Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 16 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 15 16
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Why does it seem to be commonly assumed that any old Joe or Jane can’t miss with a shotgun?

When I did maintenance on FS guns like I mentioned above they would occasionally bring in a shotgun along with the 375s.

The only ones I remember were 18” Mossberg pumps with either a bead or a peep and blade setup.

I fail to see why I could make a hit any faster with the same sighting arrangement on both guns just because one is a shotgun.

I also know from experience that a synthetic stocked 18” barrel shotgun kicks like dammit with 3” slugs, I’d say close to if not worse than a 375.

I stand by my recommendation for a rifle for serious use.

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Why does everyone assume they are putting slugs in their shotgun?

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Because buckshot sucks at any range where it has spread enough to provide any advantage in making hits.

I’ve dealt with bears shot with buckshot. It sucks terminally.

E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I knew a guy when I lived in Alaska that had a close up encounter with an inland grizzly. He was eating supper in his camp where he was panning for gold. He looked up and the bear was just a few yards away walking at him. He dumped six rounds of 357 magnum into the bear. Luckily for him he said the bear just turned and went into the trees. He also left the area immediately. Lucky man. Edk

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by TheKid
Because buckshot sucks at any range where it has spread enough to provide any advantage in making hits.

It might suck, it still a hit compared to miss from a 458 or whatever caliber is your favorite......and buckshot doesn't spread much at 10 yds......

There is a lot of what-ifs and maybes, and coulda dones in this thread.... and adamant opinions about the best solution, bottom line is use whatever you are comfortable with an fits your scenario.
There really is no one size/solution fits all for everyone.

Biggest thing is pay attention when in bear country.......!

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TheKid

I know an outfitter who considered 00 buckshot as less lethal bear control on grizzlies hanging around the camp.

After many years it caught up with him and one died from a pellet getting between ribs but those guys shot a lot of grizzlies with buckshot to chase them out of camp for many years before one died in camp.

A proper fitting rifle in about caliber like 30-06 and a decent bullet would make a lot more sense to me than any shotgun.

Last edited by JohnBurns; 03/03/23.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
While I don't have grizzlies, I do have far too many bears around our cabin.

I tend to stick with a 12 gauge with buckshot, slug, buckshot, slug, slug slug.

My reasoning, especially in summer with thick vegetation, I would hope the buckshot would spread out more because I may not have a lot of time to get fully centered up on target. Especially if he's charging.

By the 2nd shot (slug) , I would hope that I would be squared up and on target and able to put the 1 oz slug somewhere on it better.

I have patterned the gun and know that the modified choke I keep in it will keep most of the pellets on a disposable plate at almost 20 yards. Considering that bears are a lot larger than a paper plate, I'm not all that worried about having a bunch of pellets not connecting with fur somewhere. I'd be fine with a wall of buck, but realistically, a 16 inch spread at 25-30 yards is still likely going to connect with something. Hopefully if not, the slug will fly more true.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
we are lucky to receive some knowledge from some of these guides and people who live around these big bears . thank you ,Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Might be a dumb question but how would a 308 Winchester fare as far as Grizzly defense?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There was a "problem" Bear(Late Fall and the fhuqker was simply hungry on the way to den) on a porch,a few blocks away. After the dust settled,there had been (17) Smoothbore rounds fired,all of which were slugs or buckshot. Hint.

Scatterguns and their fodder are Feel Good Notions,for DUMB Fhuqkers that don't shoot and/or deal with Bears. This schit is never not fhuqking HILARIOUS. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Consider 0 or #1 buck for more pellets on target.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Lace them with Honey too,for MAXIMUM "effectiveness". Hint.

You dawdling Mall Rats are fhuqking HILARIOUS! Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
W
WMR Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by moosemike
Might be a dumb question but how would a 308 Winchester fare as far as Grizzly defense?

Doesn’t sound dumb at all. Put a box or so in the mag of an AR-10 or M1A and you’d have a giant killer. +P if you make ‘em Partitions or TTSXs.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Weiner,

Dangle a pic of "your" large frame AR or '14. Hint.

You Day DREAMING Brokedick Fhuqk. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.............

M
memtb Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by johnn
Why does everyone assume they are putting slugs in their shotgun?

Because most everyone that has minimal knowledge of ballistics, mass, sectional density, ect. would never use buckshot! It would probably be effective at absolute “point blank range”…… but, only on a head shot. On a large bear, at any distance……Penetration will suffer greatly! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
So am I the only one that watched the stuck in the rut youtube video? That pistol saved their lives.

Last edited by Calvin; 03/03/23.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by pabucktail
This bids fair to be epic. I can't wait for the obligatory "alternate slugs with buckshot" guy to pipe in, or the "I'd use a scenar because it smoked an elk." guy, or all the other ignorant options to pop up.

Yep, I just know that some wisened hunter will claim that just the whiff of a high BC bullet can kill a grizz. 😂

"Sometimes by losing a battle you find a new way to win the war."

Time to show your colors, MAGA.
W
WMR Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Calvin
So am I the only one that watched the stuck in the rut youtube video? That pistol saved their lives.

I saw that and was dumbfounded. Murphy’s Law at work. First Rule of Gunfighting: Bring a gun! They were rapidly running out of options.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by Calvin

Watched it at my brother's last week. Pretty crazy. We were wondering wtf was going on, I said catastrophic case failure. What were the odds of a blown primer getting bound up between the front screw and the action? Either way, I would have thought that family would have brought more than one rifle, considering their other videos.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Big Stick
There was a "problem" Bear(Late Fall and the fhuqker was simply hungry on the way to den) on a porch,a few blocks away. After the dust settled,there had been (17) Smoothbore rounds fired,all of which were slugs or buckshot. Hint.

Scatterguns and their fodder are Feel Good Notions,for DUMB Fhuqkers that don't shoot and/or deal with Bears. This schit is never not fhuqking HILARIOUS. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............

Maybe the dumb fugheries in yer neighborhood figgered that didn't need to aim said scattergun, either that or they are lousy shots.... 17 shots, and all complete misses! That's some funny schit, even from you.

Page 9 of 16 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 17CalFan, 222ND, 54 invisible), 2,599 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,584
Posts18,473,375
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.