Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Rick99
Kansas was the same. 1st deer season was 1965. Turkeys introduced around the sate in the 60's and doing well.

Turkey is shotgun, only. Extra full choke (Turkey choke), head shots.

When I still lived and hunted in KS, I never saw a turkey. Now when I go back to visit I see large flocks of them.

GB1

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Turkeys were booming here in the 2000s into early 2010s, but they seem to have really thinned out since. I haven't seen a big gaggle of them together in several years. Now when I see them it's maybe half a dozen, not 20-30.

Deer are way down locally (not statewide). The # of filled tags for my county per season has dropped by almost 60% since 2012, which was the peak year. There weren't that many trees around here to begin with, and a ton of them have been lost to McMansion developments and farm tract consolidation over the past 15 years. Most of the treelines that used to mark field borders are gone. The deer are pretty much all bunched up in the tree belts along creeks and rivers now and don't roam nearly as much as they used to.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
In WV I only see turkey when they are on the other side of the window!
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In the 1930's I have seen estimates that there were less than 500,000 whitetail deer in the United States. Today I've seen the number 30 million.

In the 30's 1/2 of those deer in the US lived inside the Adirondack Wilderness Area in NY state. My grandfather and his brothers made their living logging and guiding for the wealthy land owning logging barrens and families of the times. They guided not only very wealthy Americans but people from all over Europe who came to hunt deer. Mostly aristocrats and people from the royal families of all of Europe. He told me once that the guides shot most of the deer for the American hunters as they were drunk most of the time and only got out of camp to get their pictures taken in their fancy duds and new rifles with the deer the guides had shot.

The Europeans on the other hand he described as mostly dead series hunters and excellent marksmen. Especially the Austrians, Germans and Poles. He said most of them carried "fancy 3 barreled guns", some with 2 rifle barrels and a shotgun barrel and some with 2 shotgun barrels and a rifle barrel, what we would describe today as drillings.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Thats a heck of a price for that Savage. Cheapest Ive seen in a while

IC B2

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Fireball, I like the way you think !

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by hihobruce77
Fireball, I like the way you think !

Thanks hiho. I guess if we threw a party there'd be two of us. Or maybe we could draw a crowd if we did it in a cemetery. LOL

LOL
N
Nessmuk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
N
If I had a million dollars...
I'd buy a nice Reliant automobile!

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wyo1895
Don't you shoot them in the head with a rifle?
Nope. I never did. Aim for where the wing meets the body. Now PA has taken the rifles out of our hands though

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 99guy
In the 1930's I have seen estimates that there were less than 500,000 whitetail deer in the United States. Today I've seen the number 30 million.

In the 30's 1/2 of those deer in the US lived inside the Adirondack Wilderness Area in NY state. My grandfather and his brothers made their living logging and guiding for the wealthy land owning logging barrens and families of the times. They guided not only very wealthy Americans but people from all over Europe who came to hunt deer. Mostly aristocrats and people from the royal families of all of Europe. He told me once that the guides shot most of the deer for the American hunters as they were drunk most of the time and only got out of camp to get their pictures taken in their fancy duds and new rifles with the deer the guides had shot.

The Europeans on the other hand he described as mostly dead series hunters and excellent marksmen. Especially the Austrians, Germans and Poles. He said most of them carried "fancy 3 barreled guns", some with 2 rifle barrels and a shotgun barrel and some with 2 shotgun barrels and a rifle barrel, what we would describe today as drillings.
Interesting!

IC B3

N
Nessmuk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
N
I had a handi rifle 8n 204 that head shot a Jake at about 75 yards.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Very nice looking rifle.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by moosemike
Nope. I never did. Aim for where the wing meets the body. Now PA has taken the rifles out of our hands though

I didn't know that. When did that happen?

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Rifle -- wing butt
shotgun--head

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

Gary,
PA banned all single projectile firearms for turkey hunting in 2021 because of declining turkey populations.

I used Speer 55 GR. Full Metal Jackets in a Vixen 222 Rem. and also shot for the wing joint. Humane kills w/o a lot of meat damage.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The only turkey I shot was from a tree stand in Georgia. I was deer hunting with a 30-06 and wasn't about to shoot it in the body so I shot it in the head. Probably 40 feet away.
My Father and his family lived in Georgia until about 1928. There were no deer. The land was all plantations. No good cover for deer. The depression came along and the plantations went broke and were bought up by lumber companies who planted trees. I think some deer were brought in from Michigan or somewhere and thrived. When I was spending the Winter there from 2005 to 2015 the hunting limit for deer was 2 bucks and 10 does. We saw a lot of dead deer along the highways. A lot of people considered them a nuisance.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

N
Nessmuk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
N
The reason I moved to Virginia.
More liberal in what they allow,
Less liberal in their politics.
Moved from upstate NY. Night and day.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Nessmuk
The reason I moved to Virginia.
More liberal in what they allow,
Less liberal in their politics.
Moved from upstate NY. Night and day.

Same. I was born and raised in Oswego county, but my old family is from Lewis County.

Could not get out of NY state fast enough. Spent 30 years in Pa before I got to Va. Wild horses would not drag me back to NY state. The weather sucks, the politics suck and the taxes suck.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Poconojack
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

Gary,
PA banned all single projectile firearms for turkey hunting in 2021 because of declining turkey populations.

I used Speer 55 GR. Full Metal Jackets in a Vixen 222 Rem. and also shot for the wing joint. Humane kills w/o a lot of meat damage.

Thanks, Ted. I guess I won't take a .22 Hornet along to PA this fall for hunting. Oh wait, I still can as they allow its use for deer. Or did that change too? (Kidding, sort of. A .218 Bee is a much better deer cartridge. grin )

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
N
Nessmuk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
N
Same. I was born and raised in Oswego county, but my old family is from Lewis County.

Could not get out of NY state fast enough. Spent 30 years in Pa before I got to Va. Wild horses would not drag me back to NY state. The weather sucks, the politics suck and the taxes suck.

I lived in West Leyden. Had 150 acres. 6 months under snow. 1 month of mud. 4 months of biting bugs. I month to hunt.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

61 members (BlackHunter, Boarmaster123, blackhawk44, aaronward9, 10gaugemag, big_g270, 6 invisible), 1,549 guests, and 843 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,557
Posts18,510,439
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.