Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I know a LEO that was off duty and witnessed a large dog mauling a young girl in a parking lot. He was carrying a Bersa 380 that day and stuck the barrel in the left side of the dogs chest and fired once. Dog went limp and he helped the girl until paramedics arrived. Lots of witnesses, one guy was trying to kick the dog off of the girl when he told him to step back. He said there was a lot of paperwork involved, girl was in the hospital for a few days, and surprisingly nobody tried to crucify him for killing the dog. He later found out that the owner of the dog fled the scene after the attack began and he couldnt stop the dog from hurting the girl. Never heard anything about it after that.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Around here it’s legal to shoot them.
I

If a dog is attacking some it would be a bit tricky to shoot the dog and not hit the person being attacked

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by jwp475
I

If a dog is attacking some it would be a bit tricky to shoot the dog and not hit the person being attacked

Shoot the dog in the pelvis. Won’t kill it but it takes its mind off chewing on the person.
Saw it work in a coyote vs dog scrap…

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
A dog that's dragging its paralyzed azz from a spine shot probably isn't going to be interested in pressing on with an attack. Then you can take your time aiming for a kill shot.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Just shoot the damn thing.

P

Bingo. Or open it with a knife.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B2

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Johnny Dollar
Had some yearlings in a Sandhills pasture about 5 miles from anyone and stopped to check the water and count and look them over. On the way out, I left the pickup door open while I opened the gate. Went back to get into the truck and a border collie mix lunged at my face and snapped at me…about 6” from my nose. Almost died of a heart attack right there. Nice looking dog, had a collar. I figured she ran off while someone was working cattle. I tried to talk to her and thought she’d calmed down but she nipped me on the arm when I tried to touch her. I had work to do so I grabbed the wire stretcher out of the box and used it like a shepherds hook to catch her and tossed her into the ditch. She absolutely vanished from there.
Having the damn mutt lunge at me from the pickup seat had me about as shocked as I’ve ever been.

Dayom.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Hands-on... grabbed lower jaw.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

What did the dog look like?

P

A lot like this. Exactly like this, actually, since that's Petey shown. AKA Birdy's Sleeper Cell Killer Pit. Dedicated to eradicating all Mestizos... wink

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

And yeah, I'm pretty sure Petey ended up as dead as Elvis, but not during that attack and not at STX's hands...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I cut asparagus before school, riding my bike in the dark to the job. Halfway there a tall, heavy, mixed breed dog chased me a couple of mornings in a row, biting at my pedaling legs. The third morning I had my asparagus knife in hand as I approached the dog’s ambush spot. The knife was a pro style: a long steel rod with a flat rectangular blade a couple of inches wide riveted to the end. The blade is wicked sharp, with the cutting edge angled across the end of it.

The dog attacked and I swung at him, intending to whack him across his muzzle with the steel rod of the knife. I missed. Instead, the sharp blade sliced off the end of his nose, a very thin wafer, like a potato chip of dog nose. Whooeee that must have hurt. The dog never bothered me again.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Okanagan
I cut asparagus before school, riding my bike in the dark to the job. Halfway there a tall, heavy, mixed breed dog chased me a couple of mornings in a row, biting at my pedaling legs. The third morning I had my asparagus knife in hand as I approached the dog’s ambush spot. The knife was a pro style: a long steel rod with a flat rectangular blade a couple of inches wide riveted to the end. The blade is wicked sharp, with the cutting edge angled across the end of it.

The dog attacked and I swung at him, intending to whack him across his muzzle with the steel rod of the knife. I missed. Instead, the sharp blade sliced off the end of his nose, a very thin wafer like a potato chip of dog nose. Whooeee that must have hurt. The dog never bothered me again.
Negative reinforcement tends to teach dogs quickly. grin

We had a basement apartment in West Berlin under a lady's house a few blocks from the compound. You entered the yard through the front gate and then went around the house to the entrance. She owned a German Shepherd named Senta that would stalk you and try to bite you from behind every damn time, you had to walk backwards to keep it in view.

One day one of the guys came over after an alert so he was in full combat gear complete with the old steel pot helmet. Senta did her thing as usual, so he took off his steel pot and whacked her over the head with it, just about knocked her out. She still stalked us after that but always stayed a good 8-10 feet away.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by kamo_gari

P

A lot like this. Exactly like this, actually, since that's Petey shown. AKA Birdy's Sleeper Cell Killer Pit. Dedicated to eradicating all Mestizos... wink

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

And yeah, I'm pretty sure Petey ended up as dead as Elvis, but not during that attack and not at STX's hands...

I thought Roger killed him with his bare hands? That’s not so?

MAGA
IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
A dog that’s truly large enough to attack me gets one of two options. Left hand gets to fend the dog off enough to either pull my 45 or the tactical knife I carry. Dog doesn’t leave the spot alive.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

P
Dead
That was Petey, wasn't it Roger?

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by 700LH
Threatening?
I had a pit and a german shepherd attack me.
I finally grabbed the pits lower jaw and twisted until it whined then as it was dragged along I kicked the shepherd escaping
That wont happen again I keep a easy open knife clipped on my jeans pocket now so reaching into your pocket to get a folding stockman won't be necessary.

That worked out well. Loose any blood? I usually wear a sheath knife. Escaping meaning the dogs left?

Dog I rescued in January

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Story ; a lad in our neighborhood Chuck Snyder rode a bicycle to his job, he was several years older than me. Upper teens - me 10-12 years old.
He was rigging up a piece of cloth? sock? with fishing line with a few big'ish treble hooks in it. Tied to ?10-12-14? pound fishing line to teach a big dog not to chase and try to bite him.
Not sure how he held it or whatever but he said he went by pedaling fast and the dog took the bait and broke the line as planned. He said it ran into the ditch raising cane whining and such. Dirty trick kinda, but?

Another time he killed a shepard by breaking its neck, he was one of those teens who was big and strong. Looked like a man when he was 14-15.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by JPro
Depends on the severity of the fight and the size of the participants. I'm certainly not likely to shoot or stab somebody's rat terrier that is trying to nip a grown man. I likely wouldn't hesitate 2 seconds with a big dog that has a small child down on the ground.

I've seen the sound of gunfire break up a dog fight sometimes (2 dogs fighting each other), but I've also seen it fail with "country dogs" that are used to gunfire. I've also broken up 2 big dogs by just pouring a bottle of water on their heads while they were locked up. Have also seen a full power water hose in the face fail with other dogs. I suppose every situation is different.

That does work sometimes even on people. My dad broke up a heck of a fight one time by turning the hose on two of my friends that came over back in the 70's. Neither could come up with a reason it looked like a fight to the death in the front yard. Sadly the option of a hose is not always there. I like to grab the dog most likely to bite me by the collar or by the hind legs and wheelbarrow him back. You really need two people to separate say a Blue tic Hound and a Pit bull who took exception to each others position on the hog. You really don't want either dog hurt nor do you really want to improve your stitching skills or pay vet bills.

Dog I rescued in January

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by ol_mike
I read about a man who President Teddy Roosevelt went wolf hunting in Texas with.
Folks claimed the man had never been injured when ''catching wolves''. He'd get in close as the hunting dogs worked around the wolf they had bayed-up, when the wolf tried to bite the man he grabbed the lower jaw and took full control of the animal.
It sounded like such an adventure President Roosevelt contacted the man and went along on a wolf hunt.

I've done that gently to dogs just to see the amount of control, > they're very easy to control especially if they have a long type jaw. < Which a pitbull doesn't, no doubt a pitbull would be hard to handle like that.

Many times the problem with pits is getting them to let go. This is especially true of fight trained dogs. My method involves grabbing the dog by the muzzle and mashing his lips between his teeth as hard as possible.

Dog I rescued in January

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Just shoot the damn thing.

P

That can be hard to do when you are the one with a big dog head attached to your body. Some dogs have really bony heads and a bullet might end up in you due to being deflected. Shooting into the body around the neck in a direction not yours I guess is the safest bet but not 100%.

Dog I rescued in January

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by rickt300
Originally Posted by ol_mike
I read about a man who President Teddy Roosevelt went wolf hunting in Texas with.
Folks claimed the man had never been injured when ''catching wolves''. He'd get in close as the hunting dogs worked around the wolf they had bayed-up, when the wolf tried to bite the man he grabbed the lower jaw and took full control of the animal.
It sounded like such an adventure President Roosevelt contacted the man and went along on a wolf hunt.

I've done that gently to dogs just to see the amount of control, > they're very easy to control especially if they have a long type jaw. < Which a pitbull doesn't, no doubt a pitbull would be hard to handle like that.

Many times the problem with pits is getting them to let go. This is especially true of fight trained dogs. My method involves grabbing the dog by the muzzle and mashing his lips between his teeth as hard as possible.

Why not a break-stick?
Guy I knew in Florlda used a plastic tent peg, joog it into the back of their mouth enough to gag them.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Some of these responses are comical at best. Sitting on your couch all these grab em by the jaw shove your hand down the throat bullshite sounds good. Real life good luck.

We had a Belgian mallinois and handler with us in Afghanistan. I’ve watched several Sand Niqqers try to fight off the dogs. Sometimes when we was sure the towel head was unarmed the handler would let the dog fight it out. He said always stopping the attack frustrated the dog and would diminish the dogs killer instinct. So we let ‘em have at it. The dog would take fist to the head ear pulling one sand niqqer even bit the dog lol. The dog fu€king loved it the more they fought the more aggressive he would get. Bit off fingers was what trying to grab the dogs mouth would get you. When the dog got the throat it was over period.

Gunshot is the answer or a club of some kind a knife if the dog has you down as last resort. Pulling a knife on a big pit Bull that’s is coming at you is not going to go the way you hope lol. You might make it but it ain’t gonna be pretty.

Anyway never mind what I said y’all seem to have it figured out lol.

Last edited by Dp1975; 01/12/23. Reason: Sand niqqer was bleeped out that’s why
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by justin10mm
Guy down the road got out of his car to close or close a gate when a pit knocked him down from behind that he never saw. I heard the story second hand but apparently he managed to get ahold of its front legs and pulled them apart somehow that ended the attack. Got chewed up pretty bad.

They should all be shot on sight in my opinion.

If they have ahold of a child or a pet you shouldn't try pulling them away. That's the last thing you want to do is play tug of war. You drive in the attack on them. Gut them with a blade or put a bullet down between their shoulder blades. If you're bare handed you're going to have to be a little more creative. I imagine a good solid stomp to the hips would have a decent chance of breaking or dislocating their pelvis. Ripping the back legs apart would have the same effect.

Whellbarrow the dog and then drop a knee heavily into it's pelvis straight down If killing the dog is the plan. dislocating hips or crushing the pelvis will get the dog to let the kid go. I cut dogs no slack that have a kid in their mouth. Breaking up dog fights is an art that cannot be easily explained and if you are by yourself you could get bitten by either dog. Always go for the dog most likely to bite you first. The one you have the least verbal power over. I get control of one dog and yell at the other offering it solid thumps with a boot toe if it does not back off. Whenever you see a dog with a spiked collar consider that a bad sign.

Dog I rescued in January

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (1eyedmule, 160user, 1234, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 75 invisible), 2,024 guests, and 1,192 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,831
Posts18,496,650
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.