .284?" Then I'll come back to my senses and keep shooting my 7-08's. crazy

Last edited by Teeder; 12/26/22.
IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Melvin Forbes probably made the 284 as popular as anyone. I spoke with him in Nashville at the 2015 nra something or another. He spoke highly of the 284 but we agreed a 708 is easier and just as good. He said he built his daughter in law a 260 to take to Africa.

The 284 sucks in a short action and isn’t the only option for a long action. I think the SAUM\6.5PRC case is the new 284 case.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
.284 Winchester doesn't run well in a short-action. Neither do its variants to be honest. You really need 3.0" of magazine to have a repeater. There really is no advantage that is tangible to any other cartridge in its class. Instead about worrying about the perfect cartridge, worry more about the perfect bullet.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not arguing here, but If you look at my post above about my 284 with a magazine allowing a 2.93” COL, tell me what about it isn’t running well. We’ve been inundated with talk of long, sleek bullets with high B.C.’s. long mag’s and chambers to match, but none of that matters to 300 yards. It barely matters to 400. The longest range I’ve taken a game animal was at 500 yds. and it was with this 284 and that load. Worked fine.

Presumably, we’re talking hunting on this thread where all this “short mag, short throat, deep-seated bullets”, hardly matters at all. Not 1000 yd matches where all this stuff does in fact matter.

By far most big game is taken under 300 yds, and maybe at much less than that.

The 284 is well-balanced as can be said of many others, with moderate recoil, “standard” case capacity, and can easily be made into very light, accurate rifles. And, it’s an original.

One cannot always count on the general hunting public to recognize a good thing, or depend upon gun makers to appropriately match cartridge/shotshell to its platform. Note the resurgence of the once dead 16 and 28 ga’s now on lighter size-appropriate frames.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd
Not arguing here, but If you look at my post above about my 284 with a magazine allowing a 2.93” COL, tell me what about it isn’t running well. We’ve been inundated with talk of long, sleek bullets with high B.C.’s. long mag’s and chambers to match, but none of that matters to 300 yards. It barely matters to 400. The longest range I’ve taken a game animal was at 500 yds. and it was with this 284 and that load. Worked fine.

Presumably, we’re talking hunting on this thread where all this “short mag, short throat, deep-seated bullets”, hardly matters at all. Not 1000 yd matches where all this stuff does in fact matter.

The 284 is well-balanced as can be said of many others, with moderate recoil, “standard” case capacity, and can easily be made into very light, accurate rifles. And, it’s an original.

One cannot always count on the general hunting public to recognize a good thing, or depend upon gun makers to appropriately match cartridge/shotshell to its platform. Note the resurgence of the once dead 16 and 28 ga’s now on lighter size-appropriate frames.

EXACTLY!!!!!!
GreggH

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The 284 Winchester requires a big commitment to build right and maintain loadings for. In reality, even though a 3.0” magazine/chamber will greatly enhance capability, a longer COAL could be produced to take full advantage (back to LA) of 7mm BC heavy for caliber projectiles. Combine all the idiosyncrasies plus hunting for brass and new barrel and twist rate and you have a big commitment.

Some rifleman are fine with that much commitment and it would be, perhaps, very satisfying to use on game. The 7mm-08 would do pretty much the same thing under hunting conditions, however you’d still need to take an off-the-rack rifle in 7mm-08, in most cases, dump the typical 9.5 twist and throw an 8.5 or 8 on it to get the best out of it. Obviously, it would do fine with a 9.5 for hunting needs, but the twist craze and heavy for caliber bullets may make for having to scratch that itch.

Lastly it’s the 308 Win that is the easy SA decision for big game hunting. Comes with a 10 twist off-the-rack that can shoot 110 grain bullets at 3,400 fps and 200 grains at 2,450 fps and anything in between for just about any occasion for long range and woods range. As balance goes it’s still a tack driver with 17% more frontal area over the 6.5mm and 8.5% more than the 7mm with no muss no fuss having plenty of load data, components and ammunition galore.

Some SA or quasi SA chambers take more commitment to utilize, the 308 Win is not one of them and therefore is more perfect in my opinion.

IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
No one said the 284 isn’t good. If we’re going to argue that the 284 case is totally fine to 400 yards then what is it’s advantages over the 708 at those distances? If using a long action what’s the appeal over a 280? I like the case I just think the saum case is a much better case.

This is coming from a huge 6.5-284 fan. I’m sentimental to a 6.5-284 but I also realize it’s not much faster than a 260 or 6.5 creedmoor in a shorter barrel. A 6.5 prc is a better case that does a little more without a long action and questionable feeding.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Agree 100%, but that also makes a perfect case for just using a 7-08 in the first place.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

If you're only shooting to 300 or 400 yards, what does it do that a 7mm-08 won't do?

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not much. I didn’t represent it as superior to the 7-08 which I consider a very good cartridge also. I’d say the 284 to the 7-08 is analogous to the ‘06 to the 308, not in COL, but in relative case capacities.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Rossimp
The 284 Winchester requires a big commitment to build right and maintain loadings for. In reality, even though a 3.0” magazine/chamber will greatly enhance capability, a longer COAL could be produced to take full advantage (back to LA) of 7mm BC heavy for caliber projectiles. Combine all the idiosyncrasies plus hunting for brass and new barrel and twist rate and you have a big commitment.

Some rifleman are fine with that much commitment and it would be, perhaps, very satisfying to use on game. The 7mm-08 would do pretty much the same thing under hunting conditions, however you’d still need to take an off-the-rack rifle in 7mm-08, in most cases, dump the typical 9.5 twist and throw an 8.5 or 8 on it to get the best out of it. Obviously, it would do fine with a 9.5 for hunting needs, but the twist craze and heavy for caliber bullets may make for having to scratch that itch.

Lastly it’s the 308 Win that is the easy SA decision for big game hunting. Comes with a 10 twist off-the-rack that can shoot 110 grain bullets at 3,400 fps and 200 grains at 2,450 fps and anything in between for just about any occasion for long range and woods range. As balance goes it’s still a tack driver with 17% more frontal area over the 6.5mm and 8.5% more than the 7mm with no muss no fuss having plenty of load data, components and ammunition galore.

Some SA or quasi SA chambers take more commitment to utilize, the 308 Win is not one of them and therefore is more perfect in my opinion.

I played around with a 375 Winchester in a Savage 99, at 500 yards. Not as hard to hit as you would think.

LOL
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
My point regarding commitment is not so much about shooting and making hits but more about choosing to build a 284 Win (expense, time, etc.) verses buying a 308 Win off the rack. In looking at the two the 308 Win is a true SA and may arguably have the edge on the 284 Win in more ways than one. It’s not hard to shoot sub MOA with just about any plain Jane inexpensive 308 Win rifle, especially a turn bolt. Again my point is for the average hunter in the field what more is needed to achieve best bang for the buck when all things are considered. While the 284 Win certainly has a ballistic advantage over the 308 Win, the 308 Win is as accurate as any and in the right hands can dust targets at 700 meters all day.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They both drill targets at 1000 yards just fine to. The .284 just uses a little less windage on the rear sight.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
It's a semi-unique round, but in real life, it does nothing different than a 270, 280 or 7-08 does................nothing.

But it's cool factor is high.

MM

Take out the 7-08 and it does exactly what it was designed to do.

Which is what? Equal the performance of the 270 & 280?

MM

Mainly the .270, but yes.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I had a 284, built on a 600 action, no advantage over my 7-08 and at the same time had a very accurate 280(yes I like 7mm's) and getting brass even then was tough in the 284. To me and what I hunt and where, the 7-08 is ideal. Now my only issue is to get the ideal rifle, that's like a unicorn for me.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
How about the 284 Improved (6.5x284) and Improved Again (6.5 RPM)?

I love the 6.5 RPM.

I have a box of vintage Winchester 284 ammo... just waiting for me to someday acquire a 284.

Great thread

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 222Sako, 58 invisible), 2,508 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,184
Posts18,484,764
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.