Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
We had a black mongrel lab looking dog here on the ranch that lived with a single ranch hand and ran with the Coyotes, as a result we had some black Coy-Dogs, I killed 2 of that had a young doe cornered on the fence line, I wouldn't be surprised if some very light colored Coyotes show up in that area. Rio7

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The Real Hawkeye;
Good afternoon or I see it's evening already down in Florida, I hope the day was a good one for you and you're well.

Thanks for the link, as mentioned by others it's not super unusual that dogs will run with coyotes, but most don't return to living with humans for a number of reasons.

Please forgive me, but that reminds me of a story so...

In BC it's unlawful for a dog to be running without supervision up in the mountains, but unless one is a rancher with livestock, it's technically unlawful for anyone other than a CO to put down said roving Rover.

At one time in the very ancient past, we had a CO auxiliary program where a few of us would volunteer to both show the CO's our part of the mountain road systems and just be another body along for stops.

Training day was just the CO telling us what we'd be doing riding along and that we were agreeing to take time off work to testify in court if need be.

There was one really enthusiastic fellow there who was "thick as a brick" as we used to say - uncharitable as it may have been, it was an accurate assessment.

After the initial discussion, the CO asks if there's any questions and Mr. Thickbrick says, "So if I see a dog chasing deer up in the mountains and I shoot it and then I call you..."

The CO puts up his hand to stop Mr. Thickbrick and says, "Here in BC only a sworn CO can lawfully dispatch free roaming dogs, therefore when you call me and tell me you've committed an offense, I have to act".

Mr. Thickbrick tries again with "Yah but if I see that dog chasing a deer and I shoot it and then I call you..."

Again the hand of the CO comes up and this time he says, "Why are you calling me? Shoot the dog and shut up about it - but don't call me!" laugh

The room broke up for quite awhile as you'd expect.

That CO was a real gentleman and I enjoyed the few times I spent with him up in the mountains behind the house.

Best to you tonight Hawkeye.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 02/08/23.

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

487 members (41rem, 3040Krag, 270cowboy, 358WCF, 19rabbit52, 007FJ, 49 invisible), 1,712 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,019
Posts18,520,757
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.