Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
C
CBB Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Sure hate is a strong word.

I was supervising 50+ guys in a machine/fab shop it was fast paced and not that bad. The biggest problem was the level of entitlement felt by some of the guys and their laziness but for the most part I enjoyed it.

Then came the promotion to scheduling. I’m not a “computer guy” but understand our systems and processes so it seemed like a logical fit.

Bottom line, I really can’t stand it. Hate coming here every day and hate sitting there 75% of my day. Don’t really want to go back to babysitting adults either.

Constantly dreaming up ideas to do something different, start up some kind of business and work for myself.

But with a truck payment and mortgage on a home and 57 acres walking away from a sure paycheck every 2 weeks is a scary proposition but one I’m willing to make if I can find the right opportunity.

Just curious if many of you feel the same way or if you’re all loving your job?

Hunt...
GB1

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I work for myself love what I do but hate the employee aspect folks just don’t want to work period

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
At various times in life - yes, very much so.

Realized that I really liked my industry and a lot of people in the industry but that particular company/group of people were a bad combo for me.

I don't know what the density is in your area for your skill set but I've never been shy about moving onto another gig if I was burned out or unhappy. The fastest way to a raise is often a new W2 provider. Talking real raise, not the "we looked things over and you're getting 2% increase" bullchit.

So I've had jobs I've loathed but never really left the industry.

What usually gets me to a point where I dislike the job - boredom. Once I stop learning new things or working with people who can teach me things, I get bored and antsy. That or a place where there's zero desire to get/be better. As in "we're okay and we know we could be better but meh, too hard. Not going to do it" - I can't fathom not wanting to be the best you could be as an organization. A wise guy once said to me "Why be a Volkswagon when you CAN be a Ferrari" - from a personal development or company execution stand point - strive to be better. It's ok to not get there, stuff happens but not even trying - drives me nuts.

Me

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
Yep. Buuut....over 6 weeks of vacation a year plus whatever OT I take as comp time, makes it hard to start all over. In reality yes my job sucks, but it could always be worse. I make enough money to support my family and live a lifestyle I'm comfortable with.

9yrs until I retire...I'm down to single digits. Then I can go find a seasonal job I enjoy.

But they do say fortune favors the bold....

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Teal
At various times in life - yes, very much so.

Realized that I really liked my industry and a lot of people in the industry but that particular company/group of people were a bad combo for me.

I don't know what the density is in your area for your skill set but I've never been shy about moving onto another gig if I was burned out or unhappy. The fastest way to a raise is often a new W2 provider. Talking real raise, not the "we looked things over and you're getting 2% increase" bullchit.

So I've had jobs I've loathed but never really left the industry.

What usually gets me to a point where I dislike the job - boredom. Once I stop learning new things or working with people who can teach me things, I get bored and antsy. That or a place where there's zero desire to get/be better. As in "we're okay and we know we could be better but meh, too hard. Not going to do it" - I can't fathom not wanting to be the best you could be as an organization. A wise guy once said to me "Why be a Volkswagon when you CAN be a Ferrari" - from a personal development or company execution stand point - strive to be better. It's ok to not get there, stuff happens but not even trying - drives me nuts.

Pretty much what Teal said too

I am at the very end of my career, but quite a bit of it, I hated my job for one reason or another. Could be the company, my boss, or the location. I think a lot of that “hate” I felt was because I had to do what I had to do to survive. Maybe that’s why I always liked the movie Shawshank Redemption. Kinda felt like the character Andy at times.

It wasn’t an easy ride or career. I like where I’m at now, but think I am 2 years away from full retirement. For the second time. I can’t wait.

"Successful is leaving something in better shape than you inherited it in. Keep that in mind, son." Dad
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think many folks have a Love/Hate relationship with their job. Being retired, I sometimes hate having too much free time without a project to work on. You can't go from full bore working tons of hours to nothing and not feel antsy. I try to fill it with lots of Travel, Reading, working on Guns but Retirement too can be a Challenge, one I think I finally have a handle on. Sure beats Working!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nope. “Waiting for Direct Deposit” is the job I always dreamed of.

I always viewed work as what I did so my family and I could have a good life. Sounds like you’re doing well; don’t jump ship unless you have a solid plan in place.

What fresh Hell is this?
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Not hate. But coming up on 30 years this Friday, I’m tired. If i could afford it, I’d have retired 5 years ago. Still 2 years left on the mortgage. Maybe then, if my retirement savings come back from the chitt-show of the last year.

Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
We sold our family business a little over a year ago after a 46 year run. I had worked in the business for 41 of those years and was at the helm for the last 17. The last five years of dealing with employees was pure hell. When we had the opportunity to sell and the money was right I didn't even think twice about making that call. The only way I would consider another business today is if it could be solely run by myself or myself and a VERY trusted partner. It's just not worth the headaches.

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nope. I'm actually compensated well and enjoy my job right now. Hopefully they don't change it too much in the next 5-7 years before I retire.

IC B3

C
CBB Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Nope. “Waiting for Direct Deposit” is the job I always dreamed of.

I always viewed work as what I did so my family and I could have a good life. Sounds like you’re doing well; don’t jump ship unless you have a solid plan in place.

Yeah that’s kinda why I haven’t jumped yet. I’m not rich by any measure but do ok for my area with 4weeks of vaca. Just need to come up with a solid plan

Hunt...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Be happy that you hate it. Most people stay in a crappy situation because it's a comfortable crappy. It can also comfortably lead to failure.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I am sick of my job. Management constantly change processes and systems that waste our time doing things that make us less efficient and cost money we don't need to spend. I was planning on working till December but will probably retire sooner. They can have it and will realize they should have paid me more when I leave.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
No.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What would you leave for? “Not this” is not a job description.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by earlybrd
I work for myself love what I do but hate the employee aspect folks just don’t want to work period
I know what that’s like. Folks want to talk a good game when you go to hire them. But then the next thing you hear is "I can’t come in till 10 o’clock Tuesday cause the wife has a hair appointment early and there is nobody the drop the kid off at daycare." Something different every week.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I like my job, more specifically, the people I work with. IMO they matter much more than the job description.

The best part is, I'm at retirement age so if that ever changes, so be it, they'll get along fine without me.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I hated some aspects of it but it was really easy to deal with. I got out 10 years ago when the department started to go really woke. People tell me I got out at the right time and probably would be in a ton of trouble just for being old school. I thought I treated people with respect and no bullshit but I guess that isn't enough now days.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Remember Tom Sawyer, make it look like fun, someone may pay you to do it for you.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Nope. I’m retarded now, beginning to enjoy the hell out of not working

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

529 members (16penny, 16gage, 10ring1, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 58 invisible), 2,824 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,755
Posts18,514,800
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.