Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Gabapentin is a anti seizure drug that is sometimes used as a non opioid drug to treat pain. One of it's fairly common side effects when starting on it is a disinhibition to socially accepted speech. My wife is a doc so she knew this might happen.

I never got much in the way of pain relief from it but for a few weeks there I could say anything that came to mind in mixed company and not get in trouble for it. After a few "what I really thought" comments my very polite Southern bride asked me to watch for her pulling on her ear and when I saw that to PLEASE rethink what I was saying out loud.

It was kind of a preview of what I might be able to freely say when I'm 90 something cool

Please don't feed the trolls!
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tdbob
My mom didn't like to use the "N" word. She preferred to use the term colored.

I say "darkly complected". Usually gets a laugh.

We'd get our mouths soaped if we used the "N" word growing up.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Where I was raised there were no Black people, closer than Denver 300 miles East. I roped off a Black horse named Ni--er, we changed his name when traveling to Rodeo's on the East slope of Colorado, to Sammy Davis Jr. Rio7

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Wife's uncle visited us back in the 70s. He was from Pascagoula. After showing him around the area he asked me where we kept our "nigras". What? Nigras, you know, niqqers.
Told him we didn't have any as for some strange reason our county was almost pure white.
" Well how the hell did you manage that?"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My mother's decline took years but our first inclination was at my "2nd cousin's" wedding reception in Denver. My "2nd cousin" is the daughter of my first cousin. It seems my first cousin had a black GI as her boyfriend and the first cousin got pregnant resulting in the young "2nd cousin". The GI took off or was transferred and the "2nd cousin" has never met her father. But, she was always a smart girl and for a lack of a better word "precious". My first cousin raised her well with a good work ethic and positive attitude. She is now a Physicians Assistant (PA) at a local hospital in Grand Junction Colorado.

While at the reception the "2nd cousin" started talking about enrolling in a PA school. She knew she wanted to go but she hadn't decided on just where. By the way my "2nd cousin" was 40 years old at the time of her wedding reception so she decided now was the time before she got any older to get married and go back to school. My mom asked "I didn't know they let your kind in ?". The "2nd cousin" took it all in stride and skipped over it. I was the one who was mortified. My mother who has been around this "2nd cousin" for 40 years and never gave one care about her skin color and now suddenly thought it was an issue.

Unfortunately, her attitude and mental capabilities continued to go down hill for the next 5 years until her passing about folks with a dark skin color. Luckily for us brothers we live in a small town with virtually no people of color or I can only imagine what words would of been falling out of her mouth.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Seafire
Step Dad was a young Marine in 1949 and was stationed in NYC, and got engaged to an Italian gal from the Bronx. Her mother came down to Chattanooga TN, to visit his mother since their two children were engaged to each other. Then Bob got transferred to Japan, and then South Korea was invaded by N. Korea, and he was with the first Marines to be shipped over from Japan to Korea. He spent his entire time, until the Korea War ended on his 21st Birthday, July 27, 1953.

Meanwhile after being there for 6 months, his fiancé from NYC wrote him a dear John letter and told him she was engaged and then married to some other guy. But her mother " Mrs DiRusso", had gotten to know and loved my grandmother, ever summer she'd come down to Tennessee and visit her for a month or so...They became lifelong friends. Mrs DiRusso also came to visit us, no matter where my dad was stationed at, the whole time I was growing up. It was like she was a third grandmother.

She has always came down from New York to visit my Grandmother. Well in 1972, she instead convinced the family to send Grandma up to NYC, to visit her, since the furthest north she'd even been was Washington DC, which was pretty much home base for our family.

Mrs DiRusso was pretty involved in Democrat Politics, and in 1972 she was campaigning and on the committee for Bela Abzug for Congress. The one reservation she had while Grandma was up there, was she had a large meeting to go to at lunch time at a restaurant ran by black women, specializing in "Soul Food". The gal who owned the place told Mrs DiRusso to go ahead and bring her. Grandma who was born in 1900 was like most people in Tennessee in 1972, called black folks N*^@gers. She meant no harm in it...Grandma was also kind of shy and standoffish...

So at the restaurant there in Harlem, they close up and they were going to each lunch and then do their political meetings, when Bela Abzug was suppose to show up. So they asked Grandma if she had ever had soul food. Her response was she never even heard of it...." oh you're in for a treat!" she was told.. they serve it and she was telling them, why do you call this soul food? This is the same type of food I grew up on in Tennessee.

So they were waiting for her to take a bite or two, all interested in what her opinion of it would be....So when she was asked how did she like it? her response was her usual, " oh its good"... but her face said different. " you don't like it do ya?"..... her response was did you put this in it, or that?
"NO" was the response....the cooks wanted her to come in the kitchen and show how she would cook it... Grandma was the first person they had ever had contact that knew how to cook all of this stuff.. some little old White Lady from Tennessee....

Well in the kitchen, women being women.... Grandma is adding all of this or that, and the Black Ladies loved EVERYTHING she did to their recipes...
They are writing ALL of this down.. Soon they are in there slapping each other on the back, laughing etc. Mrs DiRusso almost had a heart attack when Grandma made the state statemen " Y'all are the nicest bunch of N*^@gers I've ever been around"..

Instead of being shocked, or mad these women started laughing like crazy, either hugging her or slapping her on the back.. and someone tells Grandma she's the nicest Southern Redneck they ever met....The political meeting went out the window, Bela Abzug could never make it any way.

My grandmother ended up getting a Christmas card from each of these women, until they passed or she passed in 1986. My granddad was pretty shocked when many of these black women from Harlem would make a trip down to Chattanooga in pairs or threesomes to visit her for a week or two...

Grandpa didn't warm up to people like Grandma did, so it was hard time when some of those women visit... he would take off and spend a week or two with some of his own kids when Grandma "had company"....

Being from the south, at least in our family.. white and black folks got along a lot better, than you see white and black people getting along since my college days and beyond...

Sure there were hard core rednecks and hard core black racists back then, but I think it is has gotten a lot worse since the 70s than I saw growing up.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My paternal grandmother (1893-1993) was raised by a brother in Mobile, AL.
She had no inhibitions towards blacks in general and was never shy about putting an "uppity [bleep]" in their place....whether the person was right or wrong. Loved my grandmother, but it got to where I just about refused to take her to town.

My mother (1921-2020) was pretty much the same, but growing up poor, she was a bit more tolerant than grandma....but not much. The "N" word was much more regulated! LOL!

Mom worked at as a checker at a Brookshire's grocery store. Due to the location of the store, most of the bag boys were black. A couple were arguing back and forth about the "N" word. Mom finally stepped over to a store shelf near her checkout stand, grabbed a can and handed it to the offended kid.
She gave him a can with a black guy on the label that stated "[bleep] Shrimp".

"[bleep]" is perceived as a version of the word "negro".

"[bleep]" is actually a term for a lazy, stupid person and has absolutely nothing to do with skin color or race....but apparently not by America's blacks.

A fellow that I worked with was funny.
When he heard the term "African-American", he would ask them, "What is your nationality?"
Most immediately replied, "I'm African-American."
He came right back with, "That's your race. What is your nationality?"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Ranger99
Originally Posted by kennymauser
When I was growing up my dad who was from Iowa, took us kids Ni**GER fishing a lot! . . .

In this region, that was what was said when
one person was using 10 cane poles with a
bobber as big as a baseball and fishing for
bream and catfish. No intentional carp
fishing, but none got thrown back

You'd see them either arriving or leaving in
a sedan de ville with a huge wad of cane
poles poking out of the back window

LOL ! Nailed it ! 😂

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Walking with my Gramps up the sidewalk in town one day, met a Black guy, one of the only 3 black families around there. They immediately started insulting each other, Gramps calling him a darky jigaboo and various other things about his monkey heritage, the black guy calling gramps a ******* ghost that been in the sun too long and so forth. This went on for a few seconds then they started talking about hunting and my gramps old camp in the swamp. Anyway my Gramps gave him the key to the camp to use and told him not to wear his shoe polish to bed cause if it stained the sheets again he would boil him in a pot of bleach...

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Coming from a small coal mining town in SW PA, we were called Dagos.Then there there were Spics, Hunkies, Cheeseheads, Micks, Johnny Bulls. We often referred to blacks as [bleep] to their faces. No one was offended. Years later I leaned a [bleep] was a worthless person, with no reference to their skin collar.

We never tried to date girls from other ethnic groups which usually resulted in an ass whippin from that group. I dated an Irish girl once. Her father told me to go back to the Dago community. I did, but made sure the next guy she dated had seconds, not the the first. I ended up marrying one. It didn't take though. Those redheads were hot blooded gals.

My ex FIL & MIL were Irish, they hated my guts

As referred to above, I never knew what Brazil nuts were.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B3

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Gone haywire.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

297 members (204guy, 1_deuce, 222ND, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 37 invisible), 14,174 guests, and 1,115 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,227
Posts18,543,941
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.