S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by RHClark
Originally Posted by steve4102
Originally Posted by MadMooner
There ain’t a damn thing in the world that doesn’t “cause cancer”.

If you’re eating enough spam to get cancer from it, I’d bet a dollar to a processed ham loaf you have a lot more to worry about.

Probably right at this point, since we have put poison on our crops that has drained into our water for generations. Lots we just can't avoid, but I do avoid what I can.

I'm guessing you believe MSG is "Bad" as well, and people have allergic reactions to it.

Naw. It's health food and should be sold as supplements. Please carry on.

No comment on that ridiculous link you posted being shot down in flames.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from i.gifer.com]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MadMooner
There ain’t a damn thing in the world that doesn’t “cause cancer”.

If you’re eating enough spam to get cancer from it, I’d bet a dollar to a processed ham loaf you have a lot more to worry about.

Probably right at this point, since we have put poison on our crops that has drained into our water for generations. Lots we just can't avoid, but I do avoid what I can.

I hear ya. I’ve gone out of my way to eat better, cleaner food.
Sure not going to quit the occasional spam sandwich, store bought bacon, or lettuce picked by some ‘Cans.

Hell, the water coming out of most folks taps is pretty suspect.

But still, folks still live longer every year. Except the last couple maybe.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
SPAM carbonara - sub in cubed out SPAM for Pancetta. Proceed per the ancient ways.

Divinity, on a budget.

Best application for it I’ve discovered.

Like Ren 50 said about one’s mind and the limits of its applications….

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
They should put the Carbonara recipe on the back of the can.

Last edited by Mr_Harry; 02/06/23.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from karengillmoreart.files.wordpress.com]
[Linked Image from images.squarespace-cdn.com][Linked Image from images.squarespace-cdn.com][Linked Image from media.tenor.com]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
SPAM is the national commercial meat of bush Alaska. I prefer the hickory smoke version and the bacon after that. The other flavors I've not really taken much of a liking to.

Grilled SPAM and cheese is THE schitt. I've diced it up and dumped it into a crock pot of navy beans, made omelets with it or just a plain sammich out of the can.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by JeffA
[Linked Image from hormelfoods.com]

SPAM Baked French Toast

1 (12-ounce) can SPAM with Bacon, cubed
1 (16-ounce) loaf Hawaiian bread, cubed
8 eggs
1 cup half & half
1 cup coconut milk
1 cup crushed pineapple, well drained
1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Heat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease 9×13-inch baking dish.

2. In large skillet over medium heat, cook SPAM® with Bacon 2 to 3 minutes or until lightly browned; set aside to cool.

3. Spread bread cubes in prepared pan, sprinkle SPAM® with Bacon over top.

4. In large bowl, beat eggs, half & half and coconut milk. Stir in crushed pineapple and half of the sweetened flaked coconut. Pour evenly over the SPAM® with Bacon. Press bread down slightly to absorb the egg mixture.

5. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining coconut flakes and bake 15 minutes or until coconut is toasted.
I'm making that! Looks delicious and I love spam. Also love vienna sausage. Thanks for the recipe.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from wgbh.brightspotcdn.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by stevelyn
SPAM is the national commercial meat of bush Alaska. I prefer the hickory smoke version and the bacon after that. The other flavors I've not really taken much of a liking to.

Grilled SPAM and cheese is THE schitt. I've diced it up and dumped it into a crock pot of navy beans, made omelets with it or just a plain sammich out of the can.

Gots to have...

[Linked Image from m.media-amazon.com][Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
I tend to stick with the original on account of the other varieties containing mechanically separated chicken.

I am MAGA.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
In the late 70’s when living on a sailboat in St Thomas, I made lots of one dish meals from Spam or canned corned beef, eggs, onions, peppers and potatoes. No cancer yet so the WHO predictions aren’t for me.

Last edited by Old Ornery; 02/06/23.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Spam cooked on foil over campfire thin and crispy

Think i need a bigger gun
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I eat a can about once every six months or so. It IS awfully salty, and makes my BP race a bit.

However, a couple of times a year ain't gonna kill me, and it's tasty stuff. I usually put it on a biscuit with an egg and some cheese, and a little mustard. Two cans a year is about my limit, though. I buy the bacon-laced variety, usually. Good stuff.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Fact #1: Sodium nitrite reacts with the protein in meat to create nitrosamines, which can cause cancer.

Fact #2: I have worked as a contractor in the Hormel - Austin, MN facility that produces Spam and studied the process. Spam was originally made from shoulder cuts that were difficult to process or lower demand. The product was very high quality. Over time, with the huge demand, the product has only increased in quality as more whole cuts of meat have been added to the grind to increase the volume.

Fact #3: There is plenty of true demand for the bits and pieces of pork for the various sausages so that adding it to Spam would be stupid.

Subjective #1: I like Spam, I like sausage, I like hot dogs, I like lots of stuff that might not be the best for me. I'll take the risk, which is probably a lower risk than the Spit Factor at the fast food drive-thru.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I must admit that, while I like the concept, I have never been able to cultivate a taste for it. I still keep several cans, as they constitute animal protein and fat in a long storage form. When they expire, I feed them to my dogs. Only rarely, when I've surprised myself by being out of bacon, sausage, or corned beef hash, do I actually open a can and fry a slice or two of it to serve with my eggs.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I must admit that, while I like the concept, I have never been able to cultivate a taste for it.

Hawk, Under "Stuff you can't make up", I was going to suggest trying a different flavor and providing you a link. This is what my search found - douche flavor:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

468 members (160user, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 1lesfox, 41 invisible), 1,852 guests, and 1,174 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,754
Posts18,495,429
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.