Hop To
Page 7 of 16 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 15 16
M
memtb Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
I found the same things and have the same issues that you state. There wasn’t a lot of bear killing going on until the firearm bullet diameter and horsepower substantially increased, even when larger, more powerful handguns were used …. poor bullet design, weight for caliber, ect. for bear stopping should be noted! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I think the point SBTCO was making was that he feels handguns are effective in deterring attacks, and that people can make hits with them under pressure. I am not knocking the article because the bears weren't always killed when shot, especially with a .22 LR. I am 100% a .223 Rem guy for deer but I see attacking bears as a different situation.

My point was that the article was terribly written and wasn't always about 'attacks', nor was it edited for clarity or quality control, so I really have to wonder what else it got wrong or didn't mention???

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Had a friend many years ago drop a sow on skilak lake in AK with a glock 10mm. Took the whole mag.

I'll take a rifle

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Many years ago, I dropped a sow with a 338WM. Took the whole mag.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Follow me for more Bear Stopping advice...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Proud NRA Life Member
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Salmonella

That's why I take bears as seriously as a heart attack!

Do you know if that poor guy survived?

I would rather pass than to live without a face or eyesight. Geezeeeeeeee.........

These are my choice, will stop any bear from ruining your day or even worse your life.

KB

Last edited by KillerBee; 02/15/23.

KB

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Joel/AK
Had a friend many years ago drop a sow on skilak lake in AK with a glock 10mm. Took the whole mag.

I'll take a rifle

What bullet, what shot placement, how many rds. did the magazine hold

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by VernAK

Bullet used, shot placement, etc.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jwp475

The 338WM was quite new then and ammo I had was Winchester 200 gr Power Points.
The bear stood up and looked over the willows at me at about 75 yards. I shot her right below the eye and she dropped into the willows.
thinking I had a dead bear, I walked into the willows and had a one-eyed grizzly coming after me. Four more shots in front shoulder area
finally got her down.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by jwp475

The 338WM was quite new then and ammo I had was Winchester 200 gr Power Points.
The bear stood up and looked over the willows at me at about 75 yards. I shot her right below the eye and she dropped into the willows.
thinking I had a dead bear, I walked into the willows and had a one-eyed grizzly coming after me. Four more shots in front shoulder area
finally got her down.

Dang! That would get a fellow's attention. Glad you made it. Bullet penetration wasn't so great?

Guy

IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
In a few months taking my 10 y/o daughter brown bear hunting. She has first poke with dad backing her up. The logistics of dealing with a bear, most likely in the dark with a 10 y/o with lots of other bears around is stressing me out a little. Will have 44 mag on me when skinning. The thought of things going sideways is definitely on my mind.

Probably will bring her back to the boat and deal with the skinning solo.

Good times.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Calvin
In a few months taking my 10 y/o daughter brown bear hunting. She has first poke with dad backing her up. The logistics of dealing with a bear, most likely in the dark with a 10 y/o with lots of other bears around is stressing me out a little. Will have 44 mag on me when skinning. The thought of things going sideways is definitely on my mind.

Good times.

Do it Calvin! My son killed his first one at age 10 and used his 9.3x62 with 250gr Accubonds at 2150, basically a replication of the .35 Winchester. Low recoil and plenty of killing power. We had his boar at 40 yards for over ten minutes waiting for it to turn broadside. I was really watching him for nervousness, thinking things might go downhill given how long we were waiting for it to turn. At one point he whispered "Dad, do you want me to just rake him?" and I knew he was doing just fine with not losing his mind. He shot it perfectly, including twice on the run after the first shot. I gave it one round, in retrospect mostly because that was the wife-approved thing to do.

I think your concerns about other bears causing a problem while you're skinning are an issue in the fall, but not so much in the spring. Having skinned a decent number of bears at both times of the year, I've had to fend off various ones in the fall, but never in the spring. What gun is she using? I think a .308 and a good 150gr bullet would be plenty to let the air out of one, as she's not looking to stop a bear, just kill one.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by pabucktail
I think your concerns about other bears causing a problem while you're skinning are an issue in the fall, but not so much in the spring. Having skinned a decent number of bears at both times of the year, I've had to fend off various ones in the fall, but never in the spring.

Interesting. I have never hunted there in the Spring. So, I have no experience, but I would have thought the opposite.

Why do you think they're more-aggressive in the Fall? I thought that they would have been more-aggressive in the Spring, just because, I think, they're generally hungrier then.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Last edited by 257Bob; 02/28/23.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
... Marlin 1895GS and max hand load with Woodleigh 405 grain Weldcore bullet or factory "yellow box" Buffalo Bore 430 grain FN hardcast lead bullet ... if the bear is still standing after the smoke clears the bear was probably a "Smokey The Bear" billboard

Proud Life Member of the NRA & GOA
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
I think your concerns about other bears causing a problem while you're skinning are an issue in the fall, but not so much in the spring. Having skinned a decent number of bears at both times of the year, I've had to fend off various ones in the fall, but never in the spring.

Interesting. I have never hunted there in the Spring. So, I have no experience, but I would have thought the opposite.

Why do you think they're more-aggressive in the Fall? I thought that they would have been more-aggressive in the Spring, just because, I think, they're generally hungrier then.

As they work to find calories before going into hibernation brown bears become increasingly bold, pushy, and aggressive. In my experience in southeast, September through November are the worst months for aggressive bears because hunger drives them to takes risks or behave in ways they don't at more food-rich times of the year such as spring grass or summer salmon runs.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pricedo
... Marlin 1895GS and max hand load with Woodleigh 405 grain Weldcore bullet or factory "yellow box" Buffalo Bore 430 grain FN hardcast lead bullet ... if the bear is still standing after the smoke clears the bear was probably a "Smokey The Bear" billboard

Yep.

Saw a heifer squatting wearing a big black cloak a mile from the trailhead. Good thing no one was hunting...

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Salmonella

... YASS SIR ... I agree ... a 223 is definitely enuf gun for brown bears

Proud Life Member of the NRA & GOA
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Calvin

Good times.

Do it Calvin! My son killed his first one at age 10 and used his 9.3x62 with 250gr Accubonds at 2150, basically a replication of the .35 Winchester. Low recoil and plenty of killing power. We had his boar at 40 yards for over ten minutes waiting for it to turn broadside. I was really watching him for nervousness, thinking things might go downhill given how long we were waiting for it to turn. At one point he whispered "Dad, do you want me to just rake him?" and I knew he was doing just fine with not losing his mind. He shot it perfectly, including twice on the run after the first shot. I gave it one round, in retrospect mostly because that was the wife-approved thing to do.

I think your concerns about other bears causing a problem while you're skinning are an issue in the fall, but not so much in the spring. Having skinned a decent number of bears at both times of the year, I've had to fend off various ones in the fall, but never in the spring. What gun is she using? I think a .308 and a good 150gr bullet would be plenty to let the air out of one, as she's not looking to stop a bear, just kill one.

[Linked Image]

Not really sure yet on gun yet. She has her 6.5 127 lrx but might go a little heavier with milder load 7saum/160AB. Haven't decided yet. Good to know about fall versus spring. Going to the S end of Kootznoowoo. Not really looking forward to messing with a bunch of guides but will stand my ground with them.

Fantastic job on the bear btw. I think my daughter is 80lbs soaking wet, so a bigger rifle probably wouldn't go so well.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Short stock, thick pad, heavy jacket.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Page 7 of 16 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 17CalFan, 222ND, 219 Wasp, 55 invisible), 2,583 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,579
Posts18,473,329
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.