Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by stevelyn
James River Armory is proud of their schitt too.

Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Contrary to popular legend the M1 Carbine and cartridge makes an effective combo.

Until it gets cold, then they are troublesome.

What is this "cold" you speak of?

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I just have my dad's Universal with a weaver 2.5X scope. It's unfortunately not very reliable, however it is surprisingly accurate. I've killed some big hogs, lots of varmints and a deer at 115 yards with it. I've got a lot of respect for those little. 30 caliber soft points. I wish I had a more reliable rifle.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Blue Sky is a company that imported a ton of .30 Carbines from South Korea. My Quality Arms is a Blue Sky import and is in like new condition.

Sam......

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My dad had one in Korea. Dad was small statured and liked the M1 Carbine better than the Garand. If he had any issues with it I don't remember him complaining about it in any way. A friend that is in the know on U.S. military arms say the biggest issue with Carbine reliability is having good magazines. He also says stick with the 15 round magazines. There are some more modern loads that I think should be quite capable of self defense/home defense/ranch rifle kinda chores. I don't think the M1 Carbine is as capable as a good AR style rifle but I surely wouldn't feel unarmed with an M1 of known reliability.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have seen a new production Chippawa (SP?) M1 style carbine chambered for 9MM Luger.

THAT is the one I want. WAY more affordable ammo. Not sure if they are still in production?

Virgil B.

IC B2

Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Blue Sky is a company that imported a ton of .30 Carbines from South Korea. My Quality Arms is a Blue Sky import and is in like new condition.

Blue Sky was importer during the 1970's out of Arlington Va. their import roll mark on side of barrel, these were high condition M-1 Carbines. Military collectors frown on import mark carbines as they bring less money but as shooters when you find one in high condition buy it. I've owned 6 carbines sold by CMP during the mid 2000's, off all the manufactures the Underwood barrels were the best shooters. Underwood button rifled the barrels so sought after by competitors. When CMP sold these carbines average cost $500-$600 and now bring $2500 with CMP paperwork. I've seen Blue Sky imports in the mid teens.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Mine is a Saginaw Steering Gear in really excellent condition with CMP paperwork. I also have an unopened spam can of ammo I bought at the same time. I tnink the days of spending a day browsing rifles at the CMP store are past.

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”

Patrick Henry
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by justin10mm
I just have my dad's Universal with a weaver 2.5X scope. It's unfortunately not very reliable, however it is surprisingly accurate. I've killed some big hogs, lots of varmints and a deer at 115 yards with it. I've got a lot of respect for those little. 30 caliber soft points. I wish I had a more reliable rifle.

It might be that the piston is grunged up and not hitting as quick as it should. The pistons in an M1 Carbine aren't as easy to remove as an AK or an SKS. They're only about an inch long and held in position by a nut that's staked into place. You need the wrench to remove the nut, and typically the nut is replaced with a new one anytime it's removed.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
With good mags, my old Iver Johnson M1 Carbine was 100% reliable.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by stevelyn
James River Armory is proud of their schitt too.

Contrary to popular legend the M1 Carbine and cartridge makes an effective combo.

Until it gets cold, then they are troublesome.

What is this "cold" you speak of?

Every .30 carbine I've shot below 30* F has failed to cycle consistently. I don't think it's the gun, but rather the cartridge, specifically the powders fueling it. H-110 is one of the common powders used in it.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
IC B3

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Never saw the appeal of the M1 Carbine. If I did, I wouldn't be giving FA my money.

Last edited by Gecko45; 02/27/23.

sic transit gloria
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have an Inland M1 mad by GM, Out of the 6.5 million M1's, Inland made the majority of them in their plant in Ohio.
Mine has the barrel stamped with the month and year I was born and only a few months before the War ended, so I doubt that mine saw any action in the Pacific.
Bought it from a collector and after a little research found it was most likely all original as all the numbers match and no sign of it being arsenal rebuilt. Paid ;$800 for it 10 year ago.
It goes well with my M1 Garrand, M14 and M16.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by jbmi; 02/27/23.

"The older I get, the better I was"
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
blue sky was an importer guns were in south korea.they were stamped so hard that stamp bent the barrel some

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 270cowboy, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 48 invisible), 2,554 guests, and 1,330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,710
Posts18,475,395
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.