Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Thank you!

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
If you want, you can make adjustable stands out of old modified sheet music stands.

Swifty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There's a half dozen of these here that get used a lot at my local range....picked them up used for about $8 ea. Since our target frames at 200 are higher than the 100 (you shoot over the top of the 100 yd. target frames), I extended the main tube on 3 of them. For the pivot pin, I used a 1/4-20 coupling nut and drilled out one side of the threads until it fit over the shaft and then JB Welded it on. For the pivot pin, it's just a long 1/4-20 bolt with a non threaded area on the shank. Cut the head off, polish it up and you're good to go. Some I've rounded off and some have been left flat. If the flag is balanced, it doesn't make much difference.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
There's a half dozen of these here that get used a lot at my local range....picked them up used for about $8 ea. Since our target frames at 200 are higher than the 100 (you shoot over the top of the 100 yd. target frames), I extended the main tube on 3 of them. For the pivot pin, I used a 1/4-20 coupling nut and drilled out one side of the threads until it fit over the shaft and then JB Welded it on. For the pivot pin, it's just a long 1/4-20 bolt with a non threaded area on the shank. Cut the head off, polish it up and you're good to go. Some I've rounded off and some have been left flat. If the flag is balanced, it doesn't make much difference.

Ran into that issue at a couple ranges especially when getting out to 300. So my fix, since the adjustable extensions on Keeney or most others come out of the main stand tube I took a 6–12 foot paint roller extension, cut the threads off square. Drilled that end a little undersize so I could make the final fit tight. Crude but

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

With Keeney inserted

Which then puts my large Keeney flags up to 13 feet. Very stable once anchored meaning they wouldn’t sway in the wind like some of the more popular and expensive poles going that high

Had the same for Grahams but they went bye bye.

Last edited by Swifty52; 01/23/23.

Swifty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by catnthehat
Last week a buddy and I were out at the range shooting some 800 and 1,000 targets.
I was shooting my prone rifle ( irons, and sling) in 6mmBR, and he was shooting a braked up 300 mag, a Ruger RPR with a bipod and a brake that looks like it belongs on a Sherman tank.
Wind was not too bad, about 2MOA but gusting, and we both posted some pretty good 10 shot scores.
Two days ago we went out again and on the 800 meter target he had to dial in a full 8 MOA of left windage to get onto the target.
Yesterday, we had close to 5MOA of straight head wind.
It is never the same and very rarely constant at our range.
You can see 2MOA at 200 meters on the flag, and at 500 , 2MOA, and be 2MOA in the opposite direction at 300 meters!
Learning how to decipher a wind call is a never ending story for me ! LOL
Cat

I know how you feel! We had a stiff 12mph fishtailing headwind last Thursday at my 1000 yard Palma practice. Hard to keep up some days...

[Linked Image]

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pretty salty shooting in those conditions! smile -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MikeS
Originally Posted by catnthehat
Last week a buddy and I were out at the range shooting some 800 and 1,000 targets.
I was shooting my prone rifle ( irons, and sling) in 6mmBR, and he was shooting a braked up 300 mag, a Ruger RPR with a bipod and a brake that looks like it belongs on a Sherman tank.
Wind was not too bad, about 2MOA but gusting, and we both posted some pretty good 10 shot scores.
Two days ago we went out again and on the 800 meter target he had to dial in a full 8 MOA of left windage to get onto the target.
Yesterday, we had close to 5MOA of straight head wind.
It is never the same and very rarely constant at our range.
You can see 2MOA at 200 meters on the flag, and at 500 , 2MOA, and be 2MOA in the opposite direction at 300 meters!
Learning how to decipher a wind call is a never ending story for me ! LOL
Cat

I know how you feel! We had a stiff 12mph fishtailing headwind last Thursday at my 1000 yard Palma practice. Hard to keep up some days...

[Linked Image]
Drives a guy batty at times!
Last summer a guy was watching me shoot at 1,000 with my 308.I was doing fairly well with it when he pipes up" You need to hold over about 8" to the left"
WTH??!! I looked up and said " You wanna strap into this rig and SHOW ME how t hold over 8 inches with these irons?" LOL
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 01/24/23.

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If it was easy, everyone would be doing it. grin

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MikeS
If it was easy, everyone would be doing it. grin
Yup, one of my Mentors ( Paul Reibin) mentioned to me once when we were talking about a crazy wind day.
" Yes Sir, you don't need a crowbar to separate the boys from the girls when the wind starts blowing!" LOL
When guys complain about not being able to shoot well in the wind I simply tell them to wait around a bit, its sure to change!
Cat

E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
A couple years ago I was playing at 600 yards with my 6br. Shooting out of my garage . I shot a group and drove down to check it out. It was about where I expected with the 5 mph cross wind. Looked at my wind sock to shoot another group and kinda scratched my head a little and shot.
I shot the group and went to check. Sure enough in 5 minutes time the wind had switched 90 degrees. Strange stuff happens here in ND. Edk

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by ERK
I shot the group and went to check. Sure enough in 5 minutes time the wind had switched 90 degrees. Strange stuff happens here in ND. Edk

One old joke suggests that's because Montana blows and Minnesota sucks--and vice versa.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by ERK

One old joke suggests that's because Montana blows and Minnesota sucks--and vice versa.
If the wind ever stopped blowing across Southern Alberta and Saskatchewan all the cows would fall over! LOL
Cat

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Here, the only thing stopping the wind is a barbed wire fence on the Montana/Wyoming border. And it's got a couple of broken strands. -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Old joke, If you don’t like the weather in Nebraska wait 15 minutes and it will change.

Swifty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Al, thanks for the good information. Wow, now I feel inadequate with my engineer tape and sticks. I think I'll just go over to the Hunter's Campfire sub-forum and tell someone else how much they suck and then feel better about myself.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
Al, thanks for the good information. Wow, now I feel inadequate with my engineer tape and sticks. I think I'll just go over to the Hunter's Campfire sub-forum and tell someone else how much they suck and then feel better about myself.

Damn sorry you feel that way, but question is did your tape and sticks cost 70 to a 110 bucks per?

Swifty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Originally Posted by TheBigSky

Damn sorry you feel that way, but question is did your tape and sticks cost 70 to a 110 bucks per?
I was being sarcastic as they suffice to me. I am simply impressed with Al's setup.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I thought hard about not posting this but here it goes.

The primary focus here is for hunting rifle stuff with accuracy sufficient for those needs. Given the group sizes those styles of rifles are capable of, many of the wind induced issues get lost in the overall size of the groups. But that doesn't mean it's not there...it's just harder to see and sort out.

That's why a very accurate rifle is an excellent tool by which to really learn what's going on with the wind.

These four groups were fired on the same day over the span of about 20 minutes. The two top groups are 5 shot groups fired with my 30BR 13.5 lb. NBRSA/IBS legal Heavy Varmint gun. Load was identical for all groups. Bullets were my 117's. POA for all groups was the center dot.

-The top two groups were fired with the flags at 3:00 and with careful attention paid to the wind speed.

-The bottom two groups were fired with the flags at exactly the same position as the top two groups but the wind speed changes were purposely ignored. This is commonly done to see how a load reacts in the wind.

-On the bottom (lt) group, the 'push' was wasn't as dramatic as the wind speeds were starting to slack off....you can you see this as the group forms more to the center, which is to be expected. It's also lower.

Forbidden Zoner
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Al,

What was the distance at which those targets were shot?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JayJunem
Al, What was the distance at which those targets were shot?

Those were at 100 yds. -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (06hunter59, 160user, 007FJ, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 58 invisible), 2,098 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,044
Posts18,482,171
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.