H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Originally Posted by Heym06
]
Your interpretation of the campfire, doesn't equate to mine. Some of us are secure enough in ourselves, we don't feel the need, to brag with pictures, and such. But too each his own.

Found this thing while organizing some stuff. I forgot I finished in the Top 3 that year!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Good shooting to earn that. I still stand by my comment. Battue interperted his vision of the fire. I didn't agree, thats how it goes!

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
]
Your interpretation of the campfire, doesn't equate to mine. Some of us are secure enough in ourselves, we don't feel the need, to brag with pictures, and such. But too each his own.

Found this thing while organizing some stuff. I forgot I finished in the Top 3 that year!

What scope did you use, and how did you dial it from shot to shot?

Also, nobody who takes long shots brag about their screw ups or walks over the 500-700 yards where the animal was standing to check for blood.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by luv2safari
]

What scope did you use, and how did you dial it from shot to shot?

Dang, I knew he was pretty good at shooting clays, but I didn’t know he used a friggin rifle!

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by goalie
Originally Posted by Blackheart
That's what it is too. Bragging and searching for internet relevance/acceptance to folks you don't know, never will and wouldn't care to. Pitiful idiots.

That's rich coming from you.

🤡🤡🤡
I don't seek internet relevance, acceptance or fame. It isn't important.

You say one thing, but your behavior screams something else.
It wasn't me who posted pics of animals or lake houses that weren't mine and claimed they were.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It wasn't me who posted pics of animals or lake houses that weren't mine and claimed they were.

That makes two of us. But, unlike you, I have posted pics.

🤡🤡🤡

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

🤡🤡🤡
And you're a perpetual braggart. Your job, promotion, rich wife, lake house, the big money you make. The list is nearly endless. I don't need to impress you. Apparently you have a need.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

🤡🤡🤡
And you're a perpetual braggart. Your job, promotion, rich wife, lake house, the big money you make. The list is nearly endless. I don't need to impress you. Apparently you have a need.

Oh, but iI was never a famous gunsmith like you. I only know because you felt the need to tell us.

No pics of your work though.

🤡🤡😜

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

🤡🤡🤡

Oh, but iI was never a famous gunsmith like you. I only know because you felt the need to tell us.

No pics of your work though.

🤡🤡😜
Never claimed to be a famous gunsmith. Said my name was mentioned as co builder of a rifle in a magazine article and it was. Not only are you a proven liar but you exaggerate and make shyt up to suit your story of the day. Just two of many reasons I don't care to impress you.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by mathman
What about "I think it's set & I hope it doesn't forget" scopes?

Have to admit that is a good one!!!!

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The bigger question is how many holes will it cut...everytime?
I still stand by my comment. Battue interperted his vision of the fire. I didn't agree, thats how it goes!

Participate as you wish...However, there was little interpertation in how I see the the Fire...It was reality. Daily pics and come hunting season they will increase. New gun pics, target pics, camping pics, truck pics, fishing pics, Dog pics, vacation pics. Long written stories of an adventure. And any who tell about their repeated success will eventually be asked for some proof. Pics are not any different than some saying "I killed this many, I've killed this many with this, killed them with a bow, rifle, handgun.”, whatever. If you want to be truthful, writing up about success is little different than actually showing it..Blackheart for example has bragged on about how many Deer he has killed. Iron sight, scopes, etc, etc. He is no different than the rest of us with a bit of A+ personality. Makes no difference if he writes about it or shows pics. Both are a form of bragging. However, one of them is significantly more convincing.

Last edited by battue; 03/11/23.

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by battue
The bigger question is how many holes will it cut...everytime?
I still stand by my comment. Battue interperted his vision of the fire. I didn't agree, thats how it goes!

Participate as you wish...However, there was little interpertation in how I see the the Fire...It was reality. Daily pics and come hunting season they will increase. New gun pics, target pics, camping pics, truck pics, fishing pics, Dog pics, vacation pics. Long written stories of an adventure. And any who tell about their repeated success will eventually be asked for some proof. Pics are not any different than some saying "I killed this many, I've killed this many with this, killed them with a bow, rifle, handgun.”, whatever. If you want to be truthful, writing up about success is little different than actually showing it..Blackheart for example has bragged on about how many Deer he has killed. Iron sight, scopes, etc, etc. He is no different than the rest of us with a bit of A+ personality. Makes no difference if he writes about it or shows pics. Both are a form of bragging. However, one of them is significantly more convincing.

Yeah, I like how posting pics of trophy animals isn’t “bragging”, but posting pics of trophies is

LMFAO

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Here I thought this was the “Hunting Optics” forum. I love being able to dial the scope on my 6.5 creedmoor & reach out over 1,000 yards on targets but that isn’t hunting for me.

My range at home is 225 yards but I have an elk vitals sized rock at 500. I don’t own a center fire rifle that can’t consistently hit near the center of the rock with holdover. Will I win a target competition that way? - not hardly. Will I get to eat lots of delicious dead stuff- all day long.

I use a calibrated reticle that is good to 800 but simple holdover is all 90+% of hunters will ever need and is so much faster than dialing its more practical for hunting.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by specneeds
Here I thought this was the “Hunting Optics” forum. I love being able to dial the scope on my 6.5 creedmoor & reach out over 1,000 yards on targets but that isn’t hunting for me.

My range at home is 225 yards but I have an elk vitals sized rock at 500. I don’t own a center fire rifle that can’t consistently hit near the center of the rock with holdover. Will I win a target competition that way? - not hardly. Will I get to eat lots of delicious dead stuff- all day long.

I use a calibrated reticle that is good to 800 but simple holdover is all 90+% of hunters will ever need and is so much faster than dialing its more practical for hunting.

There's more than one way to hunt. Just because I'd have to cut down trees to shoot over 125 yards anywhere on the land I hunt doesn't mean dialing isn't a good options for others hunting elsewhere.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I think this whole thing is being presented backwards. The scopes *I* have that are truly “set and forget” are my Nightforce’s, Zeiss V4’s, etc. IE, the extremely mechanically precise, robust, and stable scopes that I dial to hell and back. A Leupold (say) where a guy needs to check sight-in every year before hunting season and make adjustments to get it back on zero is not set and forget! Where’s the “forget”?! It’s set and reset and reset and reset......

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
I think this whole thing is being presented backwards. The scopes *I* have that are truly “set and forget” are my Nightforce’s, Zeiss V4’s, etc. IE, the extremely mechanically precise, robust, and stable scopes that I dial to hell and back. A Leupold (say) where a guy needs to check sight-in every year before hunting season and make adjustments to get it back on zero is not set and forget! Where’s the “forget”?! It’s set and reset and reset and reset......
Like daylight saving time. You will always have to readjust your Leupold.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The new long range craze made possible by rangefinders is very technologically interesting & will allow practiced operators the ability to reach way out. That doesn’t change the effects of wind, the stability of rests in the field, or the likelihood of animals moving unexpectedly. Even here on the lunatic fringe most guys won’t shoot many animals past 500 yards.

I know a sniper “instructor” who sets up to shoot bears at 600 yards in steep mountains where recovery is maybe 50% but he gets to brag when he gets one. It’s not my idea of ethical hunting but he wants to be the alpha marksman. Your selection of your tools is your own business- buy a Ferrari to go to the grocery store or a 25x Nightforce to shoot Minnesota Whitetail bucks at 90 yards. But telling me they are necessary is silly.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by mathman
What about "I think it's set & I hope it doesn't forget" scopes?
^^^now that is signature line material par excellence^^^^

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
My scope needs changed a lot when I moved to the south.

Whitetails in the pines are like elk in the timber but I'm no longer sniping prairie dogs, deer, elk or antelope at distance as I once did.

300 yards across a hay field is as far as I'll be shooting any more so a scope with holdover dots has me covered.

I like to dial the 22 LR rifle but simplifying is working fine for me.

A rangefinder is still nice with the 22s or when I'm hunting a buddies property and I don't know the distances to landmarks across his fields.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Most of my experience tells me that the time from seeing the target animal to acquiring a steady sight picture seldom allows time for fiddle-f***ing around dialing scope turrets.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Even at the typical ranges where a guy would be dialing?

Seems like when I see game 600-800 yards away it usually either isn’t aware of me at all or doesn’t care.

Keep in mind even a guy inclined and equipped to dial can be walking around with their rifle set to MPBZ.... for example it’s as simple as dialing 6 clicks to be 1.5” high at 100 as just a standard, walkaround, “zero”. Does that make sense? So my scope is zero’d at 100 yards; if the dial is at zero, then bullet impacts are dead on at 100. But if I want to have the advantages of max point blank zero I can just click it up 6 clicks and be “zeroed” 1.5” high at 100. But my drop chart is still correct... because my scopes zero point is still the same (100 yards).

Sorry if I’m being annoying, I’ve tried to explain this in years past and failed so I’m trying to say it multiple ways here. In the context of this thread, when you trust your scope it ain’t no thang to dial it around like that. Whereas the set and forget guys get real spooky about it... “don’t touch that dial!”, haha.

I found a target out on my loading bench the other day from when I first got my NF SHV and built my 6.5 SAUM. I did a test with it where I zeroed at 100, fired a single shot, dialed it like crazy, then back to zero, fired a single shot, repeat 5 times. So, the group is at the bullseye at 100 yards, but each shot has a ton of dialing between it and the previous shot. The 5-shot group is around .7”. That’s the kind of mechanical precision/repeatability us “dialers” are talking about.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

259 members (450yukon, 1_deuce, 338reddog, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 300_savage, 42 invisible), 2,412 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,694
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.