Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 14 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 13 14
K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Shaman,

You raise another good point about Godly people: they are thankful and content. Thankful because they can see all that God has done for them. That all good comes from God and you are truly thankful for the good he has done for you. Although I may never reach the state of peace of the apostle, Paul, I hope over time God can work on me so that I can become content in all situations. I use these verses from Habbakkuk as inspiration to me (prayed by the prophet ahead of the invasion and destruction of Israel by Babylon):

Even though the fig trees have no blossoms,
and there are no grapes on the vines;
even though the olive crop fails,
and the fields lie empty and barren;
even though the flocks die in the fields,
and the cattle barns are empty,
yet I will rejoice in the Lord!
I will be joyful in the God of my salvation!

I also agree on expectations causing great strife in our lives. If you removed the expectations you place on God or others, along with the equally limiting assumptions, you will have a lot more peace in your life.

Last edited by kmcdonou; 01/31/23.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
A Godly man doesn’t think that he is Godly.

A Godly man doesn’t measure his Godliness because as soon as he does his focus is on self rather than God.

A Godly man recognized that he is not righteous but that his “righteousness”, such as it is, is imputed to him through the righteousness of Christ.

Morality, while important, is never a measure of a believers righteousness. Rather, the measure of righteousness is outside of the man because no one is righteous.

Every believer is a sinner. We even sin in the self-righteous view that we adopt of our good works. As soon as we puff up our chest for some good thing that we have done we have sinned and prove that ultimately our good works are for ourselves because we like the feeling. Absolutely every Christian in the world is always in this situation because we are not righteous. That righteousness is not from us but to us so everything that we do, no matter the goodness of our intention, is tainted with our sin.

That is the teaching of Biblical Christianity. That being the case what are we measuring as a “better life”. I’ve known plenty of Christian’s who were total dumba$$es, stupid, poor decision makers etc. being a believer didn’t change them.

It sounds like many are championing the idea of your “best life now”. It appears that the measure of the “better life” is for many measures in material success and wealth which is never the measure. Truth be told, measuring our goodness, success and the value of what we do is one of the most dangerous and divisive things for the believer because it causes disparity in the believer. Think back to the admonitions of James and Paul.

If a better life is the measure of a benefit of being a Christian, as seems to be the general consensus what do we tell the Christian’s who suffer persecution worldwide ans throughout history? Is the implication that they were and are doing something wrong?

What do we tell the believer who is bipolar, schizophrenic, struggling with depression and anxiety?

The ones who have low IQ and will never rise above a menial job and constant struggle?

What do we tell the woman who is trapped in an abusive relationship who stays there for the sake of protecting her children?

The more that I think about it the more I question whether this thread is even about the faith.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I'd answer, yes, and no.
John The Baptist was beheaded, Jusus. died on The Cross.
There were, and still are many martyrs, of course, that was their death, and the question was about life.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by IZH27
The more that I think about it the more I question whether this thread is even about the faith.
It isn't about faith, it's about avoiding inevitable crosses or "YOLO".

If everyone lived with the YOLO philosophy, there wouldn't be any firemen or doctors among other things.

Politics is War by Other Means
B
Buckman Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Let me just say, I am not Godly. I don't like saying that but its the truth. I have never read the Bible. I do pray to God all the time. I am thankful for my lot in life. I hope he hears me, i hope it matters. There is a famous fisherman that speaks of God at the end of his shows. He always says " WHEN IT BECAME REAL FOR ME" words coming from your heart instead of your head. Maybe that's where i have not gone. I will struggle and find my way, i hope. And thank you to some of the folks here for writing thoughts that make me think, I Can Do Better.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by CCCC
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT
- - - - My comment relates to the issue of believing in Christ and following his teachings. Many Christians profess the former but are rather slack when it comes to the latter.
How many??
Probably most. If it were otherwise, we would be living in an entirely different society.
In that you profess to be totally evidence driven with regard to what you believe, kindly post your proof of that "probably most" and why "we would be living in an entirely different society". This proof with evidence should be enlightening, eh?

Plenty of examples; https://www.huffpost.com/entry/4-teachings-of-jesus-that_b_6343320
FAIL !! Instead of even a smidgen of personally constructed evidence or any proof for your proclamations, you post other persons comments - and not even directly related to your problem here. Is that not hypocrisy??

It makes no difference whether its 'personally constucted' or not, examples have been given....but instead of dealing with these examples, you deflect in the form of pretence, that because I didn't type it myself, it somehow inexplicably doesn't count. - - - -
You fail because you are a hypocrite and a dodger. It has nothing to do with your typing or odd spellings.

You insist and insist in these posts that evidence-delivering proof is the only possible basis for certainty when you try to undermine the position and beliefs of others - proof that has to be gained by the individual in a constructive manner. Yet, when you are challenged to provide a simple proof basis for loose and negative statements you make in a post, you resort to some recorded spiel by another person - call it an "example" (of what?) - and try to pass that off as some proof that you constructed it through a rational process. If you are going to pretend to be a thinker, try harder and cut the phony stuff.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Hahaha! The Aussies trying to justify why they gave up their rights so easily.

They's society so good and right and godless that they dont need guns...but they do needs a govt that made them criminals for not getting a shot or wearing a mask.

I am MAGA.
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by Tyrone

If everyone lived with the YOLO philosophy, there wouldn't be any firemen or doctors among other things.

I didn’t reference faith but THE faith.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Buckman
Let me just say, I am not Godly. I don't like saying that but its the truth. I have never read the Bible. I do pray to God all the time. I am thankful for my lot in life. I hope he hears me, i hope it matters. There is a famous fisherman that speaks of God at the end of his shows. He always says " WHEN IT BECAME REAL FOR ME" words coming from your heart instead of your head. Maybe that's where i have not gone. I will struggle and find my way, i hope. And thank you to some of the folks here for writing thoughts that make me think, I Can Do Better.

Great post. Thanks for the candor.

In the last few (15) years, I've come to read and seek to interpret the Bible for myself.
Raised as a Catholic, we really were not taught to read the Bible for ourselves. By rote, we were taught to show up on Sundays and let the priest read the gospel then give us HIS thoughts in his homily. At least that is how I was instructed to be Catholic.

After going through a divorce and not being allowed the eucharist, I started to seek understanding on my own. Then a remarriage (now at 22 years) exposed me to a non-denominational, Holy Spirit filled church where I have a ton more exposure to ALL the scriptures in the Bible. Not primarily just the gospels.

I can say I have a lot more peace when I make room for scripture in my daily routine than not. I further believe that that peace does indeed make my life better, and those around me as well.
As said above, age plays a role in where we stand in our faith in my opinion. At 30, I believed a yacht and an island in the Bahamas would make my life better.

Then 35 hit. Divorce, loosing my mother, watching my youngest sister bury a 10 year old daughter and then loosing my closest personal relationship at the time, my grand mother, in a three year period, all made me reflect on this journey of life differently.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My wife's parents families both sides are missionaries and ministers.

My parent's families are more alcoholics and a few missionaries.

Her relatives live longer and reproduce better.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've seen too many "Godly" types I wouldn't piss on if they were on fire. My own paternal grandparents to start. And some of the finest Christians I know live their lives as outstanding examples of humanity without pounding on their chests about their faith. It's up to others to decide if someone is Godly. If someone thinks they are they think too much of themselves.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I

Tyrone. My apology for my previous response. I misread your comment.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hardway
Just do what makes you happy as long as it doesn't affect others. Pretty simple really.... never understood some people's need to push their beliefs on others.

Here's the thing about being Christian. Jesus tells us to try to save others. So in love we obey.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I would take godly to mean people that go to church at least twice a week donate considerable money to the church. believe they sin as little as possible in today's world. I believe they THINK they live better than others.. but in today's world there are lots of liars and hypocrites.

In my book a person doesn't need to go to church doesn't have to donate to church. they do need to make choices in life they can live with. as hard as it is to believe you cannot go back and make things undone. some types believe you can go to confession do your thing and all is good. I am not one of them people. as I said before you make choices and do things you can live with.
is your things in life I wish I had done differently you bet some things I kind of even regret but nothing that keeps me from sleeping peacefully at night.

Last edited by ldholton; 01/31/23.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Tyrone. My apology for my previous response. I misread your comment.
I understood that you misunderstood.

Even if I didn't understand that, we are good. I respect you even when we don't agree.

My apologies for being a terrible writer.

Last edited by Tyrone; 01/31/23.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ldholton
some types believe you can go to confession do your thing and all is good.
Certainly there are those types, but one of the points of Confession is the introspection and humility it fosters.

DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
I gotta admit, life as an atheist is excellent - none of that faith nonsense to worry about, except when they over-reach with trying to impose their crap on others.

The world is FULL of groups of people who wish to impose their beliefs on you. Not just "church" groups either. Turn on the news sometime and be filled.

Atheists and God haters have no problem whatsoever sharing their side of the story anywhere, any time.

Crock, I don't talk about religion or atheism unless someone starts the discussion. Plus the whole 'God hater' thing is getting old and tired.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by 79S
I gotta admit, life as an atheist is excellent - none of that faith nonsense to worry about, except when they over-reach with trying to impose their crap on others.

Oh yeah what about the government telling you to get the Covid shot? Aren’t you one of those covtard Australians??

LOL!!! I hit a nerve. You're not something to worry about either.

Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT
- - - - My comment relates to the issue of believing in Christ and following his teachings. Many Christians profess the former but are rather slack when it comes to the latter.
How many??
Probably most. If it were otherwise, we would be living in an entirely different society.
In that you profess to be totally evidence driven with regard to what you believe, kindly post your proof of that "probably most" and why "we would be living in an entirely different society". This proof with evidence should be enlightening, eh?

Plenty of examples; https://www.huffpost.com/entry/4-teachings-of-jesus-that_b_6343320
FAIL !! Instead of even a smidgen of personally constructed evidence or any proof for your proclamations, you post other persons comments - and not even directly related to your problem here. Is that not hypocrisy??

It makes no difference whether its 'personally constucted' or not, examples have been given....but instead of dealing with these examples, you deflect in the form of pretence, that because I didn't type it myself, it somehow inexplicably doesn't count. - - - -
You fail because you are a hypocrite and a dodger. It has nothing to do with your typing or odd spellings.

You insist and insist in these posts that evidence-delivering proof is the only possible basis for certainty when you try to undermine the position and beliefs of others - proof that has to be gained by the individual in a constructive manner. Yet, when you are challenged to provide a simple proof basis for loose and negative statements you make in a post, you resort to some recorded spiel by another person - call it an "example" (of what?) - and try to pass that off as some proof that you constructed it through a rational process. If you are going to pretend to be a thinker, try harder and cut the phony stuff.

Look in the mirror, sweetie. You are the epitome of hypocrisy and dishonesty. You lie and misrepresent your opponents in practically every response that you make.

I provided an article that gave examples of Christians not following the teachings of Jesus, which you avoided by deflecting onto me.

I then gave examples of my own, squabbling and conflict over theology, division, shunning and ostracism, etc, which you also failed to address, instead deflecting onto me.

That is your dishonesty, your gutter tactics....you try to punch above your ability, and grubby in your tactics.

And of course, this is another example of christian lip service, all talk but no practice.

Have a nice day, pretender.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A Godly man doesn’t think that he is Godly.

A Godly man doesn’t measure his Godliness because as soon as he does his focus is on self rather than God.

A Godly man recognized that he is not righteous but that his “righteousness”, such as it is, is imputed to him through the righteousness of Christ.

Best post yet! .... All true.

Page 6 of 14 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

518 members (10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 1234, 160user, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 66 invisible), 2,413 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,320
Posts18,487,413
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.