Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 23 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 22 23
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I just went back and re-read Sam's OP and by God he's serious so I'll play.

I got my first job out of school in 1982 for $15k/yr. Had a 4 year degree in geology and tried to get into oil & gas but that was during a downturn and no one was hiring then. So I got out the yellow pages and looked up "environmental consultants." Snagged a job with a consultant, that was just when Superfund had started and the job was taking soil and groundwater samples on hazardous waste sites. Not a lot of money, but it allowed me to buy my first new vehicle, a Toyota short bed pickup for $4,995. And see a lot of the country that I hadn't seen yet including AK.

Worked various jobs in that industry and got into managing local operations and then regional operations. Worked for engineering and construction companies that did hazardous waste site cleanup, water/wastewater and transportation design, and construction. During the best years "my" business unit had 300 people, and grossed $100M a year at around 8% profit and we had some really interesting projects over the years. Did a site investigation and determined the best way to clean up a nuclear missile accident site in New Jersey contaminated with plutonium, had a $70M project to rebuild an army base for the Iraqi army in 2004 (I went over for that one, it was like the wild west) had a $25M design project for the big toll road project for I-35 near Austin, and did a $50M re-paving job for the runway on Adak Island in the Aleutians.

I was lucky to work with some really good people because any one of those projects could have gone upside down and cost me my job, but they didn't. I don't have that job any more, for the last 10 years I've worked for a small company that does the same kind of work, just on a smaller scale, with a whole lot less wear and tear and the pay is commensurate During the best years I was in the middle 6 figures.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I make just enough in retirement to keep me from resorting to cat food and crackers.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
I sold a business in 2021. Y'all would weep at the taxes I paid for that transaction.

I feel your pain.....done that 4 times now.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by JGray
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by JGray
Low - 6 figures before 99.99% retirement last October. Transportation engineer - private sector/consulting. My company gave me a $10/hr increase to be available on-call a couple hours a week over the next year which is essentially paying our medical insurance.

Word on the street is I could have doubled my income by leaving Montana to live in some chithole big City. Likely a good career move but huge quality of life trade-off. I'd rather flip burgers here than be miserable chasing $ in my field.

Yeah....but Helena??

Lol - good point! I'm no longer tied to Helena job-wise but with kids and grandkids here, it'd be hard to move too far away (we have discussed the idea). I'm sitting in a motel in Shelby at the moment and will be ice fishing on Tiber tomorrow. I spent most of hunting season around Choteau. This part of the state could start to grow on me, but it's too fuggin windy!

Helena is a great spot.

You are so centrally located.....lots of great outdoors opportunities in every direction! And not far away either.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I enjoy listening to Dave Ramsey and he did a survey of something like 10,000 millionaires. His data indicates the vast majority are couples that both work and make professional wages, they invest in their home and 401k's in the stock market for 30 years or so. They seem to average between $1 & $3 million in assets.

While high wages are cool and something to be proud of the real story is how much you save and invest, then you have returns on those investments.

If you do the math, saving a few million while working and paying your living expense's is almost impossible to do.

I admit to being very naïve about wages as I was always a blue collar guy working in a state a with notoriously low wages and I have been out of the work force for about 15 yrs.
Back in my employee days the best I made was $51,000 and I thought I was killing it and almost everyone I knew made less than me.

Todays wages in high cost states always amaze me... but then maybe there is a bunch of exaggeration? then again $1 million dollar homes seem to be the norm these days so who knows?

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Made way more $$$ in business than I ever made in the stock market.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My wife does pretty good.

Me? Not so much.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I made $70,000 applying thermal coatings for Aviation engine manufacturing

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most. - Mark Twain.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks for all the interesting replies.

No bitching or bragging, well done for a somewhat taboo question.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by weaselsRus
Kinda like asking how many acres and cows you have, right Sam?

I grossed $60K last year, used to make a bunch more but I get a pension, 4 weeks vacation, 11 holidays, 3 weeks sick leave and can I walk to work.

I was that guy. My dumb azz, in my curiosity of how big a cattle operation might be, how they work, etc….didn’t equate the question to being gauche. Sammy was gentle with me.

I’ve done a ton of different jobs. Made a bunch at times, barely minimum wage at others. Still planning on the motherload to hit!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As far as my girlfriend knows, I'm broke. So please let's keep it that way...

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
haha

I personally own 60 cows and lease all my pasture.

Small time, no big ranch!

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
For the first time in my life, I HAVE to hide money (legally, of course) from the IRS to avoid it being taxed at 22%.

Retirement in five weeks, retirement pension plus SS will be more than I have ever made working, Without touching 401k. We will be able to dump $2k/mo into savings. Until Bidenflation catches up to us.

We are feeling very comfortable.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by ihookem
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by add
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Good afternoon Sam, as everybody knows, I'm a semi-retired farmer. I never know how much I/we are going to make.
Sure you do.

Ever do YOY averages?

I wouldn’t be surprised if Wabi turned out to be another RoundOak. But, I think a few members have met him in the flesh.

That’s something RoundOak couldn’t do.

🦫

There are many ROundoaks on this board. I am quite sure Wabbi is not one of them. Stop and think if Roundoak got away for 10,000 posts , and 10 yrs of bs before he was really caught , how many here are full of BS when they post their wages. I have so many times caught guys here posting picks of their wives , smoking hot ,, just to remember a pick of their wife 5 yrs ago , and the other woman was nothing like the smoking hot one. How many times have we all heard they dated smoking hot babes,, ,, but dumped them cause they were nuts??? Truth, you got dumped!! How many guys here go on the girly page and post " I would tap her in a heartbeat, " when that woman would snub them faster than they can slap a tick. LOTS of BS , not just here but on some other boards. How ROundoak got away with it, I am not sure. His bucks were plausible if he really did live in Grant co. Wis. Bucks are huge there. Had me fooled. Only one time did I think he was BSing, when he shot a REAL dandy in Dickinson co. Upper Mich. They just dont grow them that big in that sand country up there. As for me, I posted I make about $55,000 a yr. I'm self employed carpenter. I cant imagine making what many say they make here. I am likely avr. american wage. My wife makes less than me . Because of my low wages I am very frugal , cause my last day of work is one accident away. I drive 09 Impala I bought for $9700 with tax 14 months ago , 44,700 miles on it. The Truck is an 06 GMC diesel, 301,000 on it. Boat is 32 yrs old and bought it new for $2,400 for new boat , older 25 horse Merc. and trailer. I hunt just a few miles from home 95% of the time on public . I have a cabin up north on 7 ac. on the Flambeau River in NW WIs . My dad gave me 7 ac. in central wi. on a river too. We have had some inheritance that is invested. $450K? house is payed 13 yrs ago. Kids dont need me for anything. They make more than me too. It is amazing how I have to be frugal to get to $1,000,000 in a retirement account just to get $30,000 in divies and the retirement plan keeps me poor. In all honesty, I feel left out when all the relatives run off to Arizona, , California, Ireland , and wife went to Egypt to visit out daughter. I stay home . I do hunt deer a lot cause its 5 miles away. I fish close by too. Many may say I'm whining. I'm not, strangely enough, I am quite happy. I tithe 10% to my local church, pay bills and still save 30% of my gross. However, I am eyeing up a Starcraft Freedom180T / 90 horse Yammi for $30,000 after tax. ... I am sure , I could always sell it for what I payed for it so I consider it part of my portfolio, snicker.

Whining? I don't think so! You sound like a guy who's got life figured out. You must enjoy your work or you wouldn't still be doing it. You've got a successful family and get to experience the joy of giving. You've got a cabin and good outdoor activities just a few miles from home. I'd call that the American dream. Just make sure you're charging enough for your work. Many good craftsmen undervalue their skills. Oh yea, buy the boat. You can afford it and have more than earned it. Also, good call on the Impala. Give me a call if you get tired of it. Congratulations on your choices.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ihookem
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by add
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Good afternoon Sam, as everybody knows, I'm a semi-retired farmer. I never know how much I/we are going to make.
Sure you do.

Ever do YOY averages?

I wouldn’t be surprised if Wabi turned out to be another RoundOak. But, I think a few members have met him in the flesh.

That’s something RoundOak couldn’t do.

🦫

There are many ROundoaks on this board. I am quite sure Wabbi is not one of them. Stop and think if Roundoak got away for 10,000 posts , and 10 yrs of bs before he was really caught , how many here are full of BS when they post their wages. I have so many times caught guys here posting picks of their wives , smoking hot ,, just to remember a pick of their wife 5 yrs ago , and the other woman was nothing like the smoking hot one. How many times have we all heard they dated smoking hot babes,, ,, but dumped them cause they were nuts??? Truth, you got dumped!! How many guys here go on the girly page and post " I would tap her in a heartbeat, " when that woman would snub them faster than they can slap a tick. LOTS of BS , not just here but on some other boards. How ROundoak got away with it, I am not sure. His bucks were plausible if he really did live in Grant co. Wis. Bucks are huge there. Had me fooled. Only one time did I think he was BSing, when he shot a REAL dandy in Dickinson co. Upper Mich. They just dont grow them that big in that sand country up there. As for me, I posted I make about $55,000 a yr. I'm self employed carpenter. I cant imagine making what many say they make here. I am likely avr. american wage. My wife makes less than me . Because of my low wages I am very frugal , cause my last day of work is one accident away. I drive 09 Impala I bought for $9700 with tax 14 months ago , 44,700 miles on it. The Truck is an 06 GMC diesel, 301,000 on it. Boat is 32 yrs old and bought it new for $2,400 for new boat , older 25 horse Merc. and trailer. I hunt just a few miles from home 95% of the time on public . I have a cabin up north on 7 ac. on the Flambeau River in NW WIs . My dad gave me 7 ac. in central wi. on a river too. We have had some inheritance that is invested. $450K? house is payed 13 yrs ago. Kids dont need me for anything. They make more than me too. It is amazing how I have to be frugal to get to $1,000,000 in a retirement account just to get $30,000 in divies and the retirement plan keeps me poor. In all honesty, I feel left out when all the relatives run off to Arizona, , California, Ireland , and wife went to Egypt to visit out daughter. I stay home . I do hunt deer a lot cause its 5 miles away. I fish close by too. Many may say I'm whining. I'm not, strangely enough, I am quite happy. I tithe 10% to my local church, pay bills and still save 30% of my gross. However, I am eyeing up a Starcraft Freedom180T / 90 horse Yammi for $30,000 after tax. ... I am sure , I could always sell it for what I payed for it so I consider it part of my portfolio, snicker.

I’d hold off on buying that StarCraft. Give it 10 months, with the expected job lay-offs, you might be seeing all kinds of killer deals in men’s toys.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by irfubar
I enjoy listening to Dave Ramsey and he did a survey of something like 10,000 millionaires. His data indicates the vast majority are couples that both work and make professional wages, they invest in their home and 401k's in the stock market for 30 years or so. They seem to average between $1 & $3 million in assets.

While high wages are cool and something to be proud of the real story is how much you save and invest, then you have returns on those investments.

If you do the math, saving a few million while working and paying your living expense's is almost impossible to do.

I admit to being very naïve about wages as I was always a blue collar guy working in a state a with notoriously low wages and I have been out of the work force for about 15 yrs.
Back in my employee days the best I made was $51,000 and I thought I was killing it and almost everyone I knew made less than me.

Todays wages in high cost states always amaze me... but then maybe there is a bunch of exaggeration? then again $1 million dollar homes seem to be the norm these days so who knows?

Got a buddy just went through a divorce, he's in pharma sells and his wife was a traveling nurse. He said they put away on average 50k a year no problem. After 15 years of marriage that was that. He said after all attorney fees and all that nonsense they split 600k. She went through 300k in 4 months, he still has about 260k of it. Their kids are still in private school at 18k a year for each one. They did very well, and made it a point to put it away. Its about all gone now.

I would say a lot inherit it.

My uncle is worth about 5 mil, chemical engineer. Aunt never worked. He claims he saved 33% of every paycheck he ever made. Had millions in bank and still made my aunt hang clothes out to dry on a line in the backyard. She's gone now and never got to enjoy any of it. Each of their daughters are getting 1 mil when he passes and each of his 6 grandkids are getting 500k each. Not to mention, he has given all of them the max gift allowed each year since they were born. They'll be sitting pretty.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by killerv
Originally Posted by irfubar

Got a buddy just went through a divorce, he's in pharma sells and his wife was a traveling nurse. He said they put away on average 50k a year no problem. After 15 years of marriage that was that. He said after all attorney fees and all that nonsense they split 600k. She went through 300k in 4 months, he still has about 260k of it. Their kids are still in private school at 18k a year for each one. They did very well, and made it a point to put it away. Its about all gone now.

I would say a lot inherit it.

My uncle is worth about 5 mil, chemical engineer. Aunt never worked. He claims he saved 33% of every paycheck he ever made. Had millions in bank and still made my aunt hang clothes out to dry on a line in the backyard. She's gone now and never got to enjoy any of it. Each of their daughters are getting 1 mil when he passes and each of his 6 grandkids are getting 500k each. Not to mention, he has given all of them the max gift allowed each year since they were born. They'll be sitting pretty.

Interesting point about inheritance. Dave Ramsey claims very few in his survey obtained wealth through inheritance... he is probably correct, when you factor in estates getting divided up between several children , unlikely they will all be wealthy.... But getting a few hundred thousand dropped in your lap when you are middle aged and a little wiser sure gives a leg up, and helps channel more money into investments.

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Chutzpah
Kvetch

About all I can contribute to this thread lol.

MAGA
Dre Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
I sold a business in 2021. Y'all would weep at the taxes I paid for that transaction.

I feel your pain.....done that 4 times now.
Could be worse.
My old neighbor/friend who was a Canadian snowbird, told me how much he paid in taxes or how much his medical Or medicine cost due to how much he makes. I can’t remember the details but I remember I about sh*t.

Last edited by Dre; 01/24/23.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
It isn’t how much you make, it is how much you keep. I weep at the amount I pay to our gov. Work hard and make good money, work harder to keep it!

Page 10 of 23 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 22 23

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

436 members (17CalFan, 160user, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 39 invisible), 2,086 guests, and 1,121 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,377
Posts18,488,460
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.