Print Thread
Hop To
H
hntr1 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
Anyone ever make it out of venison heart? Had someone tell me how good it is and i have a moose heart to do something with. Online the recipes are calling for boiling in water with pickling spice and then slicing and placing in a mason jar with a brine of water, salt, vinegar, onions and pickling spices. Does anyone have a pet recipe to share? I also have the tongue and was wondering if it would be good using the same method.

Thanks Gents

Last edited by hntr1; 02/15/23.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds good.

A friend used to pickle beef tongue when I was a kid, I loved it.
Mom had the recipe but lost it.🥺

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
I'd follow this recipe, Cool, and use cider vinegar, cloves, onion, garlic, store in the fride for two weeks, and enjoy.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have NOT tried this, but a buddy recently emailed this to me. I just copied what he sent.

"My parents used to serve this for Happy Hour during deer season to the hunters that we guided. My Mom used a different pickling recipe, but I wanted to simplify the process so I use the pre-made dressing.

I cut the raw heart open top to bottom and into 2-3 pieces. I remove the tough connective tissue inside and ensure that all the blood is washed out. If you want to serve the pickled heart in a week or so go ahead and boil it in water until fully cooked. (No longer pink inside when you slice it.) If you want to save the hearts till a later date (Next deer season) I wrap the cleaned hearts like you would raw meat and freeze them.

After the heart is cooked I remove the pieces from the water and let them cool. Once cooled I slice the pieces about 1/4 inch thick. I remove any more pieces of the tough tissue (Inside) and fat (Outside) that I may have missed earlier. Then I cut the slices in pieces about 1 1/4 inch long. The resulting pieces should fit nicely on a Ritz Cracker. Put the meat pieces in a large glass jar or split evenly between some smaller ones.

For the pickling brine I mix equal parts of Wish Bone Italian Dressing and Vinegar and pour it over the meat pieces. I like to have the level of the mixture at least a couple inches over the top of the heart pieces. I use a large glass jar with a lid to hold it while it is aging. I place the jar with meat/brine in the refrigerator for about a week before I serve/eat it. I stir the mixture once a day for the week that it is pickling in the refrigerator.

After about a week of pickling in the refrigerator I scoop the pieces out with a slotted spoon and put them in a small bowl. I put the bowl on a plate surrounded with Ritz or Club Crackers and some slices of sharp cheese. It is mostly a guy thing (Hunting Camp), but some women will like it as well. Return the jar with unused pieces to the refrigerator for storage. I try to use it within a couple weeks after the initial week of pickling, but it may last longer.

I don't like hot food, but I guess you could also add sliced jalapeno peppers or red chili flakes to the pickling juice if you wanted it spicy."

H
hntr1 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
They both sound good, thanks guys

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

520 members (10gaugeman, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 22250rem, 1234, 1lessdog, 61 invisible), 2,183 guests, and 1,187 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,367
Posts18,506,470
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.