Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by earlybrd
Wild dogs are hell on fawns

Yep. Those that run in packs like that don’t get a pass around here.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Salty303
Those collies and wiener dogs very scary for sure

Just imagine if it was a Chihuahua / pit bull cross. 😬

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Best game shot I ever made was on a cur dog chasing penned deer. The guy that had a lease I was on had a 20 +- acre pen with some deer in it. His girlfriend came running over to the camp house one morning when I just got back yelling I had to kill the dogs running his deer!!! Only had my .44 so soon as we got back over to the house she shoves his 30/06 at me. Went through the gate as the chase was going by about 100 yards out full speed. Swung past a big black dog with the crosshairs like swinging a shotgun past a dove and hit the trigger. Dog fell for what looked like 20 yards. Pulled up on his front legs and I hit him again. Still proud of that shot.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by earlybrd
Wild dogs are hell on fawns
Are they ever. One year I lost the whole fawn crop to 3 free ranging dogs. They were not around after that season.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
This is not legal advice.... Just advice from one man to another.... If you are going to do stuff like this, meaning, clean up the loose dog problem... don't be posting it on the Internet forms.

If you run into trouble with the law of any kind, even if it is unrelated to this issue.... they will find it.... and find it easily. And then use it against you.

I have witnessed this as a juror in a trial.

Well... we have come to the point.... where... the parasites are killing the host. It's only a matter of time now.

They only win.... when they cheat.
IC B2

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by tikkanut
This Ruger would take 'em out

With our current winter snow conditions

Actually waiting for a 'yote coming into the yard

looking for a free meal......MI MI the cat

pic 2....Ruger is waiting

More I shoot it the more I like it

Have 500+ rds out now

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Finally, a good use for cats. wink

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by smokepole
Too bad you don't live in eastern Ohio or western PA, they'd be dead already.

What with all the PVC and sodium chlorides in the air.

More likely the airborne lead around here.

The pit blood would have been shed by now. The Collie volunteered to be next.
If my bases were covered, I'd report the livestock assault. It covers the killing.
Maybe track them back to the asshats that need addressed.

On the other hand, there can't be retribution for dogs just not coming home.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Just imagine if it was a Chihuahua / pit bull cross. 😬

Always pondered a JackRottie cross.
Shear aggression and energy in a 100# of muscle.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
After having a run in with 2 large dogs on a pitch black night having a smoke i called the SO.

They came out and i told them i will no longer give a run off shot i will kill them dead.

He thought i was talking about every animal.

Had the Sheriff call me the next day because i wanted him to hear it from me what would happen.

No more mister nice guy here.

Brother in law has been told if he sees them with his thermal take them out.

I am tired of having folks buying 1 or 2 acres or just enough to put a trailer on letting their large junk yard dogs run all over.

Since that day i have not seen any dogs running loose.

It is just wrong to do that.

Take them out.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Loose, running dogs are a major problem. They wind up dead around here - if they leave town.
I've seen packs of "domestic" and collared dogs, numbering over 20.
Law says, any dog running loose, in an agricultural area, is a target - for all intents.
Dogs are WAY worse than coyotes, and possibly worse than wolves - on an overall, agricultural, loss basis.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Never ever complain to the owner of a bad dog. You had just as well call his wife ugly or his daughter a ho. Take care of it, drag it off where it won't be found or at least won't be traced to you.

Don't put on social media and don't answer questions if the owner or police show up.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by mikieb
This is not legal advice.... Just advice from one man to another.... If you are going to do stuff like this, meaning, clean up the loose dog problem... don't be posting it on the Internet forms.

If you run into trouble with the law of any kind, even if it is unrelated to this issue.... they will find it.... and find it easily. And then use it against you.

I have witnessed this as a juror in a trial.
Check your state code. Iowa is the duty of a sworn officer and the right of any citizen to dispatch free running dogs that are a threat to livestock pets or humans

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hastings
Never ever complain to the owner of a bad dog. You had just as well call his wife ugly or his daughter a ho. Take care of it, drag it off where it won't be found or at least won't be traced to you.

Don't put on social media and don't answer questions if the owner or police show up.

Hastings;
Good evening to you sir, I trust you're either missing out on the latest Arctic air incursion or are sufficiently warm through artificial means.

We're allowed to protect livestock here from roaming dogs, but we're not legally allowed to shoot them chasing wildlife. Legally that has to be done by a LEO, likely a CO since they're typically more proficient with a long arm.

Since none of us would ever encourage anyone anywhere to not obey the law, especially on social media where it's floating about for all eternity, I'd opine that the advice you've given is sterling.

All the best.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by BC30cal

Hastings;
Good evening to you sir, I trust you're either missing out on the latest Arctic air incursion or are sufficiently warm through artificial means.

We're allowed to protect livestock here from roaming dogs, but we're not legally allowed to shoot them chasing wildlife. Legally that has to be done by a LEO, likely a CO since they're typically more proficient with a long arm.

Since none of us would ever encourage anyone anywhere to not obey the law, especially on social media where it's floating about for all eternity, I'd opine that the advice you've given is sterling.

All the best.

Dwayne
Glad your co are more proficient than you, bet your Mounties. Are more moral than you, and your government more just. You Canadian stake the cake.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by blanket
Originally Posted by BC30cal

Hastings;

All the best.

Dwayne
Glad your co are more proficient than you, bet your Mounties. Are more moral than you, and your government more just. You Canadian stake the cake.

I don't believe your voice to text app is working very well.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rickt300

That Border collie jumped up and grabbed a donkey by the nose and shook it's head before it let go. That weiner dog was a 60 pounder and had a collar, she is safe from me.

Surprising that the Donkey didn't kick the stuffings out of the mangy mutt.....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Many years ago I would set up on a hill to over look my, then ex-wife's uncle pasture to watch for dogs coming out of the near by subdivision to to run his sheep. Killed a number of those dogs.

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by arkypete
Many years ago I would set up on a hill to over look my, then ex-wife's uncle pasture to watch for dogs coming out of the near by subdivision to to run his sheep. Killed a number of those dogs.
And you should have done just that.

Before my neighbors came to the understanding that their dogs weren't coming home if they went off killing things on other people's property we had a serious issue with dogs killing fawns and chasing cattle. Pit bull hybrids at that. The situation we are faced with is several rural ghetto black folk's trailer houses on 70 acres adjoining our property. All these folks are extended family with each other and would not properly feed or manage the breeding of dogs.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rickt300

That Border collie jumped up and grabbed a donkey by the nose and shook it's head before it let go. That weiner dog was a 60 pounder and had a collar, she is safe from me.
And you fired warning shots the 2 times you have seen them??

You're doing good.

You can't make this stuff up.

Do coyotes get the same warning shots?

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 02/24/23.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by shootem
Best game shot I ever made was on a cur dog chasing penned deer. The guy that had a lease I was on had a 20 +- acre pen with some deer in it. His girlfriend came running over to the camp house one morning when I just got back yelling I had to kill the dogs running his deer!!! Only had my .44 so soon as we got back over to the house she shoves his 30/06 at me. Went through the gate as the chase was going by about 100 yards out full speed. Swung past a big black dog with the crosshairs like swinging a shotgun past a dove and hit the trigger. Dog fell for what looked like 20 yards. Pulled up on his front legs and I hit him again. Still proud of that shot.

I found a big husky harassing our cow herd one morning. Spent a couple minutes trying to catch up with him on the four wheeler until he singled of a calf in the thick brush and the two of them broke cover. About 50 yards away running, the dog right on the calf's heals. I made sure the calf was clear and put a .270 round through the dog's neck crumpling him. Blew the collar clear off. Found it laying a couple feet away with a broken buckle.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (12344mag, 2500HD, 222Sako, 160user, 240NMC, 1lessdog, 64 invisible), 2,299 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,291
Posts18,486,921
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.