-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Irons are easier for people to *think* they’re proficient. They’re incredibly harder to use correctly, but most people never shoot to a standard difficult enough for them to know how bad they are.

(Cue the “most self defense shootings occur at bad breath distance” club)

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
GB1

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I may have missed this point in the previous pages, if somebody already mentioned it I apologize.

The older I got, the harder it got to focus and properly obtain a good sight picture with iron sights, both with handgun and longun past 20 yds or so. An optic solved that for me.

Regards,
Manny

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by justin10mm
I wanted a red dot forever because I thought I'd love it. Finally got one and put it on a Glock 40. I just can't warm up to it. Hats off to anyone that can afford to put in enough time and money to get fast with one, because it ain't me.

I'd personally never put one on a serious carry gun. The added accuracy potential doesn't make up for the slower target acquisition in my book. Give me a laser instead.

There is no cost to learn how to acquire the DOT fast, it is all about presentation and that can be learned without firing a shot. If you can't find the FOT then you aren't aligned with your sights.

This... practice without bullets is cheap and effective.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I went to a red dot because my eyes couldn’t see the irons well, extremely fuzzy in good light and hard to see in lower light period.
I wear readers.
I didn’t want to have to wear glasses or contacts to shoot
Accurately.
The red dot solved that problem very well but you have to put in the work to get familiar with it.

Trijicon RMRcc with 6.5MOA dot

When carrying, I’ve never noticed that I’m carrying an rmr. I think it weighs 1-2oz and my slide cut is low so I don’t even need suppressor height sights to co-witness.

The dot does take some time to acquire effectively, quickly. Practicing at the range and practicing my presentation at home has helped a ton.

The best reticle to get for this (which trijicon doesn’t offer), is the acss Vulcan …. The large circle disappears when centered but when presented off-axis provides a quick way to identify where the dot is and how to get it centered

https://www.primaryarms.com/holosun-hs507c-v2-acss-pistol-red-dot-sight-acss-reticle

Attached Images
Last edited by DAMARA; 02/11/23.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by johnw
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
If everyone would quit buying cheap dots the whole failure thing wouldn't be an issue.

I think cheap dots are great. But I don't have one on a handgun yet. I now have 2 of the Sig Romeo 5s on rifles. Can't see it getting too much better.

I've only got one handgun that came ready to accept the RDS. I've only had it since august and am enjoying it the way it came. But I expect it'll eventually wear the dot. A knowledgeable friend tells me that I'm limited by footprint of the cut-out on the P365X as to what I can readily mount.

The Romeo Zero stands out as a likely candidate, in my mind, simply because of my experience with the Romeo5.

In a sort of backhanded rebuttal of TRH's complication vs simplicity remarks, I'd say that even if newer and advanced technology is used, there is no simpler sighting system than a dot sight. It puts the alignment of front and rear sights in the same light as the use of the bronze sword.

And after reading reviews of the Romeo Zero, I gotta reconsider. Seems the polymer frame can flex when mounting screws are snugged and it's sometimes enough to make it difficult or impossible to zero.

Next option looks like the Holosun 407K/507K X2. Does anyone with the 507K X2 use the circle dot reticle? I gotta think that the bigger dot of the 407K X2 would be easier to pick up and hit with. But I'd like opinions on that before I send money...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If everyone would quit buying cheap dots the whole failure thing wouldn't be an issue.

I think cheap dots are great. But I don't have one on a handgun yet. I now have 2 of the Sig Romeo 5s on rifles. Can't see it getting too much better.

I've only got one handgun that came ready to accept the RDS. I've only had it since august and am enjoying it the way it came. But I expect it'll eventually wear the dot. A knowledgeable friend tells me that I'm limited by footprint of the cut-out on the P365X as to what I can readily mount.

The Romeo Zero stands out as a likely candidate, in my mind, simply because of my experience with the Romeo5.

In a sort of backhanded rebuttal of TRH's complication vs simplicity remarks, I'd say that even if newer and advanced technology is used, there is no simpler sighting system than a dot sight. It puts the alignment of front and rear sights in the same light as the use of the bronze sword.

And after reading reviews of the Romeo Zero, I gotta reconsider. Seems the polymer frame can flex when mounting screws are snugged and it's sometimes enough to make it difficult or impossible to zero.

Next option looks like the Holosun 407K/507K X2. Does anyone with the 507K X2 use the circle dot reticle? I gotta think that the bigger dot of the 407K X2 would be easier to pick up and hit with. But I'd like opinions on that before I send money...

I have a green dot 407k x2 on my Shield+ that I love.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I have the 507K on my Sig P-365XL and the 507C on my EDM-ELITE with the Circle DOT and I love them

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
507C on a S&W 686 and one on a G19. Dot only.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Yes, I have the 507k X2 on my P365 and I prefer the circle dot reticle over the other two choices.
I thought I would prefer the simple dot and the uncluttered view but I've found the circle dot to be quicker to pick up and no detriment to precision.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by NVhntr

Yes, I have the 507k X2 on my P365 and I prefer the circle dot reticle over the other two choices.
I thought I would prefer the simple dot and the uncluttered view but I've found the circle dot to be quicker to pick up and no detriment to precision.

When I'm trying to hit a 3"X5" index card at 50 feet at an indoor range, I find the circle dot to be a real detriment to precision. It is too busy and crowds the center of the optic.

As an aside, I am on an email notification list for a Primary Arms 507K X2 with the ACSS Vulcan reticle. Primary Arms says that the dot is 3 MOA, which is between the 507K and 407K dot sizes, plus it has the 230 MOA Vulcan outer circle to give immediate feedback if there is an alignment issue. I'll evaluate if that is a better mousetrap.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lot of guys just shoot the empty circle reticle, the "donut of death." I have a 507C x2 and really don't care much for the circle/dot combination. Too busy. The circle is fast and at close to midranges is accurate enough to do headshots at 25 yards and keep A zone hits to 50 yards. With that said, I have a preference for the dot only.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good info from all, and I appreciate it.

GC,
You prefer the single dot, and I'll assume yours is 2MOA? If choosing today, would you prefer 2 or 6 MOA?

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Personally, I like the 2 MOA dot. If I want it to appear bigger I can turn it up a little and let it "bloom" up.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
johnw,

I use a 507k x2 on my G23 and love the circle dot…but then again I’ve been using Bushnell Holosights with circle/dots on hunting revolvers for about 20 years now. Very quick and accurate for me. 😎

Livin ain’t killed me yet, but it’s workin on it!
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Doc_Holidude
johnw,

I use a 507k x2 on my G23 and love the circle dot…but then again I’ve been using Bushnell Holosights with circle/dots on hunting revolvers for about 20 years now. Very quick and accurate for me. 😎

That is what prefer as well is the circle DOT

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
33 yards picture taken with 11.8 X magnification

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

200 grain flat point hardcast loaded by Mackay_Sagebrush 1200FPS in my pistol

Results

My pistol and Holosun 507C

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
The DOT sights are a very accurate way to equip your daily carry pistol or hunting pistol

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Just threw a PSA frankengun together with a Primary Arms classic dot to try out.

I'm impressed. A few hundred rounds through it, zero malfunctions, dot adjusted easily then held zero.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by jwp475
I wanted a red dot forever because I thought I'd love it. Finally got one and put it on a Glock 40. I just can't warm up to it. Hats off to anyone that can afford to put in enough time and money to get fast with one, because it ain't me.

I'd personally never put one on a serious carry gun. The added accuracy potential doesn't make up for the slower target acquisition in my book. Give me a laser instead.

There is no cost to learn how to acquire the DOT fast, it is all about presentation and that can be learned without firing a shot. If you can't find the FOT then you aren't aligned with your sights.
Perfect presentation and sight alignment are fine goals however real world situations don't always allow for it.

This is BS, because no matter the sights without proper presentation you will not hit your target quickly

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (1minute, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1234, 222Sako, 74 invisible), 2,263 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,791
Posts18,496,099
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.