Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 32 1 2 3 4 5 31 32
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BubbaG
Christianity is becoming more and more associated with politics and allot of people don't like it.

I would say that the same apathy quite a few churches show towards politics is creating the apathy their members have towards the church and ultimately walking away.

You have pastor/priests/reverends scared to stand up and say "Abortion is wrong and you can not vote pro-choice and be in line with Christ's teaching" because they get scared of losing at the donation box. It's worried about inclusiveness rather than Truth. YES you absolutely accept all sinners but you do not accept their sin with them when they come into the church.

Me

GB1

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Christianity is becoming more and more associated with politics and allot of people don't like it.

If Christians do not get involved in politics, do you think we even have any chance of making a difference, or are we just supposed to sit back, suck our thumbs and cry a lot?

This nation was founded on Judeo-Christian beliefs and it is those same beliefs that have been neglected and diminished, leading us to where we are now. We need to get involved at even the lowest levels of politics and start making changes.

Again...do NOT mistake religion with relationships with God! A Theocracy, which is government based on religion, is just another form of tyranny. It is the principles of Christianity that we must uphold.

Ed

The Judeos and the Christians had a fairly serious schism here while back. Maybe you heard about it.

You can't stack their beliefs in the same basket.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Communisto-Republic.

See?,...that term doesn't make any sense either.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Teal

YES you absolutely accept all sinners but you do not accept their sin

Decades of voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us just that.....
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Jesus' Spirit is alive and well at the non-denominational church we attend in mid-MO. Our church is located in a college town and our attendance is a great mix of all ages with those under 35 probably representing a disproportionately large percentage of our regular attendees. Three services each Sunday with probably 1000-1200 total attending each week.

We have a contemporary, respectful, reverent and worshipful praise and worship service, followed by an expositional sermon by one of three solid, Bible believing pastors. We hear the word "sin" quite regularly - no ear scratching here. Our mission as a church is to intentionally introduce others to Christ. We have had over 20 baptisms this year alone. God is at work, in our church and in our state. It is gratifying to attend such a growing, vibrant church.

May God bless you all,

bludog

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
IC B2

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
In Western culture, at least, kids learn to read by the third grade. Said kid can pick up any encyclopedea ( in our day), or keyboard and google up the physical laws of the Universe, and Natural History of the Earth.

People today do not need to believe the sun is Apollo racing through the sky on his chariot, or that Zeus expresses his anger through thunder.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bristoe
If Christians do not get involved in politics, do you think we even have any chance of making a difference, or are we just supposed to sit back, suck our thumbs and cry a lot?
This nation was founded on Judeo-Christian beliefs and it is those same beliefs that have been neglected and diminished, leading us to where we are now. We need to get involved at even the lowest levels of politics and start making changes.
Again...do NOT mistake religion with relationships with God! A Theocracy, which is government based on religion, is just another form of tyranny. It is the principles of Christianity that we must uphold.
Ed
The Judeos and the Christians had a fairly serious schism here while back. Maybe you heard about it. You can't stack their beliefs in the same basket.
Good observation. The shared "principles" of the founding are one thing. Politics is something else, and since being a a kid there has been increased use of that "Judeo-Christian" term for social and political expediency.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
In Western culture, at least, kids learn to read by the third grade. Said kid can pick up any encyclopedea ( in our day), or keyboard and google up the physical laws of the Universe, and Natural History of the Earth.

People today do not need to believe the sun is Apollo racing through the sky on his chariot, or that Zeus expresses his anger through thunder.

Yeah, and all those physical laws, just happened by some freak great lucky chance! Tell me which takes the greater faith!

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
ED, was writing as you posted your first one, so did not see yours until later. Some similarities. Thx.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B

Maybe not. But if they look around at what's going on in the country they *should* be able to believe in the presence of evil,...and if they have the ability to think just a bit past that, they're eventually going to figure out its origin.

That's when Romans 1, starting at verse 18 comes in handy. It explains in great detail what happens when a society turns its back on God and God gives them over to a reprobate mind.

Two millennia ago the Apostle Paul accurately described today's America.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JeffP
Christianity worldwide is growing.
https://www1.cbn.com/cbnnews/cwn/20...heists-charismatic-churches-lead-the-way

That it is declining in meriKa can be attributed to
1: like all “great” nations, we turned our back on GOD and are just the next Babylon

2: people realized that organized religion is NOT the church. The church is within us.

3: most love the dark. We love sin.

To those that want GOD out of the nation, you’re going to get what you want, we’ll see if you want what you get.
It's a closely held secret that Christianity in strict Muslim countries is booming. In many of these countries, being a Christian is a death sentence if caught. Missionaries are risking death to get the word to them, especially the women, who are the most eager for the truth. The daughter of some people in our church spent several years inside one of these countries. She's been home for quite a few years now but still can't tell where she was. If word gets out of where she was, people are going to die. She said that people are hungry for the word and it's spreading like in the days of Rome.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I was a confirmed catholic & was told that I had to attend mass & the Sunday school lesson that followed as long as I was living at home. Never got anything out of it except boredom. Quit going as soon as I graduated HS & got my own place. Only go there for a funeral mass now. Oh, the priest raped my younger brother and my cousin when they were alter boys too, if that helps in my decision to quit going. His name is father Flanagan.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Most people regard sexual sin as just another sin, the same as the rest. I disagree. Check out this passage:

1 Cor 6:18 Flee from sexual immorality. Every other sin a person commits is outside the body, but the sexually immoral person sins against his own body.
19 Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own,
20 for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body.

That word BUT is big. It separates sexual sin from all the rest. It specifies that it's sin against the Holy Spirit. The only unforgivable sin (this isn't it) is against him. You don't mess with the Holy Spirit.

― George Orwell

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
The Judeos and the Christians had a fairly serious schism here while back. Maybe you heard about it.

I understand what you are saying. I think I heard something about it. grin

The truth of the matter is that Jesus of Nazareth was a Jew. More specifically, a Rabbi, a Jewish Theologian. He never stopped being a Jew. He came to show us the true nature of God.
It was man and his failures which led the Jews down the wrong path.

The beliefs in God's love, mercy and grace are the same. The Jews, since Moses, have lived under The Law.
Christ came to fulfill that Law and remove all of us from under the curse of it. You can't forget the underlying principals of Judaism (not talking about the law!) nor how it was the basis for that thing we call "Christianity". That's why I refer to it as "Judeo-Christian".

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by antlers
Why do you men think people are leaving it nowadays…?

I doesn't matter what men think about God's church. The church is alive an well. What we see and what God sees are two different things. We only see right now. He sees the whole story

Jesus said in Mathew 16:18 "And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it."

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I

Maybe not. But if they look around at what's going on in the country they *should* be able to believe in the presence of evil,...and if they have the ability to think just a bit past that, they're eventually going to figure out its origin.

That's when Romans 1, starting at verse 18 comes in handy. It explains in great detail what happens when a society turns its back on God and God gives them over to a reprobate mind.

Two millennia ago the Apostle Paul accurately described today's America.
Evil lurks in the heart of every man. Education is the key to man overcoming that evil. Religion is ONE form of education which can do so.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
The truth of the matter is that Jesus of Nazareth was a Jew.

What about those who first followed the Messiah that God sent?. Were they Jews? Did they stop considering themselves Jews when they chose to follow the Messiah?

So,...if, as Christians are following the Messiah that God sent to show Jews the proper path to follow,...what can Christianity be other than the proper path of Judaism?

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Paul, I'll believe was used by Jesus to take the Gospel to the Gentiles.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Evil lurks in the heart of every man. Education is the key to man overcoming that evil. Religion is ONE form of education which can do so.

A human can't educate himself enough to not be human. Religion can educate a man on what his human failings are and it can encourage him to minimize them to the extent possible.

But no form education can fix the human condition.

It's a heady subject that takes a bit of pondering. It makes sense to an extent once one realizes that his human brain isn't producing his consciousness.

Very many people have inadvertently discovered that their consciousness exists independently of their brain.

They never think about things the same afterwards.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I understand what you are saying. I think I heard something about it. grin

The truth of the matter is that Jesus of Nazareth was a Jew. More specifically, a Rabbi, a Jewish Theologian. He never stopped being a Jew. He came to show us the true nature of God.
It was man and his failures which led the Jews down the wrong path.

The beliefs in God's love, mercy and grace are the same. The Jews, since Moses, have lived under The Law.
Christ came to fulfill that Law and remove all of us from under the curse of it. You can't forget the underlying principals of Judaism (not talking about the law!) nor how it was the basis for that thing we call "Christianity". That's why I refer to it as "Judeo-Christian".

Ed
From Psalms and the early prophets, it was written that the coming messiah would be the rejected stone who would become the cornerstone of God's church. Jesus came exactly for that purpose and he appointed 12 apostles to spread his word among the Jews. He fulfilled the law by becoming the sacrifice to end all sacrifices. All of those 100's of pages of laws and rituals were fulfilled at the cross, never to be needed again.
However, as prophesied, the Jews rejected it. Jesus then picked a 13th apostle, Paul, and sent him to the gentiles. Paul was an apostle but different from the others. His entire mission was different. The gentiles had never been under the law before Paul and he made it clear that they still weren't. He worked hard to prevent the gentiles from being dragged back under the Jewish laws that had failed so badly. For the most part, that's us. Paul wrote much of the NT to the gentiles, us, telling us how to live for the Lord, separate from the man made rules of the Jews. Also, with Peter's vision, we were freed from the dietary laws of the Jews.
The apostles and church elders met at Jerusalem to decide how to deal with the new gentile converts. It was decided, with the word from the Holy Spirit, that gentiles were to avoid food sacrificed to idols, blood, meat that had been strangled, and sexual immorality. Outside of those rules, the gentile converts were given a free rein. Today, we are far freer from rules than the Jews had ever been.

― George Orwell

Page 3 of 32 1 2 3 4 5 31 32

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (10gaugeman, 257Bob, 12344mag, 257 roberts, 10ring1, 1_deuce, 69 invisible), 4,083 guests, and 1,068 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,588
Posts18,532,327
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.