Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I use a Ruger target .22 rifle with a suppressor, shooting sub sonic ammo. My scope has a 40 moa reticle (swfa 10x, side focus). 40 moa gets me out to 260 yards. 50 yard zero requires 7 moa holdover at 100 yards. Each yard is critical, so a quality range finder is a must.

This combo is super accurate, and with the sub sonic ammo, it doesn't lose accuracy, downrange. 1st round hits at 250 yards, on a soda can, is every time.....when I do my part.

Andy3

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
22LR steals the show,but very few folks have seen a GOOD one. Hint.

Pass the Vudoo and hold The Fluff. Hint..........

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
If time is a premium and you would rather spend it at the range, I would consider this:

Don't buy a different new rifle shooting a different caliber than your 6.5 PRC that you intend to actually use. Use that money to buy more of your chosen ammo for that 6.5 and go and practice with that. Shoot it at various distances and wind conditions from actual field positions, not just from the bench.

A different rifle will handle differently, trigger will break differently, trajectory and wind bucking will be different, all not conducive to having limited time on the range. Save your brass, you may reload one day.

Good luck with your decision and practice.

Regards,
Manny

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Why even practice? Just tell everyone you have shot everything and are the self proclaimed master of all. Then shoot a few fish in trickle creek and throw your gun in the water by them for pics. Rotate pics every 5-25 years, and you should be able to BS 1 or 2 people at least.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
KenBitchagain,

It is funnier than fhuqk,that you are enthralled with your Couchbound Kchunt CLUELESSNESS,exceedingly WELL founded Insecurities and just "happen" to be a Lying Piece Of Fhuqking Schit to boot...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Fortunately for you and your ilk,Imagination and Pretend are free,so even YOU can "afford" to "contribute". Pardon wares that simply exist and this makes it a very BIG Day for you,because now you can say you've "seen" a Vudoo! Hint.

Keep filling out those Hurt Feeler reports and "lauding" your Professional Victim Status. Hint.

Bless your poor poor(literally) heart.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Oooooopsie! Some Mail just arrived. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BRSnow
Hi, what would be the best for cost efficiencies for practice if you didn’t plan on reloading for it? I certainly realize reloading would be best, but time is a premium and I rather spend it at the range. Appreciate it.

If you want to skip reloading and spend more time shooting the .22 LR is the best answer.

Lot's of other have said the same in this thread.

Set it up close to your 6.5 PCR and learn to range and read wind with the cheapest factory ammo.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'll be looking for an AAR on that EP5. My SH4 G2 shipped today. Waiting to see what/what before I order the 2nd scope I needed. One for the 22-250, one for the 22lr. (which will likely end up on a Vuduu before end of 2023)

Me

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dang...it weren't a Reupold after all. Hint.(grin)

Am gonna lengthen the freebore(to 3.585" 180 ELD Smooch) and open neck(to .3150") of newest Custom 7mm RemMag and lengthen LOP 3/4". That'll give me some ADG clearance and it should shine bright. We'll see how this glass,do there. Hint.

KenBitchagain will be GLUED to her Couchbound Kchunt,in eager fhuqking anticipation. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...............

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Red Ryder BB gun

Even birds know not to land downwind!
IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by KenMi
Why even practice? Just tell everyone you have shot everything and are the self proclaimed master of all. Then shoot a few fish in trickle creek and throw your gun in the water by them for pics. Rotate pics every 5-25 years, and you should be able to BS 1 or 2 people at least.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]Kansas whitetail 2014 by Sharps Man, on [bleep]

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]Untitled by Sharps Man, on [bleep]

Last edited by Sharpsman; 01/13/23.

Even birds know not to land downwind!
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Great bucks, congratulations

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
If you cast your own you'll have an unlimited supply, and it doesn't matter what yer feedin...someone has to say it.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dre
For cheap range time and learn to dial and read wind 223 with heavies.
6.5cm or 308 to go further on the cheap.
To hunt with out to a 1000? 7 or 300 PRC. Obviously 300 win or 7 rem would be cheaper. I don’t know but Budget and long range just don’t mesh well

Great post Dre, but I think he wants to practice at 1,000 yards hoping to become proficient at 6-700 yards. The guy must be loaded, or half cocked though.. The only way you get good is by shooting a lot. Even guys with natural ability need to practice, and practicing that much with factory ammo just doesn't make sense.. To each their own I guess..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by JPro
Originally Posted by NVhntr
77 or 80 grain bullets in a fast twist .223 will get you to 600 yards. Nothing but a .22 LR would be less expensive for practice.

+1.

This super-cheap PSA AR is one of my more fun rifles (18" SS 223Wylde 1-8" barrel). It was a bit breezy Saturday morning so I did some 400yd shooting with 77's to see what kind of drift I'd get, and to check dope on a newly swapped scope. I only learn so much when I just shoot on the calm/still days. As much as I like bolt guns, I would have never thought I'd be grabbing an AR first thing to go do chores or stop by the range.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Very nice Jpro. I feel the same way about the 223 rem and AR's.. A lot of great advice here. I will generally take one of my AR's out when I go to the range as well. I shoot a lot at 400 yards and run a lot of 69gr sierra's. I'd step up to a 77, or not, if practicing out to 600-1000 yards. At 400 the 69 is pretty impressive. Great for practicing in the wind:

I'll shoot 3 shots to check POI when it is windy. I was holding 2 moa off on the last target and the wind still caught those bullets.. One thing that needs to be said. It's not always about the bullet. Here's a fast twist Tikka 22-250 I was shooting a couple weeks ago. Using 77 SMK's:

The group size is horrendous, but my hold over to the left was spot on for the wind call. Now, here's another Tikka 22-250 with a 1 in 14" twist barrel. The rifle is a little heavier, since it is the varmint model. It shoots 53gr v-max like nobody's business:

That rifle and bullet will continually outshoot my CTR's chambered in 6.5 creedmoor.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Dre
For cheap range time and learn to dial and read wind 223 with heavies.
6.5cm or 308 to go further on the cheap.
To hunt with out to a 1000? 7 or 300 PRC. Obviously 300 win or 7 rem would be cheaper. I don’t know but Budget and long range just don’t mesh well

Great post Dre, but I think he wants to practice at 1,000 yards hoping to become proficient at 6-700 yards. The guy must be loaded, or half cocked though.. The only way you get good is by shooting a lot. Even guys with natural ability need to practice, and practicing that much with factory ammo just doesn't make sense.. To each their own I guess..

Thanks. I try! Lol.
Yeah I misunderstood the 1000 yarder. I was assuming since it is long range hunting.
This is also before I knew he has a 6.5 PRC

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by BRSnow
Hi, what would be the best for cost efficiencies for practice if you didn’t plan on reloading for it? I certainly realize reloading would be best, but time is a premium and I rather spend it at the range. Appreciate it.

I'll brace for the howls, but someone that doesn't reload doesn't have any business shooting at game at 600 yds. The chances of finding a rifle/factory ammo that shoot well enough to do it are small, and shooting the amount of factory ammo needed to become proficient is cost prohibitive unless you're a hedge fund manager.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Crow hunter,
I will disagree with you on that you can't find factory ammo for killing at 600 yards.
The cost issue...That depends upon your financials.
I have seen Hornady TAP and Hornady Match (ELD-X's too for that matter) do real well at those distances on multiple guns with multiple barrel lengths

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by mannyspd1
If time is a premium and you would rather spend it at the range, I would consider this:

Don't buy a different new rifle shooting a different caliber than your 6.5 PRC that you intend to actually use. Use that money to buy more of your chosen ammo for that 6.5 and go and practice with that. Shoot it at various distances and wind conditions from actual field positions, not just from the bench.

A different rifle will handle differently, trigger will break differently, trajectory and wind bucking will be different, all not conducive to having limited time on the range. Save your brass, you may reload one day.

Good luck with your decision and practice.

Regards,
Manny

Manny is very much SPOT ON here.

For years due to my occupation, I used a .308/7.62 and shot M118LR pretty much exclusively. I used it at work and I used it in competition as well as in the mountains and desert while hunting. For those not familiar, the M118 LR uses a Sierra 175 grain Matchking. Were there better projectiles? Sure. But when you shoot thousands of them from prone, from rooftops, from bipods/tripods, at work, then take them to the field hunting, you are extremely familiar with the drops, with wind calls, how they will do in mountain thermals, updrafts and downdrafts, etc.

You simply cannot replicate that familiarity shooting 3 different cartridges. I shot a bunch of various live targets with them, including deer, elk, and other things. Everything fell over dead.

Now that I retired from all that, I shoot 155 Scenars almost exclusively for .308s for the same reason.

I personally would shoot what you have exclusively and keep an old school data book of the conditions you shoot it in to record your notes.

By all means take advantage of the modern ballistic programs. They are excellent. But each time you shoot record the information on wind calls, come ups, etc. That way you have notes you can refer to.

This is an old note from shooting movers at 800, with an M24 and fixed 10. Not what I used these days but still useful for referring to.

Keeping good notes can also tell you when you may have an equipment or an ammo issue, such as when your gun was fine at 800, but you dial windage and elevation for 500 on a KD range and all of the sudden it can barely keep them on paper. Same lot of ammo too.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Nobody else said it but I will, what is the point pairing a 6.5 PRC WITH A SHORT BARREL?.. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

245 members (10ring1, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 22kHornet, 160user, 10Glocks, 26 invisible), 1,665 guests, and 1,080 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,759
Posts18,476,450
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.