Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by gunner500
Damn! Sweet! congrats, great find, i'd have to hunt it.

Same here
I’d have to at least shoot it. Pretty cool find, for sure

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Normally I would agree, and have done so many times with mint-y but not mint collectibles. But, the couple times I've splurged on vintage new-in-the-box somethings I couldn't bring myself to shoot them, and took the profit instead of constantly resisting the urge to shoot them.

One example: a 1940-vintage Colt Officer's Model .38, mint unfired, in its pristine box.* There wasn't even a hint of a trace of a turn mark on the cylinder - the gun had never so much as been cocked. I was proudly showing it to my Dad, and as I saw his thumb moving toward the hammer I yelled "Stop!" A fella offered me a handsome profit and it became his because I would have had dreams (nightmares?) about saying "screw it, I'm gonna shoot it."

* The story went that an Army Air Corps pilot bought it on the eve of shipping out, and didn't make it home from the war, and it laid in a closet for four decades before I bought it. Neat story. True, untrue? Who cares, the gun spoke for itself.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For reasons stated by Gnoahh, I hate any and every gun new in the box but old.

It's a curse on the owner.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I would shoot the crap out of it. Just to hear the gasps and pearl clutching.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have a 1958 Ruger Single Six 22 LR never been fired bought it in late 90's. Probably would sell if right deal came alone.

IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Cardboard can be very expensive

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
H
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
I’m torn. I would like to put my own dings and dents in it, and pass it on if I have kids someday. But I can find clean used ones pretty regularly. That and there are places I hunt where a 30-06 hits a little softer than I’m comfortable with.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Hydemill
I’m torn. I would like to put my own dings and dents in it, and pass it on if I have kids someday. But I can find clean used ones pretty regularly. That and there are places I hunt where a 30-06 hits a little softer than I’m comfortable with.
You must hunt Africa or never tried a 200gr partition??

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Normally I would agree, and have done so many times with mint-y but not mint collectibles. But, the couple times I've splurged on vintage new-in-the-box somethings I couldn't bring myself to shoot them, and took the profit instead of constantly resisting the urge to shoot them.

One example: a 1940-vintage Colt Officer's Model .38, mint unfired, in its pristine box.* There wasn't even a hint of a trace of a turn mark on the cylinder - the gun had never so much as been cocked. I was proudly showing it to my Dad, and as I saw his thumb moving toward the hammer I yelled "Stop!" A fella offered me a handsome profit and it became his because I would have had dreams (nightmares?) about saying "screw it, I'm gonna shoot it."

* The story went that an Army Air Corps pilot bought it on the eve of shipping out, and didn't make it home from the war, and it laid in a closet for
four decades before I bought it. Neat story. True, untrue? Who cares, the gun spoke for itself.

A guy could shoot the op’s rifle, clean it, and no one would even be able to tell. It’s been fired at the factory. But it’s the op’s rifle. He can do what he wants with it.

BSA MAGA
H
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
I have boxes of 200 grain partitions, and they are pretty impressive, I haven’t taken any game with them but have shot them through phone books and spruce trees behind the house. I have witnessed a 7 foot interior grizz shot over a fresh gut pile with 180 partitions (spicy hand loads) in a 30-06. It soaked up the first like nothing happened, enough time to get a second well placed shot. After some nerve wracking tracking we finally found him. After that I decided to pack meat back to the boat/strip with something a little heavier. I also like moose to drop where I want them to, 338 win or 9.3 (knock on wood) has always worked great for me in that sense.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Hydemill
I have boxes of 200 grain partitions, and they are pretty impressive, I haven’t taken any game with them but have shot them through phone books and spruce trees behind the house. I have witnessed a 7 foot interior grizz shot over a fresh gut pile with 180 partitions (spicy hand loads) in a 30-06. It soaked up the first like nothing happened, enough time to get a second well placed shot. After some nerve wracking tracking we finally found him. After that I decided to pack meat back to the boat/strip with something a little heavier. I also like moose to drop where I want them to, 338 win or 9.3 (knock on wood) has always worked great for me in that sense.
I stopped using 180’s because they don’t put 2 holes through elk. The 200 partition penetrates so much better. I’ve also shot them with the 9.3 and 260 partition. I saw no difference between that and the 30-06 loaded with 200’s. I also use a 338wm a lot and it works great, but I’d never feel undergunned with the 30-06 running 200gr partitions.

BSA MAGA
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1badf350, 57 invisible), 2,380 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,044
Posts18,500,842
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.