Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Even at the typical ranges where a guy would be dialing?

Seems like when I see game 600-800 yards away it usually either isn’t aware of me at all or doesn’t care.

Keep in mind even a guy inclined and equipped to dial can be walking around with their rifle set to MPBZ.... for example it’s as simple as dialing 6 clicks to be 1.5” high at 100 as just a standard, walkaround, “zero”. Does that make sense? So my scope is zero’d at 100 yards; if the dial is at zero, then bullet impacts are dead on at 100. But if I want to have the advantages of max point blank zero I can just click it up 6 clicks and be “zeroed” 1.5” high at 100. But my drop chart is still correct... because my scopes zero point is still the same (100 yards).

Sorry if I’m being annoying, I’ve tried to explain this in years past and failed so I’m trying to say it multiple ways here. In the context of this thread, when you trust your scope it ain’t no thang to dial it around like that. Whereas the set and forget guys get real spooky about it... “don’t touch that dial!”, haha.

I found a target out on my loading bench the other day from when I first got my NF SHV and built my 6.5 SAUM. I did a test with it where I zeroed at 100, fired a single shot, dialed it like crazy, then back to zero, fired a single shot, repeat 5 times. So, the group is at the bullseye at 100 yards, but each shot has a ton of dialing between it and the previous shot. The 5-shot group is around .7”. That’s the kind of mechanical precision/repeatability us “dialers” are talking about.

That’s wonderful. But I don’t need it and you can keep the extra weight, complexity, and bulkiness associated with those scopes. It just isn’t something that is useful for my hunting.

GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
That’s wonderful. But I don’t need it and you can keep the extra weight, complexity, and bulkiness associated with those scopes. It just isn’t something that is useful for my hunting.

Exactly. If someone enjoys trying to knock some paint off a metal gong at 1000 yards then great. If that puts lead in your pencil and keeps you excited about life then more power to you. But I have never had any interest in it. It holds no appeal to me whatsoever. I primarily use my scoped rifles for hunting and the longest shot I have had to take on a game animal in the last 25 years is about 225 yards. So I don't need one of these Hubble sized monstrosities with dialing knobs the size of an Aztec burial mound for my hunting purposes either.

So it gets pretty old reading these posts by elitist douche bags who act like anyone not using the same type scope they are and for the same purposes is some kind of know nothing goober. No, I just have no use for a long range dialing scope. How hard is that to comprehend?

When it comes to purchasing a truck I could buy a dump truck if I needed one. But I don't so I just stick with a regular pickup truck.

Finally, I always recheck the zero on my hunting rigs prior to season because it's just the responsible thing to do. But I have never had any problem with any of them staying zeroed from season to season.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Willto

Exactly. If someone enjoys trying to knock some paint off a metal gong at 1000 yards then great. If that puts lead in your pencil and keeps you excited about life then more power to you. But I have never had any interest in it. It holds no appeal to me whatsoever. I primarily use my scoped rifles for hunting and the longest shot I have had to take on a game animal in the last 25 years is about 225 yards. So I don't need one of these Hubble sized monstrosities with dialing knobs the size of an Aztec burial mound for my hunting purposes either.

So it gets pretty old reading these posts by elitist douche bags who act like anyone not using the same type scope they are and for the same purposes is some kind of know nothing goober. No, I just have no use for a long range dialing scope. How hard is that to comprehend?

When it comes to purchasing a truck I could buy a dump truck if I needed one. But I don't so I just stick with a regular pickup truck.

Finally, I always recheck the zero on my hunting rigs prior to season because it's just the responsible thing to do. But I have never had any problem with any of them staying zeroed from season to season.
Well said !!!!!!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Originally Posted by Heym06
]
Your interpretation of the campfire, doesn't equate to mine. Some of us are secure enough in ourselves, we don't feel the need, to brag with pictures, and such. But too each his own.

But apparently not secure enough to respond when you ass has been handed to you:

Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by Heym06
[quote=jorgeI]It's even worse. Approximately 75% of the military age population (18-24 is considered to be the "first round')is either too fat, too stupid or are on some kind of medication that disqualifies them. Now hold that thought.

Enter the chinese planned, financed and executed (via the cartels) fentanyl invasion into the US. Approximately 80-100K PER YEAR deaths as a results and the age bracket? 18-45. Guess what age group is considered for military service? If you don't think they are being targeted, you must be pro-Ukraine war (aka a moron).

That said, I'm not concerned with the Russians AT ALL. Now the chinese is an entirely different issue.
I'm guessing you pulled the 75% number, from between your cheeks!

I reckon my gluteal cleft has at least 50 IQ points over your pointy head.. HINT: the blue outlined words below are links to articles you might find interesting (sorry limited pictures)

recruits

my ass
heymthe retard
doesyourbuttholehurtyet?

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Have you ever shot at a target from 500 to 1500 yards?
When I hit the range I am continually adjusting up and down, with both the front and rear sights- but then, I rarely shoot at targets wit a scope! :>)
Cat
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I don't dial because I have.Leupolds on my Big Game rifles. They don't adjust as advertised so I wouldn't count on them to dial. I just aim high on the deer if they are too far to hold dead on. I have been successfup doing Kentucky windage. I did swap one Leupold out this year for a.Trijicon. anxious to see how it does.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I did the same thing. I'm real happy with my Trijicon Credo.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Humility is one of the finest qualities a man can possess.

Scorn for others is rarely seen by most as a positive quality.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Even at the typical ranges where a guy would be dialing?

Seems like when I see game 600-800 yards away it usually either isn’t aware of me at all or doesn’t care.

Keep in mind even a guy inclined and equipped to dial can be walking around with their rifle set to MPBZ.... for example it’s as simple as dialing 6 clicks to be 1.5” high at 100 as just a standard, walkaround, “zero”. Does that make sense? So my scope is zero’d at 100 yards; if the dial is at zero, then bullet impacts are dead on at 100. But if I want to have the advantages of max point blank zero I can just click it up 6 clicks and be “zeroed” 1.5” high at 100. But my drop chart is still correct... because my scopes zero point is still the same (100 yards).

Sorry if I’m being annoying, I’ve tried to explain this in years past and failed so I’m trying to say it multiple ways here. In the context of this thread, when you trust your scope it ain’t no thang to dial it around like that. Whereas the set and forget guys get real spooky about it... “don’t touch that dial!”, haha.

I found a target out on my loading bench the other day from when I first got my NF SHV and built my 6.5 SAUM. I did a test with it where I zeroed at 100, fired a single shot, dialed it like crazy, then back to zero, fired a single shot, repeat 5 times. So, the group is at the bullseye at 100 yards, but each shot has a ton of dialing between it and the previous shot. The 5-shot group is around .7”. That’s the kind of mechanical precision/repeatability us “dialers” are talking about.

A lot of these guys don't get that or don't want to get that Jeff. They even get pissy when you show them a good reasonably priced scope and hunting rifle that will work much better than most Leupolds, but cost far less. They just don't want to hear it.

Set your zero, so it's actually "zeroed":

Then test it at range, using the ballistic plex reticle:

That is the kind of "set and forget" I like in a hunting rifle. Kentucky windage was cool when I was a kid, but they have good reticles these days that take the guess work out of it. You just have to confirm them by using them and setting them up properly.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Good illustration of what a ballistic plex reticle is capable of! I’ve used a VX Leupold of one kind or another so equipped since they came out years ago, and in spite of having several very reliable “dialing” type scopes I find this type reticle much faster and easier to use while hunting. Easy enough to use a bit of hold over or under for the in between ranges.

Last edited by John55; 03/15/23.
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Hunters who sight in at 200+ & have familiar, practiced ballistic reticles have the ability to make instantaneous longer range shots. Are they always required on animals at 400+ yards? Not really. The last elk I tried to find antlers on at 490 yards didn’t know I was there - she was huge & looked delicious but my cow tag wasn’t good on that side of the highway. The cows before that gave me much less time.

I use a flat shooting 300 Weatherby sighted in at 225 yards. This puts my hash marks on perfectly out to 800 yards on the Conquest 3-15x50 at 15 power. But for everything under 350 yards that is a simple point & shoot.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

174 members (2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 45_100, 32 invisible), 2,203 guests, and 1,042 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,704
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.