Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
The pump rifles never caught on around here like the 742’s did years ago. Later years when I was able to be around them and shoot them I rank them a lot higher than a lever action but we all know how popular the lever guns are.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Saw a very late model 760 in 35 Rem at a gun show this morning. It was in almost new condition. Never been scoped, extra mag - marked 35 Rem. Guy had it on a table and was asking $1500 for it, and did sell it. For how much I don't know, but I saw it walk out the door.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
If it was in that sorta condition I can bet it went for about that. Those suckers are getting expensive!

Semper Fi
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by Dave_Spn
The more I use a 760, the more I realize how overrated they truly are.

LOL .... Those who like the 760/7600s really do like them a lot and those that don't really don't. Not much middle ground on that and largely it depends on where you hunt. They're not that popular out west where the bolt gun rules. Here in the east they do work very well for our hunting and are a dependable alternative to the problematic 740/742/7400s.

I've owned one or more for almost 40 years, and while I do shoot bolt guns more now I do very much like the pump guns. They are accurate, dependable and handle well while being easy to load for. They will take a surprisingly heavy load compared to a lever gun. I've never had any serious issues with any that I've owned. The two big issues with them are the mags will wear out and fail to seat properly in the gun and the forends will rattle. The forend rattle is easy to fix on the 2nd gen 760s with a new O-ring and the mags have been very easy to replace.

It's not so much where you hunt, it's about functionality, and the 760's fail in those regards. I guess if I lived in a place where I shot one deer every 10 years, I'd never notice.

What if Jessie's girl is Stacy's mom, and her phone number is 867-5309
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

LOL .... Those who like the 760/7600s really do like them a lot and those that don't really don't. Not much middle ground on that and largely it depends on where you hunt. They're not that popular out west where the bolt gun rules. Here in the east they do work very well for our hunting and are a dependable alternative to the problematic 740/742/7400s.

I've owned one or more for almost 40 years, and while I do shoot bolt guns more now I do very much like the pump guns. They are accurate, dependable and handle well while being easy to load for. They will take a surprisingly heavy load compared to a lever gun. I've never had any serious issues with any that I've owned. The two big issues with them are the mags will wear out and fail to seat properly in the gun and the forends will rattle. The forend rattle is easy to fix on the 2nd gen 760s with a new O-ring and the mags have been very easy to replace.

It's not so much where you hunt, it's about functionality, and the 760's fail in those regards. I guess if I lived in a place where I shot one deer every 10 years, I'd never notice.

Overall dependability is one of the features most noted for the 760s. It's too bad you weren't able to get one to work for you.

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
No issues with the 760's here. Both shoot great, and they don't rattle either.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

Overall dependability is one of the features most noted for the 760s. It's too bad you weren't able to get one to work for you.

Ok, but experience trumps F&S articles.

What if Jessie's girl is Stacy's mom, and her phone number is 867-5309
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

You had alot of troubles with 760/7600's working well for you?

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I got to scoping that 760 today and giving it a once over.

I noticed that the mags (both marked 35Rem) had different followers and spacers and got out some other 308 mags and found that the one 35 mag has the same follower as a 308 mag.

The mag on the left is the 308 mag. Two on right are 35Remington. Can anyone confirm what their 35Rem mag followers look like?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

How much experience do I need to be credible, Dave? ...... Good call out, BTW.

Here is a list of the 760/7600s I've owned over the last 35years or more as best as I can remember without embellishment. I hand loaded for them all.

223 - 1
223 (7615) - 1
270 - 1
308 - 4
30-06 - 7
35 Remington - 3
35 Whelen - 8
358 Winchester - 1 (rechambered from 35 Remington)

Last edited by SuperCub; 01/08/23. Reason: Numbers updated from records
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Ya ... Not buying it.

I've had 760s/7600s

.270(2)
30-06(2)
.300sav (3)

And I've used a friend's .243 as well.

And never had an issue.

And I shoot more than once every ten years.

I've used them in Wyoming. I've used them in PA.

I've used them on deer, bear and antelope.

Shots from a few feet to nearly 500 yards.

Hand loads. Factory loads.

Reliability is not a concern.

And to be honest I'm not that big of a fan of them. At this point I have one .30-06 7600 and one. 300 sav 760. I'll add a .35WL if I ever come across a decent deal on one. But they're far from my favorite rifle. But it's not because of reliability.

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
The 760 mags are all the same box. The difference is the followers and the spacer blocks used in short action calibers. If you look at the photos above you can see the spacer blocks. If you can find followers for te 35 Rem you can use any of the short action cartridge mags.
And I recall that the magazines for the 742 will work as well but I don't think they made those in 35 Rem.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WStrayer
The 760 mags are all the same box. The difference is the followers and the spacer blocks used in short action calibers. If you look at the photos above you can see the spacer blocks. If you can find followers for te 35 Rem you can use any of the short action cartridge mags.

The mag boxes are the same but there are some dimensional differences between the feed rails on top of the 308 and 35R boxes. The 308 boxes will not fit into the 35Rem rifle without forcing it. While I have not tried it yet, I think that some tweaking on the rails on the 308 box may allow it to fit.

Both the 35Rem mags in the pic will properly feed ammo into the rifle so the different follower doesn't seem to be a problem.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by WStrayer
And I recall that the magazines for the 742 will work as well but I don't think they made those in 35 Rem.

Short or long doesn't make much of a difference. The 760/7600 mags suck. I had a .35 Rem that wouldn't feed for squat with the .35 Rem marked mag. I put in a 30-06 and tried it...fed flawlessly. Tried a .270, flawless, tried a .308/243/7-08....yep, flawless. Not one of them looked the same. If you have trouble with your gun feeding, bet your wife's paycheck it's the mag.

Camp is where you make it.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have (1) 7mm-08 mag (perhaps for limited edition of 7600?), and (2) 35 Remington magazines. Both 35 rem mags look like the center mag in Supercubs photo. The 7mm-08 mag looks like the mag on the left. The magazine on the right is foreign to anything in my collection.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Gaschekt
I have (1) 7mm-08 mag (perhaps for limited edition of 7600?), and (2) 35 Remington magazines. Both 35 rem mags look like the center mag in Supercubs photo. The 7mm-08 mag looks like the mag on the left. The magazine on the right is foreign to anything in my collection.

Thank you for that. I suspect the mag on the right is an older 35R mag and they changed the configuration to more like yours later.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
It took me about 45 years of hunting in PA with dozens of different rifles - bolts primarily but pumps and levers also to figure out that for still hunting and/or tracking whitetails (or any woodland creatures) I personally think the 760/7600 can’t be beat for shots on running animals. Many other rifles I have handle better, are lighter, etc….but for quick on target shots I can’t shoot any faster with the other types. This year I had a buck spot me while still hunting and take off - the first shot hit him (a little further back than I wanted) and I had to shoot very quickly to get him down before he disappeared - the next shot was rushed (missed) and the third shot hit him in the spine. Those three shots were likely about 5 seconds apart considering the relatively short distance he covered - any longer and I would have had a tracking job on hand. I really don’t think I could have done that with a bolt or lever. Ideally if given time for a shot it really doesn’t matter but I was glad I had a 760.

I have them in .222, 6mm, .257 Roberts, .270 Winchester, .280 Remington, .30-06 .35 Remington (same year as the OP) and .358 Winchester. This year’s buck was with the .257 Roberts but I mostly hunt with the .35s. I have never had a problem with one but like most rifles I’m sure they have issues and have seen very dirty ones/well used have some functioning problems.

PennDog

Last edited by PennDog; 01/11/23.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
I got to scoping that 760 today and giving it a once over.

I noticed that the mags (both marked 35Rem) had different followers and spacers and got out some other 308 mags and found that the one 35 mag has the same follower as a 308 mag.

The mag on the left is the 308 mag. Two on right are 35Remington. Can anyone confirm what their 35Rem mag followers look like?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I don't have any 35 Rem mags but that one on the right looks exactly like the 300 Savage mag I recently picked up.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
M
Muddly Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Well.
I tried the 200 grain Core Lokts over 45 grains of Hodgdon LVR, Winchester brass and primers, 2.495 o.a.l.
Velocity 2284 fps! Factory 200gr Leverevolutions clock at 2185...
Accuracy is SUPERB! Have gotten a number of inch or less groups at 100 yards. Larger than an inch and a half for three is rare.
I found a n.i.b. 1978, J prefix, Leupold M8 4x and put it in a standard base and rings.
Recoil isn't terrible, but you KNOW you pulled the trigger.

Keepin my back green and my powder dry.
The LORD bless and keep you
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I chased accuracy with three different 35 Rem rifles using that same "Super" data. I wasted alot of powder, bullets, and primers. Standard data has produced exceptional in all of them. Buy a 356/358 if you need more horsepower. You'll thank me later.

Medics bury their mistakes..
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

293 members (2ndwind, 257_X_50, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 34 invisible), 2,278 guests, and 1,161 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,862
Posts18,478,591
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.