Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Good for you. Smoked occasionally when I was turkey hunting. Can see how one can become addicted.

Stick with it, discipline, self respect and willpower. You don’t need them.

You got this…

Don't gobble at me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I quit the day before I turned 48. just turned 70. Haven't cheated once!

I wanted to be a good example for my Wife so she would quit then also.

NOOOO... didn't happen.

She now has throat cancer from smoking for over 50 years.

She's now going through radiation and chemo.

Virgil B.

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Just for fun, I ran the numbers with a young man. He was 20. If he quit smoking and put the $ saved in his 401K (MI prices) until retirement age, he’d have around $2 Million. We were both a bit surprised. I think he still smokes. Addiction is tough. Not everyone beats it. Some do. Be one of them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats! Enjoy the health benefits and extra money in your pocket.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Hang tough you got this

IC B2

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I hope it works for you RR!

673 Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Good for you RiverRider, best thing you can do for yourself and family.
My best friend passed away 3 weeks ago at 68, heavy smoker, lung Cancer started the whole thing off.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Quit dipping nearly 21 years ago. One of the hardest things I ever done. Dentist said mouth cancer was immeninent. I leaned on that thought in my weak moments.Stay focused. It's for your life, which is really all a man has.

pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RiverRider
I quit smoking as of 5 minutes from now...Sure hope I can hold to my promises to myself...

With that attitude you simply aren't ready. Quitting is easy once you have the right attitude.

About 30 years ago, while on a love boat cruise to the Mexican Riviera, sitting by the pool one day, I met a man with a huge scar down the front of his chest; the fresh scar was from him being cracked open like a chicken for open-heart surgery. He was traveling with his drop-dead gorgeous daughter who was in her mid-20's.

One night, while half in the bag, playing blackjack and smoking my 40th or 50th cigarette of the day, I saw his daughter across the room; she was talking to friends and lighting up the room. I thought to myself: "Damn, it would be nice to be in love with a beautiful woman again." Then I thought: "If she ever kissed me she would probably throw up from the taste of stale cigarettes." Then I thought: "It would be nice to live long enough to share my life with a beautiful woman again." And I also thought: "My life is worth saving so I could actually have a chance of doing that."

When I went to bed that night I left a nearly full pack of Camels on the nightstand, knowing I could never have another puff, as I would be a smoker again. That next morning we were pulling into Puerto Vallarta and I just left the cigarettes on the nightstand as I left to tour PV. Drinking a glass of tequila after lunch that day, I thought: "God....DAMN a cigarette would be good right now." And I realized that, if I wanted to stay off cigarettes, I HAD to quit drinking. So I did, right then and there.

Though I went back to drinking within a year or so, it was only social drinking, never to the excess I once had. Yet I never again touched tobacco.

Decades later I quit drinking and have been sober for years.

Anyone can quit. You just have to decide that your life is worth saving.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Stand strong Brother it's not going to be easy but you already know that.

If you stumble catch yourself, if you fall pick yourself up and Ye Shall Enter The Brotherhood Of Quitters!

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Fullfan
Good for you. Smoked occasionally when I was turkey hunting. Can see how one can become addicted.

Stick with it, discipline, self respect and willpower. You don’t need them.

You got this…

smokers dont have self respect ?....bob

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
My last cigarette I bummed off my brother in law sitting in his Chevy pickup. Mar 1980.

You can do it!

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Wishing you success.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pal
I quit smoking as of 5 minutes from now...Sure hope I can hold to my promises to myself...

With that attitude you simply aren't ready. Quitting is easy once you have the right attitude.

About 30 years ago, while on a love boat cruise to the Mexican Riviera, sitting by the pool one day, I met a man with a huge scar down the front of his chest; the fresh scar was from him being cracked open like a chicken for open-heart surgery. He was traveling with his drop-dead gorgeous daughter who was in her mid-20's.

One night, while half in the bag, playing blackjack and smoking my 40th or 50th cigarette of the day, I saw his daughter across the room; she was talking to friends and lighting up the room. I thought to myself: "Damn, it would be nice to be in love with a beautiful woman again." Then I thought: "If she ever kissed me she would probably throw up from the taste of stale cigarettes." Then I thought: "It would be nice to live long enough to share my life with a beautiful woman again." And I also thought: "My life is worth saving so I could actually have a chance of doing that."

When I went to bed that night I left a nearly full pack of Camels on the nightstand, knowing I could never have another puff, as I would be a smoker again. That next morning we were pulling into Puerto Vallarta and I just left the cigarettes on the nightstand as I left to tour PV. Drinking a glass of tequila after lunch that day, I thought: "God....DAMN a cigarette would be good right now." And I realized that, if I wanted to stay off cigarettes, I HAD to quit drinking. So I did, right then and there.

Though I went back to drinking within a year or so, it was only social drinking, never to the excess I once had. Yet I never again touched tobacco.

Decades later I quit drinking and have been sober for years.

Anyone can quit. You just have to decide that your life is worth saving.

Very well put RiverRider!

I smoke 7 to 10 per day, sure is hard to put the dam things down forever, drinking and smoking go hand and hand.

KB

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
I quit smoking as of 5 minutes from now, officially.

I had quit on New Years Eve 1998, but somehow fell back into the habit. The wife busted me last summer and was not happy and I told her I'd quit on my own terms if she'd just leave me the f*** alone for a while. I got pestered a few times about quitting since that day and told her to leave me alone on it. I haven't announced the quit yet, but I will tomorrow morning.

Sure hope I can hold to my promises to myself. I wanna live.
I hope you can finally quit for good.. I thank God every day that I never started.. The cost of that habit today is UNreal... Best wishes to you sir...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Good luck.

Black Cows Matter!
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
River Rider - please know that Joy and I are rooting for you.
Take care, my friend - and best of luck and good wishes to you.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Quit all forms of tobacco 15 years ago, cold turkey, and haven't looked back. Before that I would go from cigs to chew to snuff to cigars and repeat telling myself that some forms were better for me than others but they weren't.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
RiverRider: Best of luck with your resolution!
I know if successful you be healthier and wealthier the rest of your days.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

B
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
B
My ex got breast cancer. Been a smoker for years. Saw a picture of her after her double mastectomy. Pack of cigs on the table in front of her.

I used to smoke a little but then I realized how much each cigarette cost(now 10. A pack) and I put it in gun terms- I could buy a new rifle every 2 months with that money. Haven’t had one since.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (007FJ, 160user, 12344mag, 16penny, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 58 invisible), 2,394 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,141
Posts18,484,085
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.