Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
and excellent tastes--including in women. wink

I'd say, we both lucked out Leighton & got way more than we deserved !

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Our girls, say hi, to your girls !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hillestadj
The tofu is plain offensive to my round eye sensibilities...

Another thing I'll never understand. Tofu is nothing but a bean product. Takes flavors really well, super versatile and dirt cheap. Many, many different types and textures. I'm not a fanatic or even close, but I definitely enjoy it.

If you dig Korean food and have a decent place to go to, order the sundubu-jigae. If you don't do enjoy seafood order it with beef or pork. If you don't enjoy it, I'll pay for it.

If we had a Korean restaurant worth a sh.it (or at all) I'd sure try it - but, western WI and all...lol. Not in the cards on the reg.

I've had rubbery tofu, crumbly tofu, slimy tofu...just aint it for me texturally. Not spit it out bad, but like you say it tastes like what its cooked with/in so if the texture don't work it might as well not be there.

K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K

Have to take care of the kitchen help too, naturally.

Looks delicious! That anchovy paste is a great "secret" ingredient to add flavour.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Paul;
Morning my friend, I hope that you're getting decent weather out east in the Ontario bush and the family is finer than frog's hair.

Honestly I'm not sure whether to thank you and Leighton for the food photos sometimes or join renegade in hoping your phones/cameras have some sort of coronary thrombosis due to too much rich food.

My goodness that looks so tasty. I mean both of you know how to compose a photo too, I'll give you both that.

Now I'm hungry again though Paul...

I stepped on the scale this morning and it's not time to eat yet... frown

Best to you all this weekend.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks Dwayne.

I think !

All is good, over yonder, Fella.

Currently -13, but EnviroCan says -32 + wind chill, tomorrow & for next week.

2 dog nights, maybe !

Shoulda gone fishing last weekend & kept the book, for this weekend - I guess !!

Doug & Megan's engagement party tomorrow night, be getting started on a slow cooked, pulled pork tonight !

Best to you & your's, too Mate

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That has to be the best-looking soup I've ever seen. I'm sure it tastes as good as it looks.

Blessings your way.

PS. Let's hope your better half returns all safe and sound.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Kamo, did Fish and Game make you debone the meat for entry into your state? All wild game must be deboned before importing into Michigan. MIDNR made the regs to limit CWD spread. With bison, I imagine dishes like osso bucco, marrow, ribs, and the like, would be damn fine eating. Of course, the bone is a major component to get that maximum flavor.

Also, how does it compare to the Maine moose you shot some years ago?

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ha ha! It was the raw egg, wasn't it? lol

Liked raw egg dip for Sukiyaki while in Okinawa but sort of forgot about it.

Thanks.

Gonna have to try it a bit with some other dishes.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Wannabebwana
I'm very open-minded about food and will try anything once.

Having said that, the only food that I will draw a firm line at (so far) is Balut - half-formed duck eggs in the Philippines.

Your first sentence says it all, man.

As far as 'no way in hell am I eating that' foods, balut is probably one. I had the opportunity many times to try them in Manila, but wasn't near drunk enough any of the times, I guess. Everyone else in our party ate them with gusto. wink

I won't eat anything primate and raw brains I will not eat, as well as some dishes that contain uncooked blood. Most anything else I will try at least once.
My brotherJohn ate some balut, and said it wasn't that bad.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Originally Posted by Wannabebwana
I'm very open-minded about food and will try anything once.

Having said that, the only food that I will draw a firm line at (so far) is Balut - half-formed duck eggs in the Philippines.

Your first sentence says it all, man.

As far as 'no way in hell am I eating that' foods, balut is probably one. I had the opportunity many times to try them in Manila, but wasn't near drunk enough any of the times, I guess. Everyone else in our party ate them with gusto. wink

I won't eat anything primate and raw brains I will not eat, as well as some dishes that contain uncooked blood. Most anything else I will try at least once.
My brotherJohn ate some balut, and said it wasn't that bad.

One of those things that probably taste better than they smell.

I am MAGA.
IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Okanagan
Mighty fine looking cooking and I'll bet it tasted better than it looks.

I've eaten a lot of stuff in a lot of countries, a lot of it good, some of it just there and now and then something I'll pass on next time if courtesy permits.

And that's the deal. TRY IT. If you don't like it, you never have to have it again, but at least have the balls to *try* a sample.

MIKEY LIKES IT!

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Ha ha! It was the raw egg, wasn't it? lol

Liked raw egg dip for Sukiyaki while in Okinawa but sort of forgot about it.

Thanks.

Gonna have to try it a bit with some other dishes.

Right on, John. It doesn't suck at all.

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Fascinating to see the way your mind works on cooking...

95% of what you do would just never occur to me.

I'd be doing Country Fried Steak, gravy, biscuits... bacon wrapped Shish kabobs with a few veggies...

Anyway... Good stuff KG... keep it going! Very neat to watch.

I've got maybe 180 pounds left to play with. The world's a stage, my man. wink

Just yesterday I was telling Mrs. KG that I was going to have at a meal for us using bison a la chicken fried steak.

Thanks for your input, L. I've always enjoyed your posts and input on foodie threads, and frankly, have found myself a little jealous of some of your seafood pics. Your local prehistoric looking oysters in particular look positively dynamite...

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
Again you don't disappoint! I agree with bison being one of if not the best table fare one could eat. Been cold here and a bowl of that looks mighty inviting. Also glad to see you took care of the girls, I bet they appreciate a share of your bounty, miss those girls! I need to get me a buff and do the same here soon.

It's a subjective thing of course, but to my palate so far, bison, PH antelope, nilgai, sika deer, eland and young pigs are tops.

As far as birds, wild ostrich was king, hands down. Ruffed grouse, RNPs (non-native, of course) and some geese and ducks are right up there as far as fine eats. All dependant on what they've been eating.

And absolutely my friend, the girls always get their share of whatever meat daddy brings home, and are grateful for it. wink

Looking forward to seeing you soon, and give that gorgeous little new Lab pup of yours some love for me.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Your local prehistoric looking oysters in particular look positively dynamite...

LOL... messing with Horn Shark at the moment...

Holy Macanoli... what a mess.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Gill net caught from some local Commercial fishermen friends...

Think "Crab Cake"...

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot
Kamo, did Fish and Game make you debone the meat for entry into your state? All wild game must be deboned before importing into Michigan. MIDNR made the regs to limit CWD spread. With bison, I imagine dishes like osso bucco, marrow, ribs, and the like, would be damn fine eating. Of course, the bone is a major component to get that maximum flavor.

Also, how does it compare to the Maine moose you shot some years ago?

Hey CF. I read that only bringing meat from cervids in from OOS have restrictions in place. Bovids not mentioned. We share the same thoughts on osso bucco, ribs, etc. I have about 15 pounds of rib bones (meat already trimmed off) in the game freezer, as well as thick rear legs bones I plan on using for the OB. Thanks for the reminder; I need to buy a good bone saw. Also planning on making a big batch of bone broth that I'll parcel into quarts or whatever for soup and sauce bases.

As far as comparing to my NH moose, the moose was very good but not even close to the bison. I used a processor with my moose, as opposed to taking the bison meat apart with lots of help from SD (and Rost in the field). The weather in AK post kill was perfect temp wise (about 34F) which allowed the meat to age for several days unfrozen, before we butchered. That and carefully trimming and cutting the meat right I think made a huge difference in end quality.

From MDFW:

No CWD-infected deer have been found in Massachusetts. If you see a deer or moose in Massachusetts exhibiting any signs of this disease or any other disease, please contact MassWildlife at (508) 389-6300.

In order to keep CWD from coming into Massachusetts, certain restrictions regarding the movement of deer and deer parts have been put in place. If you hunt deer outside of Massachusetts, remember it is illegal to import deer parts from states or provinces where Chronic Wasting Disease has been detected (see map here). It is legal to import deboned meat, clean skull caps, hides without the head, or a fixed taxidermy mount. This ban includes all members of the Cervidae family including, but not limited to, white-tailed deer, mule deer, red deer, moose, caribou, or elk. If you are a non-resident hunting in Massachusetts, it’s important for you to understand the rules for traveling back to your state with a deer harvested in Massachusetts. Check with your home state before bringing a harvested deer or deer parts back.

Hammerdown and everyone else, thanks a bunch for your input and kind words. Loving every bite of this beast. wink

CIK, that's one goofy ass looking fish! wink I love fishcakes/crabcakes and make a mean version of New England cod cakes, if I do say so myself. Salt cod, salt pork, potatoes, eggs and some other basic ingredients...Oh, man they're good. Love to see the mess made with those bad boys--and more so what you do with them.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Kamo….Your adventures, like the Bison hunt, are some of the best threads here. Your literary abilities are excellent and only matched by your culinary abilities. I always quietly enjoy your posts and pictures but what I really respect is your honesty in telling your story. It’s natural for us to try and paint ourselves in the best light by embellishments or slight stretches of the truth, not lies per say but “fish tales” maybe. When I read your fishing and hunting stories I feel like I’m getting the real story…good, bad or indifferent you “shoot” straight and I absolutely respect that. To me that’s the mark of a man secure in himself and secure in his <imperfect> humanity. No matter how prepared or how well one is trained and equipped sh.it happens, sometimes that sh.it is out of our control and sometimes it’s the shooter’s mistake. Anyone that has spent anytime hunting or fishing knows that much is out of our control and even under ideal conditions things can go sideways. Where you stand out Kamo is you tell it like it is and that’s refreshing to see!

Thanks for your great contributions here. I look forward to meeting you in the near future….hopefully once I have some creature comforts in place in SE AK we can plan a trip. I have a feeling that you and I could do just fine fishing together sans guides.

All my best to you and Mrs. Gari.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Fish head soup again?

[Linked Image from media4.giphy.com]

I am MAGA.
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Kamo….Your adventures, like the Bison hunt, are some of the best threads here.

I'm flattered, my man. Thank you for your words. As far as being honest, I know of no other way, for better or worse. Look for a PM soon, please.

With the bounty of bison meat I was fortunate to have been able to bring home, I feel I've been blessed and have been literally having a ball. A lot of guys made this possible.

A couple recent efforts.

Another hearty bison stew/soup seen here:

Today's effort was a straight up dynamite roast beast sandwich. Leftover cold bison tenderloin, sliced as thin as I could get it. Served on a toasted onion roll. Fiery homegrown horseradish and mayo sauce. L and T and thin sliced Bermuda onion over a slab of baby Swiss cheese. Side of ruffle chips. Are you shytting me? Call me what you will, but today I think I enjoyed the very best cold meat sandwich I've ever had.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Superb!

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (21, 007FJ, 2500HD, 160user, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 72 invisible), 2,570 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,090
Posts18,482,931
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.