Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Pfffffffff.....if your ever up in Alberta let's go shooting and we will see who gets the last laugh Maxwell, lol

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by KillerBee; 01/12/23.

KB

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very entertaining thread.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by KillerBee
Pfffffffff.....if your ever up in Alberta let's go shooting and we will see who gets the last laugh Maxwell, lol

It would be more telling for you to shoot that rig someplace besides where it's sighted in and is commonly used. If you don't know where it's zeroed, how do you account for atmospheric changes and changes to cartridge componentry?

Maybe you only use it at one location and you've put away a lifetime supply of the ammo you use? But, this isn't the reality for a lot of hunters who travel and or shoot a lot and are constrained to use different components here and there in times of shortage

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Starbuck

It would be more telling for you to shoot that rig someplace besides where it's sighted in and is commonly used. If you don't know where it's zeroed, how do you account for atmospheric changes and changes to cartridge componentry?

Maybe you only use it at one location and you've put away a lifetime supply of the ammo you use? But, this isn't the reality for a lot of hunters who travel and or shoot a lot and are constrained to use different components here and there in times of shortage

My concern would also be - factory ammo changes, I'm SOL with the custom turret. Need a new one and lay in another supply of the new factory ammo.

It's why I prefer turrets that are simply MIL/MOA - works on all loads, all locations.

KB - if it works for you, great. Only person that has to be happy is you. Just a discussion and for me, the last thing I'd ever own is a turret or BDC type reticle that's married to a specific load because once that load changes either by accident or design - the turret becomes inaccurate.

Me

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Teal
Originally Posted by huntsman22
I doubt it. If you explained it, you probably still wouldn't know where it was zero'ed.....

I don't need to know with my Huskemaw, but I am prepared to explain if you like? I can find out with 1 phone call.

I can understand how that sounds funny, but there is really no need to know with my Huskemaw. With my BSA P17, that is an entirely different matter and I have to know where it is zeroed, in fact I zeroed it myself.

Not trying to be confrontational, just trying to give you some insight, because I know it will make sense to you, if I do :o)

I think his point is - if someone else did load development and etched the turret - all it takes is variation in that load components to make all of it useless. Change from base to ogive in a different lot of bullets - you're off at range. Change in powder consistency, brass volume, primer ignition - all off and different.

Good morning Teal, I trust your coffee was good this AM and your day has started off well.

Your summary is pretty much spot on, with the exception that I do not load my own rounds,, neither did my gunsmith, but they did etch the turret and tested 5 different rounds/Brands at their 800yard range through the new barrel I put on it, to find the best round for that particular barrel.

I only shoot factory rounds. With my custom built .300 Win Mag Weatherby I shoot Nosler Trophy Grade ABLRs in 190gr. If I switched rounds I would have to get another turret etched to match the ballistics, so you are correct.

There is a little more to the story, since I altered this rifle from its factory state, which shot like chit. To make a long story short, it is a LR Killing machine now and it definately was not that out of the box.

Have a great Thursday!

KB
So what do you do with temperature changes? Or elevation? How much ammo do you have from that exact same lot? What will you do when you run out? As many are insinuating, this is not a process to be outsourced. It’s something the shooter should do himself, as there should be a required minimum level of knowledge if one is to become a long range hunter. This is not a place for taking the easy route.

I’m not trying to be confrontational either, but the vibe you are getting about this stems from the fact that in the opinion of most, you should not be hunting live animals at any real distance when you don’t have even the most basic understanding of how or where your rifle is zero’d. The Huskemaw marketing campaign of “just crank our blue turret and bang away” with zero experience or little knowledge required, rubs people the wrong way, and you are exemplifying it.

Last edited by SDHNTR; 01/12/23.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

Good morning Starbuck, I trust you are off to a great and fun Thursday!

I am not by any means an expert on ballistics, and there are thousands of folks that can run circles around me on the topic, that is for sure. I do not load my own rounds anymore for the simple reason that I do not shoot enough to warrant the expense in order to do so.

My typical year of hunting I hunt for around 4 days and come home with three Deer and a moose, and I shoot as many rounds. I can say this about myself I happen to be a very good shot.

I only hunt in certain locations in Alberta, at the moment, pretty much same elevations. When I figured out which ammo my rifle loved I bought 10 boxes of them (and it wasn't cheap!)with the same lot # and that will last me for quite a few more years.

In order to etch the Huskemaw turret you need to send the information of the round you are using to include elevation etc, you hunt in and the Huskemaw distributors do the work.

This is the second rifle I have put a Huskemaw on, the first was my Browning Mountain Ti in .300 WSM, awesome rifle! I trust my Gunsmiths to to my work, they are considered the best in Canada, and they are one of two gun stores and gunsmiths (I believe) in Canada that sell and set up the Huskemaw.

Both rifles sent back to me are sub-MOA shooters and it does not get better than that f you ask me. I specifically bought the rifle I posted pictures of to hunt Elk, because them Bastirds are always 500 yards+ away when you get an opportunity and my .30-06. isn't set up for that type of shooting.

Have a great day ~

KB

KB

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

I am not by any means an expert on ballistics, and there are thousands of folks that can run circles around me on the topic, that is for sure. I do not load my own rounds anymore for the simple reason that I do not shoot enough to warrant the expense in order to do so.

My typical year of hunting I hunt for around 4 days and come home with three Deer and a moose, and I shoot as many rounds. I can say this about myself I happen to be a very good shot.

I only hunt in certain locations in Alberta, at the moment, pretty much same elevations. When I figured out which ammo my rifle loved I bought 10 boxes of them (and it wasn't cheap!)with the same lot # and that will last me for quite a few more years.

In order to etch the Huskemaw turret you need to send the information of the round you are using to include elevation etc, you hunt in and the Huskemaw distributors do the work.

This is the second rifle I have put a Huskemaw on, the first was my Browning Mountain Ti in .300 WSM, awesome rifle! I trust my Gunsmiths to to my work, they are considered the best in Canada, and they are one of two gun stores and gunsmiths (I believe) in Canada that sell and set up the Huskemaw.

Both rifles sent back to me are sub-MOA shooters and it does not get better than that f you ask me. I specifically bought the rifle I posted pictures of to hunt Elk, because them Bastirds are always 500 yards+ away when you get an opportunity and my .30-06. isn't set up for that type of shooting.

Have a great day ~

KB

KB:

Seems to fit your use profile. Glad you're happy with it. My questions were aimed at providing context for those who see this thread and would potentially expect the system and methodologies you and others use to be transferable to their situations, only to be let down because some key expectations they might have at the outset aren't addressed.

Certainly BDC reticles and turrets are serviceable for the hunter who hunts in the same area/elevation year over year and only uses a supply of ammo that is exactly the same in every way. My point is that is not a lot of hunters; I know a few guys who've taken their custom turret equiped rigs to different places and were let down at the most inopportune time because they were lulled into a false sense of long range confidence/capability by purveyors and marketers of custom turrets.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I figured out which ammo my rifle loved I bought 10 boxes of them (and it wasn't cheap!)with the same lot # and that will last me for quite a few more years.

Hey KB

Sounds like no shooting was done to verify the drops on the engraved turrets BEFORE they were engraved

They may be close, but I doubt it

Also, if 200 rounds will last you “years”, I hope you are shooting other rifles for practice. No one with any clue whatsoever believes that they can be proficient with a rifle at longer ranges where turrets need dialing by creating less spent primers than it takes to fill a thimble

The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Y
Yaddio Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Y
OP here:
I've handloaded a bunch of rounds for this gun. 240 Wby. IMR-4350 and 70 grain Hammer Hunters. Weatherby and Norma brass. Fed 210M. I've only shot one box of factory ammo thru this gun and it was 30 years ago with the box of ammo that came with the gun. I have plenty of brass to last in the future. The rifle has evolved from a stock Mk V to a rifle with a Shilen barrel and McMillan stock. Scope is a VX-3HD CDS 4.5 x 14, 40mm.

3668 fps avg. 5/8 inch groups.

100 +1.5 inches
200 +1.4 inches
250 zero
300 -2.4 inches
350 -5.9 inches
400 -10.6 inches

The above is calculated using the Hornady Ballistic Calculator and Chronographed at 10 feet.

I'm required to shoot lead-free bullets. (95 partitions were my bullet of choice before lead-free).

I try to hunt weekly, weather permitting, at a ranch in Central California where the temps don't change too drastically. Same for the elevation, not much change. I hunt for coyotes for the most part, but would whack a pig with it if given the opprotunity. I have plenty of rifles, so if I travel to hunt I'm well stocked with rifles for all sorts and sizes of game from eastern whitetail thru Africa Plains Game.

I wouldn't order a turret using the Hornady Ballistic calculations only, but I will verify at actual distances, but from past experience the ballistic calculators are pretty close. First custom turret is free from Leupold. If I decide to change loads in the future I can order another for $80 bucks, but I don't anticipate changing loads anytime soon. I have 60 rounds loaded up and am almost out of IMR-4350, so I'm good for a while. I'm sure 4350 will turn up in the future. Hammer Hunters seem to be ALWAYS in stock. Thank God I have primers.

Since this rifle shoots so flat I believe I'm going to zero the rifle at 250 yards and dial up for 350+. Mostly the yotes come running in and most of my shots are under 100-200 yards. I've had them hang up at 400-450 before, so I would like to dial up for the coyotes that don't want to cooperate.

It's been interesting reading all the reports on how people use turrets. Appreciate all the comments.

Liars should have good memories.
H. Babcock
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
When I figured out which ammo my rifle loved I bought 10 boxes of them (and it wasn't cheap!)with the same lot # and that will last me for quite a few more years.

Hey KB

Sounds like no shooting was done to verify the drops on the engraved turrets BEFORE they were engraved

Also, if 200 rounds will last you “years”, I hope you are shooting other rifles for practice. No one with any clue whatsoever believes that they can be proficient with a rifle at longer ranges where turrets need dialing by creating less spent primers than it takes to fill a thimble

Hello there rcamuglia, I trust your new year is going great and you are ready for another year of good health and fun!

Not sure exactly how many rounds they put through it, but I can tell you that when I got it back the paint was worn off the bottom of the stock butt. Not only did they shoot it a lot, they also shot 5 different brand name rounds through it to determine which bullet the new barrel like the best Nosler was the most accurate.

Corlane Sporting Goods Ltd in Dawson Creek in BC do my work for me and they are excellent! Not only do they sell Huskemaw they also build custom LR rifles from scratch for hunters throughout Canada.

I shoot at the beginning of each year to make sure the rifle scope is on and it have not been knocked around, no issues so far, and never had a single misfire due to a bad primer.

In my youth I personally handloaded thousands of rounds. I had lots of misfires back in them days with primers that we purchased in bulk. Never had that issue with of the shelf yet, but you could be right and it may happen. If it does I will have to buy more ammo right? I would hate to take a shot on and elk and not hear a BANG, just a click that's for sure!

The gentleman in the picture below is the man that does the work on my rifles and does the shooting with it to etch the turret, he shot the beautiful Grizz below a few years back. He told me that Grizz was coming for him when he killed it. Last thing you need in a case like that is a misfire hey?

In any case, what I do works for me, I am sure there are better ways of doing things! As mentioned I am not an expert by any means, but I fill my freezer every year I hunt and that is why I hunt.

Have a great day my friend ~

KB

KB

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
There’s no fuggen hope.

Take care, Willie

Cry to the heavens and let slip the dogs of war. For they must feed on the bones of tyranny. In order for men to have freedom and liberty.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For general hunting a zero at 200 yards is fine, but I don't do that. I zero 2" high at 100 yards. But then I don't dial or shoot past 400 yards. Holding the crosshair on the back of a deer @ 400 yards will put my calibers (and most) in the kill zone. Out to about 300+ you can hold dead on.

Varmint hunting is different, and I'm looking into getting a scope that dials.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Have a great day ~

KB

KB:

Seems to fit your use profile. Glad you're happy with it. My questions were aimed at providing context for those who see this thread and would potentially expect the system and methodologies you and others use to be transferable to their situations, only to be let down because some key expectations they might have at the outset aren't addressed.

Certainly BDC reticles and turrets are serviceable for the hunter who hunts in the same area/elevation year over year and only uses a supply of ammo that is exactly the same in every way. My point is that is not a lot of hunters; I know a few guys who've taken their custom turret equiped rigs to different places and were let down at the most inopportune time because they were lulled into a false sense of long range confidence/capability by purveyors and marketers of custom turrets.
You’re wasting your breath. That requires understanding. Understanding requires research and experience. He just wants the easy button.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Hey KB

He does. And he’s proven that in multiple statements.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
What is this copycat nonsense?

KillerBee comes on here and now that he has posted 15 times a day to become someone of note. Well you have but since the mention in the Beaver awards, You think you are now Dwayne with your feeble attempt for genuine consideration of campfire members. The nice salutation is nothing but insincere copycat and you need to not tarnish the reputation of BC30cal (Dwayne).

Time to have your own ID and leave Dwayne's intact.

Originally Posted by Beaver10
And We’re Back…

Up next is an award for * The Fire’s Best New Member * As we all know, so many new members tryout but fail to make the CampFire team. This years Beaver Award winner has shockingly come out that country up North known as Canada. Amazing!

And the winner is KillerBee. Congratulations 🍾
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

It’s time for another break. Beav needs to make another beverage. 🦫

Hey KB

Hello there rcamuglia, I trust your new year is going great and you are ready for another year of good health and fun!

Have a great day ~

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Hey KB

Not sure exactly how many rounds they put through it, but I can tell you that when I got it back the paint was worn off the bottom of the stock butt. Not only did they shoot it a lot, they also shot 5 different brand name rounds through it to determine which bullet the new barrel like the best Nosler was the most accurate.

Corlane Sporting Goods Ltd in Dawson Creek in BC do my work for me and they are excellent! Not only do they sell Huskemaw they also build custom LR rifles from scratch for hunters throughout Canada.

I shoot at the beginning of each year to make sure the rifle scope is on and it have not been knocked around, no issues so far, and never had a single misfire due to a bad primer.

In my youth I personally handloaded thousands of rounds. I had lots of misfires back in them days with primers that we purchased in bulk. Never had that issue with of the shelf yet, but you could be right and it may happen. If it does I will have to buy more ammo right? I would hate to take a shot on and elk and not hear a BANG, just a click that's for sure!

The gentleman in the picture below is the man that does the work on my rifles and does the shooting with it to etch the turret, he shot the beautiful Grizz below a few years back. He told me that Grizz was coming for him when he killed it. Last thing you need in a case like that is a misfire hey?

In any case, what I do works for me, I am sure there are better ways of doing things! As mentioned I am not an expert by any means, but I fill my freezer every year I hunt and that is why I hunt.

KB

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
As a habit, I've set mine at 200 back before turret days. I've kept with that so i don't have to wonder where my zero is. The zero stop complicates things for close shots. Just know your rifles.
22 RF get set at 50
17HMR 100.
Air rifle 30
Shotgun 40

My few exceptions

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Hi HitnRun, I trust your afternoon is going swell.

Personally I see no issues with being polite, in my business I use the similar salutations with clients and suppliers and have for years.

Everyone has their own way of approaching their shooting and hunting endeavours to include how to buy a rifle how to set it up, how to shoot it etc.

With that understanding I believe that everyone is entitled to take the approach that works best for them. I chose my route with the Huskemaw because it best suited my needs. I am not interested in shooting hundreds of rounds, nor am I interested in developing custom rounds or paying for the associated costs involved. Nosler ABLRs cost a lot of $$$, not only that but you can not even buy them in Canada now, so I am happy I bought a bunch when I did.

As an example I can consistently hit a 2" diameter with my bow @ 80 yards, do I go every day to prove I can? NO. I only shoot my bow preseason until I am satisfied that I am not rusty,. I know people that go every week and enjoy shooting their bow, although I appreciate their enthusiasm, it does not turn my crank if you know what I mean? Don't get me wrong, I understand the thrill of shooting and have personally shot many thousands of rounds and enjoyed it immensely when I did.

With my .300 and Huskemaw I can hit an 8" plate @ 500 yards in nice groups repetitively, so I don't need to do it over and over again to prove I can. In fact I have nothing to prove.

In any case I have for the last time learned my lesson. I am never going to post on anything scope wise it seems to always turn into a chit show.

Have a great day man ~

KB

KB

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
With that understanding I believe that everyone is entitled to take the approach that works best for them. I chose my route with the Huskemaw because it best suited my needs. I am not interested in shooting hundreds of rounds, nor am I interested in developing custom rounds or paying for the associated costs involved.

KB

Then you have zero business shooting at an animal beyond 300 yards. Period.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SDHNTR
With that understanding I believe that everyone is entitled to take the approach that works best for them. I chose my route with the Huskemaw because it best suited my needs. I am not interested in shooting hundreds of rounds, nor am I interested in developing custom rounds or paying for the associated costs involved.

KB

Then you have zero business shooting at an animal beyond 300 yards. Period.

OK, I will definitely give up hunting and sell my rifles and bow immediately! Hell I may as well stop fishing as well since I can't cast!

Opps I forgot my shotguns gotta sell them too, because I would not want to wing a teal!

You are so wise to set me on the right path SDHNTR, thank you so very much!!!

Have a great day, DaddyO! Lmao

KB

KB

Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (1936M71, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 160user, 1234, 1Longbow, 59 invisible), 2,186 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,928
Posts18,479,870
Members73,953
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.