-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I quit chewing after 25 years. THAT WAS HARD! It took me almost a year of doing and failing and then it finally stuck! Have not chewed in 20 years and am SOOOOOOO glad I quit. You can do it if you really want to.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
RR, whatever your motivation to quit is, don’t let that little 3 inch roll of tobacco rule your life.
I quit a 15+ year habit of dipping and occasional smoking (socially while drinking)cold f’n turkey back in early ‘14. Was a tough initial few weeks but I wasn’t going to let that little can beat me. Gained some weight which I’ve lost since then.
I felt better, saved $80-$100/month not buying dip, AND my life insurance premium dropped 60% after a clean blood test.
F’uck tobacco.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Now you will have more money for topless dancers and good whiskey! Tough to quit. My dad smoked for ten years too long, emphysema had him on inhalers and oxygen for 4 years and he did get better.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
RR, I know from face to face experience that you are a real gentleman, a good buddy and that you do wise things in life. You deserve to be such for a long time.

My humble perception is that, as you once again face this difficult task, you try to bring to bear the values and disciplines that have worked so well for you in other areas of your life. Enable the factors you treasure most in life to drive your discipline during the early constant urges to resume, and you can become increasingly successful.

There is a lot of life opportunity before you - let's maximize the benefits of that.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Addiction's not such a big deal really. I quit masturbating at least once a day.

#bestrong

LOL
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
started smoking at 15. When I quit, back in the eighties, I was doing three packs of unfiltered cigarettes a day. Stopping was fairly easy. I kept an unopened pack on the dashboard of the truck and on the bedside table. That kept me from making that 2 AM trip to the 7-11. After a week, I tossed those and never smoked again.

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
What the hell are you gonna do for a 'bad habit' now?....

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I can still remember the first time I smoked a cigarette. I was six yers old and one of the neighborhood kids swiped a pack of smoke from his dad. Got dizzy as hell but in some way it felt good. After that I smoked whenever I could sneak one from the smokers in the family. By the time I was 14 my folks knew I smoked and never did anything about it. I was going to a Catholic school at the time and one day my two buds and I were waiting for the streetcar to go home when Sister Mary Jane shows up. She asked if our parents knew that we smoked and of course we all said yes. That was on a Friday as I recall and on Monday, first thing in the morning Sister says that on her way home she caught my buds and me smoking. She then said we told her out parents knew we smoked and were OK with it. Upshot was my two buds were hauled off the the boys lavatory and the yells from them were heard throughout the school. In 1975 I was a three pack a day smoker with a cigar or pipe or two thrown in. My wife had been trying to get me to quit off and on and frankly, I did try only to fail Then one day she says the Seventh Day Adventist are in town and are giving free classes on quitting smoking. I was thinking it'll be a futile gesture but I agreed to go. Interesting three evenings. First they said a prayer for the Lord's help and then interesting lectures. At the end of the first class as we were leaving, they were standing at the door and asking us to throw out smoking materials, matches and lighters in the waste baskets. I asked to keep the lighter because it was a gift from the detachment I was in when I left Korea, suitably engraved. Funny thing I didn't smoke that night nor the next day nor any day after that until about three month after the classes. Just no desire. While at work, at the time three month later I bummed a smoke from of coworker. I wanted to be sure I'd really quit. Sure as hell I got that same dizzy sensation that I'd had way back when I was six. Two drags and I put it out. Haven't smoked since. I then realized that in some way tobacco had a stoning effect. Rather mild but that how it felt to me. I'd literally carried a buzz on for 31 years. I had that first smoke in 1944. I thought it was cool. Now I realize I was fool for not quitting sooner.
One thing that was good in that system was each one of us had a buddy. If the urge came on we could call our buddy, day or night and talk the urge away. My buddy turned out to be the father of one of my hunting partners so we paired up. He had lung cancer but he never said what stage. He never stopped smoking was dead about six months after the class. He told me shortly before he passed that he just could not stop.

Two things I got from that class. One is I found that deer hunting at the higher elevations was a lot easier. I could keep up with my buds instead of gasping like a fish out of water. Second, I found out I could get it done. Quit cold and stick to it. If I can do it, so can the OP
PJ.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
IC B3

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
I have a friend who smoked heavy for 35 years. Definitely a manly man that big guy. Couldn’t quit but sure tried.
Went and got hypnotized. Never smoked again, must be12 years ago at this point and loves life without.
Sharp, hard working guy whom I never thought something like that would work.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by huntsman22

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

I dunno, man...I haven't thought that far ahead and I have no idea. You got any suggestions?

laugh

I appreciate the words of encouragement, fellas. I'm actually feeling pretty liberated and there's none of that nervous anxiety and jitters I've heard about. I actually have been preparing myself for this for seven or eight months, reminding myself of the expense and the other negatives each time I lit one up. The one thing I will miss is a smoke with my first cup of coffee each morning but I can find another way to start the mornings. I've done this before and I can do it again...and I won't again fall prey to the notion of how good a hand-rolled smoke (I can roll one that looks like a filterless Camel) will be after a grilled steak in hunting camp.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

I recommend masturbating. On the upside it's easy to quit when the time is right.

LOL
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (16penny, 007FJ, 1936M71, 160user, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 61 invisible), 2,391 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,144
Posts18,484,119
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.