Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by HandgunHTR
My only issues with it are the fact that it only works with DBM (AICS or AIAW) and conical breach barrels. I don't shoot PRS and the target shooting I do is to prepare me for hunting.
I have yet to find a AICS/AIAW set up where the mag doesn't sit way below the stock line and doesn't rattle. I can't have that in a hunting rifle.

Hawkins Hunter DBM & Mags

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by REDVANES
My only issues with it are the fact that it only works with DBM (AICS or AIAW) and conical breach barrels. I don't shoot PRS and the target shooting I do is to prepare me for hunting.
I have yet to find a AICS/AIAW set up where the mag doesn't sit way below the stock line and doesn't rattle. I can't have that in a hunting rifle.

Yep. Anything that gets built from here on out (strictly hunting stuff for me) gets that setup - no more BDL bottoms.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've only one rifle with an AICS type mag - a 22lr so it's not really important but would a little bit of moleskin on the mag tighten it up - no rattle?

Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My AICS mags don't rattle in Hawkin Hunter bottom metal. Use them for all manner of hunting.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by SKane

Yep. Anything that gets built from here on out (strictly hunting stuff for me) gets that setup - no more BDL bottoms.

Amen brother... I happen to know a guy that sells them too wink

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As other have said, Hawkins Hunter is what I used on my last build, really secure magazine latch, takes a good bit of effort to release mag, flat bottom, no big mag in the way. I carry a cheap polymer in my pack for a quick reload if needed but not really necessary.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/102437975?pid=912178
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1024379340?pid=376361

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by 257Bob
As other have said, Hawkins Hunter is what I used on my last build, really secure magazine latch, takes a good bit of effort to release mag, flat bottom, no big mag in the way. I carry a cheap polymer in my pack for a quick reload if needed but not really necessary.

FYI, to anybody interested. I am a dealer and I sell these.... I also offer FREE SHIPPING

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good to know, thanks!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks Ryan !

TB, CWD and Covid-19 , free so far.....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

FYI, to anybody interested. I am a dealer and I sell these.... I also offer FREE SHIPPING

I can attest that the Midway Nitro Express shipping has nothing on REDVANES. laugh

WWP53D
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R

I can attest that the Midway Nitro Express shipping has nothing on REDVANES. laugh

Haha thanks Buddy

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by GuideGun
That'd work for me - easy to swap out the bolt knob.

And given the price, they're going to get prettier and prettier to folks with each passing day.

I'm telling you, when I started looking at them yesterday my first reaction was, "MEH". Then the longer I stared the more I liked smile

You and me both. Although I would like a Mausingfield.

I think a lot of the distaste with ARC actions comes from that bolt knob they use, which can easily be changed for $30-40. They are their own style with 10-32 threads, but there are some options out there.

The looks grew on me too, I've tried the bolt knob on a mausingfield, and the design works well for running the action fast. The owner of ARC and designer of the action is posting interesting design information in the running thread over on the Hide, I believe he says black versions of the knob would be available for folks who don't like the heat treat straw color. I've been wanting to try the Archimedes action for a while and it looks like this one has most of the features (including the camming bolt handle if you want it) at a great price. The coned breech requirement for smaller cartridges means you can't use any existing prefits, but they seem well aware of the importance of getting some off the shelf options available, are publishing the tenon print and working with some suppliers to get that moving.

Last edited by Gtscotty; 01/12/23.
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Gtscotty
Originally Posted by GuideGun
That'd work for me - easy to swap out the bolt knob.

And given the price, they're going to get prettier and prettier to folks with each passing day.

I'm telling you, when I started looking at them yesterday my first reaction was, "MEH". Then the longer I stared the more I liked smile

You and me both. Although I would like a Mausingfield.

I think a lot of the distaste with ARC actions comes from that bolt knob they use, which can easily be changed for $30-40. They are their own style with 10-32 threads, but there are some options out there.

The looks grew on me too, I've tried the bolt knob on a mausingfield, and the design works well for running the action fast. The owner of ARC and designer of the action is posting interesting design information in the running thread over on the Hide, I believe he says black versions of the knob would be available for folks who don't like the heat treat straw color. I've been wanting to try the Archimedes action for a while and it looks like this one has most of the features (including the camming bolt handle if you want it) at a great price. The coned breech requirement for smaller cartridges means you can't use any existing prefits, but they seem well aware of the importance of getting some off the shelf options available, are publishing the tenon print and working with some suppliers to get that moving.

PVA is working on prefits right now! Just had an instagram post about it

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
My gripes too!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hawkins Hunter BM and mag:

WWP53D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Next issue please.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
It's like they said "how could we make the ugliest action possible," and didn't stop designing until finally adding a butt plug bolt handle.

I'm curious with Remington 700s becoming available once again and the economy seemingly not on the best footing, if the custom action market will cool off.

Was discussing the ARC models earlier today with SKANE as a result of the huge price increases on the Defiance anTi and Tenacity. While the ARC may be fine actions, they are about as hidilous looking as it gets. I'd rather spend my money on a blueprinted Rem 700 than any of the ARC actions.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It’s as “ugly” as all the other custom actions folks gush over. Only ugly I see is the bolt knob and you can change that out.

-gasp- glory be…..they offer nitride without charging more or adding wait time.

Yup.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
you guys looking to get a action now why dont you look at borden or pierce
pierce starts at 995.00 and looks good

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

I read that long actions have to be modified for the Hawkins Hunter DBM - what exactly does that entail?

He went over yonder way
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

524 members (1beaver_shooter, 1moredeer, 01Foreman400, 219 Wasp, 1minute, 1OntarioJim, 61 invisible), 2,624 guests, and 1,369 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,450
Posts18,471,039
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.