Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Oldgrouser what is bottom bolt action rifle? not one ive seen down here is it a carbine length?

Johno

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"I would like to find Roy Chapman Andrews' Model 1920 and Elmer Keith's 1st Model 256 Newton"

Jeff, to find one of Roy Chapman Andrews' Model 1920 the American Museum of Natural History would be the logical place to start point of a long chase I suppose... The Keith's 256 Newton on the other hand might a shorter rabbit trail.

Me? It's Burton Spiller's Parker 20 gauge, the one rumoured to have been given to him by G Grouse and later gifted to Tap's son, the author William Tapply, is sadly beyond my reach, much like the Rigby embellished Savage Model 1920 residing in Maine.

Well you can't own them all. Best of health to those who are entrusted with those pieces at this time. Cheers!

Last edited by olgrouser; 01/08/23.

"Rhetoric is no substitute for reality." -Thomas Sowell
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by johno
Oldgrouser what is bottom bolt action rifle? not one ive seen down here is it a carbine length?

Johno

I'll take a stab at it. I think it is a Remington model 7

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes 99guy

Sorry Johno. That's a 1989 Remington Model Seven FS in a Brown Precision stock in 7mm-08 with an 18 1/2" barrel that came tuned from the Remington Custom shop for a "to do" customer up here in Canada. Accurate. smile

(Wished it was a Custom 250 Savage)

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
It looks a perfectly balanced rifle, it really is calling me agree you need one in 250 also what a nice pair that would be

Johno

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
Originally Posted by hanco
Originally Posted by zcm82
Not really anything "major" planned, since my collection is fairly minimal anyway.

I may put some actual effort into trying to run down a 32-40 for deer hunting this year though, since it's the last 99 I have an actual need for and prices are only getting higher as time passes.

I killed a deer with mine this year. Loaded it with 165 grain Hornady bullets. It was the first animal I’ve killed with open sights. He was facing me, went all the way through him. It wasn’t fun to clean, but it was the 5th time I’d seen him, first time within 50 yards. I was hoping to kill a pig or two, but never got a shot I felt comfortable taking with open sights.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

That is a nice buck for sure. I tend to stay with original bullet weights that I find when I read articles about a particular caliber. Since we are talking .303 Savage I strive to find vintage ammo in good appearing condition and when vintage bullets show up I make every attempt to become the new owner. This is my go to bullet for the .303 Savage. I also have more vintage 250-3000, 38-55, 32-40 and several boxes of 25-55.

This is what I have at hand right now. I would not hesitate to shoot deer, bear or moose with these bullets here in New England.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I kind of feel the same way. I bought ten boxes of 190 grain Silvertips for my 303 F. Took a nice 7 point with the combo. That was the third deer in my Savage Slam. Next month I’m going on a SC pig hunt. Gun one is my 250. Gun two will be the 1902 303, if I get off my butt and get the scope sighted in.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by olgrouser
"I would like to find Roy Chapman Andrews' Model 1920 and Elmer Keith's 1st Model 256 Newton"

Jeff, to find one of Roy Chapman Andrews' Model 1920 the American Museum of Natural History would be the logical place to start point of a long chase I suppose... The Keith's 256 Newton on the other hand might a shorter rabbit trail.

Me? It's Burton Spiller's Parker 20 gauge, the one rumoured to have been given to him by G Grouse and later gifted to Tap's son, the author William Tapply, is sadly beyond my reach, much like the Rigby embellished Savage Model 1920 residing in Maine.

Well you can't own them all. Best of health to those who are entrusted with those pieces at this time. Cheers!

My impression was that the gear belonging to the AMNH was left in China in anticipation of next Central Asiatic Expedition. Most people don't know that RCA got into hot water with the Chinese Government after he auctioned off a dinosaur egg. Whoever won the auction donated the egg back to the AMNH, but the Chinese wouldn't issue permits for further expeditions.

Mr. Clark sent me copies of Savage records that show that they sent 4 1920s to the AMNH for those expeditions, so I know the serial numbers, have posted them on this site several times, and I always look at even the most disreputable 1920 just in case.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
This is all a very encouraging conversation to Me, even as the lowly accumulator that I am. It keeps what encourages us to push on in these endeavors, in some realistic perspective. Thank You for introducing the question Gary.

I ran into (..not over..) some personal hurdles this past year that have me seriously reevaluating how I spend my time and energy going forward,. This coming year I intend to pick out the very few projects that still reflect my humble tinkerbell ambitions, and keep the even fewer that I still intend to carry in the woods and fields, Then muster my determination to shed the remainder of guns and projects and parts that will never realistically get any more use in my hands.

I am a bit unsettled by how far I've gone down this particular rabbit hole, believing I would somehow end up better off in Watership Downs...

Happier New Year To Us All! Oh, and Happy 70th Birthday Gary!

Last edited by JeffG; 01/09/23.

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
G
gnoahhh Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Ok, Fiver, I'll meet you in the South Tunnel in a half hour for lunch. Hazel.*

(*Ya gotta know Watership Down to get it. A wonderful allegorical tale/morality story based on the author's exploits as a British paratrooper in WWII.)

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
My impression was that the gear belonging to the AMNH was left in China in anticipation of next Central Asiatic Expedition. Most people don't know that RCA got into hot water with the Chinese Government after he auctioned off a dinosaur egg. Whoever won the auction donated the egg back to the AMNH, but the Chinese wouldn't issue permits for further expeditions.

Mr. Clark sent me copies of Savage records that show that they sent 4 1920s to the AMNH for those expeditions, so I know the serial numbers, have posted them on this site several times, and I always look at even the most disreputable 1920 just in case.

Originally Posted by 260Remguy
This information was given to me by Mr. Clark in his letter, dated March 24, 1993.

"The following Savage 1920s were shipped to the American Museum of Natural History, 3rd Asiatic Expedition, on December 17, 1920; #5575, #5742, and #5747.

#5640, in 300 Savage, shipped "Special Attention, Roy Chapman Andrews", on January 19, 1922."

Also in that letter was this information:

"The first Improved Model 1920 rifle with larger forearm and barrel and the Lyman #54 sight (as standard), without the rear sight slot, came through our production of 06/17/26. However, the first 100 or so will be marked "Improved" before the serial number."

The letter from Mr. Clark reports that my Savage 20/26, # 10594, was accepted on 06/17/26 and shipped to Harry Harrison on the same day. Mr. Clark also notes that the word "Improved" was listed in the log entry.

Jeff

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A fella could hunt everything that needs killin around here with just a 284 and a 22-250. Course it'd be nice to have a shotgun and a .22 I suppose.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Svg250

Please check your PMs I have 2 99 Ts and am thinking of selling one of them.

Thanks

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Might be nice (theoretically) to downsize to what I can use regularly, such as a bird gun, a slug gun, a center fire rifle and a rimfire rifle. But it is always nice to have backup(s) for each.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I moved a lot of stuff over the last few years to pay for a custom 2 barreled set Fox SXS in 16 gauge.

The guy that did the work's star has risen over the ensuing years and I don't think I could afford him anymore.

He is now the shop foreman at Griffin & Howe.

Its essentially done and I need to pick it up from him soon.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
cool cool cool

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by ROMAC
I moved a lot of stuff over the last few years to pay for a custom 2 barreled set Fox SXS in 16 gauge.

The guy that did the work's star has risen over the ensuing years and I don't think I could afford him anymore.

He is now the shop foreman at Griffin & Howe.

Its essentially done and I need to pick it up from him soon.

Wow! Thank you for sharing that. What a beautiful double. You going to hunt it?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

You bet I'm going to hunt with it. I did not get it made to look at it.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by ROMAC

You bet I'm going to hunt with it. I did not get it made to look at it.

That is awesome, makes me happy it will be used as intended.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It will be my go-to grouse, woodcock, pheasant and dove gun.

28 and 30 inch barrels. C/Skt and IC/IM with 2 fore-ends. one splinter and one a real petite semi-beavertail.

2 vanity details are my initials on the trigger guard and ivory tips on the fore-ends. Nash Buckingham had Bert Becker install ivory inserts in his custom guns back in the day. These are warthog tusk ivory.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Keeps getting better

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

88 members (35, AceBall, achlupsa, 6mmbrfan, 12 invisible), 1,597 guests, and 704 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,760
Posts18,514,967
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.