Hop To
Page 12 of 16 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
Pete 53, thanks for the information. Now I understand, but as T Inman posted, it was more a maintenance problem than design problem. Frozen or very sluggish firing pins in super cold weather are not exclusive just to Remington 700s. For example, in 1990, my two hunting buddies and I went to Wyoming on a booked elk hunt, out of DuBois. It was October and very cold. There were seven of us dudes in camp. At night, everyone left their rifles in a separate tent where the saddles and tack were stored. Temperature at night got down to below 0°.

First day was "blue bird" weather... until afternoon when a snow storm rolled in. As everyone was out seeking the wily wapiti, our rifles got snow on them. The following morning, before we hunters left camp, the outfitter gathered us in the cook tent and said he wanted us all to check our rifles for any problems. We unloaded and of seven rifles, six of the firing pins were "frozen."

We all took out the bolts, stripped and cleaned them, and then without any oil, replaced them in our rifles. The firing pins then struck as they were supposed to strike.

I was carrying a Ruger 77, tang safety, in .338 Mag., one of my buddies was carrying a Ruger 77, tang safety, 7mm Mag., my other buddy was carrying a Rem. 700, .30-06, another hunter was carrying a Win.70. I do not know if it were pre or post '64. I think it was a .300 Win. Mag. Another Rem. 700 and another Win. 70 had "frozen" up. If I recall,the only rifle still working correctly was a Sako one of the hunters was carrying. Although I kept my rifles clean and knew how to strip the bolts and clean them, it never crossed my mind to do so. Thereafter I did so with my other rifles at home.

As an aside, of the seven hunters, we killed six bull elk on that trip. Two were killed by hunters using Remington 700s. That was great elk country.

FWIW.

L.W.

I'd say it was a design flaw. Rem 700 has an enclosed trigger, the M-70 an open trigger

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by moosemike
Might be a dumb question but how would a 308 Winchester fare as far as Grizzly defense?

I have no idea.

But with that being said, for a few years I had an M1a Bush Rifle. And I always thought that thing had two great career paths: one, a hog gun in the South and two, a camp gun in grizzly country. Load the 20-round mag with, I dunno, 180 Partitions or TSX’s and keep it handy. I had it set up with a ghost ring rear sight and a tritium front post. Badass rifle. It was my bump-in-the-night gun for my rural property for a few years there, but we don’t seem to get bears (30+ years) despite them being seen not far away. So I switched to an AR for that job and got my money back out of the M1a.

So while I don’t know diddly about killing big angry bears I gotta think a short handy .308 semi with 20 rounds of whupass on tap would not suck.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you miss, seems like the long gun will give you more room and more time to scream.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
the Remington 700`s we had were all clean and dry tell we went up the mountain those Remington 700`s filled up with moisture /water and froze slowly as we rode up Remington have a design problem. my Winchester model 70 pre 64 does not have that problem. most hunters have never been on a nasty cold snowy hunt riding mules like that in the mountains and i hope i never do again . > be glad you never have we never seen any elk either just bears and if you wanna use a Remington 700 in these conditions good luck.Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by pete53
the Remington 700`s we had were all clean and dry tell we went up the mountain those Remington 700`s filled up with moisture /water and froze slowly as we rode up Remington have a design problem. my Winchester model 70 pre 64 does not have that problem. most hunters have never been on a nasty cold snowy hunt riding mules like that in the mountains and i hope i never do again . > be glad you never have we never seen any elk either just bears and if you wanna use a Remington 700 in these conditions good luck.Pete53

Thus happens because Remington uses an enclosed trigger which will freeze up in such conditions. The Winchester M-70 has an open trigger which will not collect moisture and freeze up

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
For the past 52 years hunting in the Rockies, including horsepacking and backpacking, plus two DIY Alaskan moose/caribou float trips where we spent a total of 31 days floating the river, and where it rained more days then not, I've carried M700's most of the time. Never had a trigger or FP freeze up.

But had one malfunction....

When I was 14 my dad gave me a M700 to use. When I was 15 I pulled the trigger three times on a raghorn bull and nothing went bang. A friend of my dad's had come hunting with us and had worked for Remington as a machinist in the late 50's. He looked at my ammo with primer indents (I had picked up the rounds because I knew the adults weren't going to believe me otherwise) took my rifle and began to field strip the bolt. Dirt, pinecones, dead squirrels, etc came out as he pulled the FP out of the bolt body. A little Coleman gas to poured over the FP and into the bolt body and then he reassembled the bolt, and of course the rifle worked perfectly.

It's a lesson I have never forgot. Every year after hunting season I disassemble my rifles and clean triggers, bolts/FP's, feed rails, all of it. Then I squirt a bit of oil in the trigger and FP. Never had a mechanical malfunction since.

10-11 years ago I purchased a M700ADL early A series rifle that was in excellent shape. When I was inspecting the rifle the action screws appeared to be unblemished. I was thinking the stock had never been off the rifle. Bought the rifle and brought it home, pulled the stock and sure enough dirt, pine cones, dead squirrels fell out and the entire underside of the rifle was coated in a THICK coat of gunk. Couldn't even see the trigger housing and the little window that shows the sear engagement was entirely plugged.

First, that rifle was a AD looking for a happening, and second it was a malfunction of every other sort looking for a happening.

Most of these stories of firearms malfunctioning in the field, including the most popular bolt action rifle in America are generally a malfunction of firearm care.

Last edited by alpinecrick; 03/04/23.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by pete53

Thus happens because Remington uses an enclosed trigger which will freeze up in such conditions. The Winchester M-70 has an open trigger which will not collect moisture and freeze up

thanks for posting that

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Accuracy International AW's(Arctic Warfare) are enclosed triggers. I've schlepped 700's from hell to breakfast and seldom had to apply Sun Lotion. Hell...I even got one damp and cold,one time. Hint. LAUGHING!

I don't have a receiver that's shot out more than five barrels(7-08 all) and tend to flog on schit as a rule. The striker assemblies as cited,are typically a Goat Fhuqk,whether NIB or secondhand. I like Starting Fluid and it has a LIGHT lube in it,which I do NOT add to. Never an issue,but I'm only talking 100's of thousands of rounds. Hint.

That being said,I go through a fair number of follower springs,in 700's and Montuckies both. Hint................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Accuracy International AW's(Arctic Warfare) are enclosed triggers. I've schlepped 700's from hell to breakfast and seldom had to apply Sun Lotion. Hell...I even got one damp and cold,one time. Hint. LAUGHING!

I don't have a receiver that's shot out more than five barrels(7-08 all) and tend to flog on schit as a rule. The striker assemblies as cited,are typically a Goat Fhuqk,whether NIB or secondhand. I like Starting Fluid and it has a LIGHT lube in it,which I do NOT add to. Never an issue,but I'm only talking 100's of thousands of rounds. Hint.

That being said,I go through a fair number of follower springs,in 700's and Montuckies both. Hint................

Lighter fluid and paint thinner/mineral spirits are indeed a lubricant. A very, very light lubricant, but still a lubricant. I soak my trigger assemblies and and gun parts in paint thinner in a "parts basket and bucket" I made for that purpose.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Huh....I may have to try the lighter fluid thing, though dry graphite has never given me a reason to dislike it in extreme cold.

How many bears pictured thus far were shot in a DLP? I suspect none and thus they really don't have much bearing on this thread's purpose. I've rifle shot plenty of bears that had no clue I was around and haven't found any common hunting cartridge/bullet combo that didn't work.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I prefer Starter Fluid,because it's got some ass and leaves dick nothing behind. Hint.

LEGENDARY Status reinstated. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

If you are fhuqking DUMB enough to grab pics of a DLP,that's your fhuqking fault. Hint...................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by BigNate
So serious question for those who've actually shot big bears.

I see many people mention only penetration when discussing bear defense with little acknowledgment of wound channel.

The quickest deaths I've observed have been from the bullets that upset the greatest volume of vital tissue. Likewise, I've observed through and through penetration with a narrow wound channel resulting in death taking much longer.

Having not dealt with a grizzly charge, I'm speculating that large wound cavity is going to stop a charge faster than two small holes and less volume.

I carry a pistol always when hunting in griz territory, even in rifle season, one of us generally carry a short .308 when bow hunting, as well.

But like every other situation, bullet choice should be optimized for the situation. I'm just not sure that means giving up a large wound channel for penetration.

The ideal is expansion with lots of penetration. The reason is that the squared-on angle you get in a defensive shooting requires a bullet to track straight through some heavy muscle and some bone. Expansion is good because it wrecks stuff, but that means nothing if the bullet fails to reach stuff that matters. In my experience, if forced to pick between expansion or penetration, I’ll take penetration every time. That said, all my experience is with brown bears so maybe lighter built critters such as cougars, wolves, or leopards would be different. I’ve seen some really poor and some really spectacular results, which tends to color my thinking. I’ve never looked at a shotgun wound on a bear and been terribly impressed, but I regularly am impressed with what proper rifles do to them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Or just carry a Marlin 45-70 336 with 400 grain Keith style cast with GC’s, steel sights such as an open V or an open ghost ring aperture sight and call it good.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
P
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
P
I prefer Starter Fluid,because it's got some ass and leaves dick nothing behind. Hint.

If you are fhuqking DUMB enough to grab pics of a DLP,that's your fhuqking fault. Hint...................

FWIW, the 34mm 4-16x Arken is every bit of that dang low when mounted with their Low rings on a stock rail on a CTR. Thankfully the Arken "caps" are half rubber, and just barely squeezed on.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by pabucktail
The ideal is expansion with lots of penetration.

This is a tough thing to find as they are counter to each other.

I don't own big wheelguns, but tried a .45 LC, and although I could shoot it I wasn't as quick to get it on target and make good hits with it. So I carry auto's generally a 1911 .45ACP with Buffalo Bore ammo. I know I can get several hits in couple seconds. I'll get a 10mm 1911 when funds allow but it's been easy to put off. I feel even a 9mm is better than nothing, and two legged predators are just as likely so far.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

M
memtb Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Bugger
Or just carry a Marlin 45-70 336 with 400 grain Keith style cast with GC’s, steel sights such as an open V or an open ghost ring aperture sight and call it good.

I really like my ‘95 45-70…..but prefer a bit heavier bullet! I think that my 430’s offer a good blend of velocity and weight for penetration. If it were to be only used for “up close and personal” …..I’d go heavier than my 430’s. But, that’s just me! 😉 I do however, like 400’s in my handgun! 🤔
memtb

Last edited by memtb; 03/04/23.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't mind overpackin'.

45-70 + .480 Bisley SBH 4.62"/6.5".

I'd pack a tomahawk and a Bowie if they'd let me!

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

I wouldn't disagree with that, even if the troopers cleared it as a legal DLP but my point remains.

I was bluff charged by an interior griz last August. It happened too quick for me to get a shot off, even if it hadn't been a bluff. My heart was pumping so fast I have no idea if I could have hit it with a net gun, let alone the .300 Win I had.

No pics of course...though I did kill a bear a few days later that very possibly could have been the same one. He was just minding his own business that daywhistle...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by PeeDeeRiver

FWIW, the 34mm 4-16x Arken is every bit of that dang low when mounted with their Low rings on a stock rail on a CTR. Thankfully the Arken "caps" are half rubber, and just barely squeezed on.

Unfortunately,the Arken caps are THE schittiest in the business. Hint.

Just sayin'................

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by T_Inman

I wouldn't disagree with that, even if the troopers cleared it as a legal DLP but my point remains.

I was bluff charged by an interior griz last August. It happened too quick for me to get a shot off, even if it hadn't been a bluff. My heart was pumping so fast I have no idea if I could have hit it with a net gun, let alone the .300 Win I had.

No pics of course...though I did kill a bear a few days later that very possibly could have been the same one. He was just minding his own business that daywhistle...
I lived remote in AK, no DLPs existed, ever. I got run over by a bear on a charge. I couldn’t clear leather and line up fast enough. Ripped off a 320 gr into the dirt. For what ever reason the bear jumped to the side and gave me his second chance. BTW I fully believe a heavy 44 mag or larger at full tilt is about the $hittiest handgun I could use, especially if it’s a single action.

Page 12 of 16 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (1234, 17CalFan, 219 Wasp, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 12344mag, 53 invisible), 1,927 guests, and 1,154 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,873
Posts18,497,594
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.