Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by IZH27
Originally Posted by krp
Originally Posted by krp
KRP.

Beyond personal experience and your personal beliefs upon what authority do you defend what you believe?

So you disregard any personal experience reading about Jesus and his remarkable life, resurrection. Rely completely on the authority of a suit and tie at the pulpit to tell you what to believe.

Kent
No. I rely on the authority of scripture.

Anything else is so subjective that it cannot be trusted. Trisha clearly teaches. Our hearts are deceptive. When we rely on the unctuous nature of our own thoughts and experiencese we are quickly flirting with idolatry.

One of the most fascinating of things that I find about these threads is how very little reference there is to the authority of scripture. If there’s nobody authority, then personal experience and differing whims that are in conflict with each other have equal value and validity and truth. That’s totally illogical. yet, that’s where most of the post on these threads take us.

So, other than your personal opinion and personal experience upon quite authority do you base your beliefs?

Your interpretation of scripture... vs mine.

Your version vs a Mormons, Catholics, Baptists... atheists

I long ago shed the shield and sword of chapter and verse to attack my fellow man... God's plan for every man is his.

Kent

So you would hold the position that there are different truths for different people, and that the God who is supposed to be a God of one truth through the Holy Spirit gives different people different truths?

You keep talking about the problem of God giving different truths to different people if we try to allow the Holy Spirit to guide us. Give one example please. It's absolutely a non-argument.

GB1

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Truth

However, it’s quite obvious that what you just said, has very very meaning, based on the variety of post on this thread, and the others like it. That being the case, it’s impossible to have a meaningful conversation went white one person says about a particular word or topic has totally different meeting to three other people that are engaged in the same conversation.

You don't add any specific biblical substance to these discussions.

Kent

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by KillerBee
I am wondering if I can start a thread about the teaching of Jesus that will not be pounced on by the people that are posting here only to knock down religion in general.
Maybe I should try, because I do really want to learn, without atheists getting involved.KB

Sounds good, but you most likely cannot stop our Aussie friends...

Illegitimi non carborundum

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
I said to all that Christians cannot prove the scriptures in God the Bible.

So why believe it? There's so much immorality in the bible that it's not a good aspiration to lead your life against anyway.

Because I have faith only....That is all I have....

“Faith is the substance of things hoped for and the evidence of things not seen.” - Paul (Hebrews 11:1), circa 63 AD.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Why do people, Christians, quibble so much about Bible interpretation?

There are good and decent and kind and loving and pure and selfless and considerate and compassionate Believers walking amongst us who walk the walk. The Holy Spirit, regardless of denomination or creed, is the divine spark that makes these people who they are.

Let's get real..... if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck..... it is a duck.... if you are honest with yourself about right vs wrong and choose what is right in your life then you have found the Way. Regardless of the minutiae (which can become dogma) of Bible interpretation, salvation is granted to those with pure hearts.

OH AND BTW, flame on.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am wondering if I can start a thread about the teaching of Jesus that will not be pounced on by the people that are posting here only to knock down religion in general.
Maybe I should try, because I do really want to learn, without atheists getting involved.KB

That's what I am thinking, trolls are in it to annoy.

KB

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by OldSchool_BestSchool

There are good and decent and kind and loving and pure and selfless and considerate and compassionate Believers walking amongst us who walk the walk. The Holy Spirit, regardless of denomination or creed, is the divine spark that makes these people who they are.

Let's get real..... if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck..... it is a duck.... if you are honest with yourself about right vs wrong and choose what is right in your life then you have found the Way. Regardless of the minutiae (which can become dogma) of Bible interpretation, salvation is granted to those with pure hearts.

OH AND BTW, flame on.

The Holy Spirit is also called The Spirit of Truth. As you say, if you are honest about what is right VS wrong and choose right, I believe you are following the guidance of The Holy Spirit.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
P.S. Those particular "friends" faintly feign interest. However, their repeatedly demonstrated agenda (simply review the previous threads) is to attack and disrupt under the silly guise of "questioning and discussion". Solution: totally ignore their tactics/posts so their quest will hunger, wither and die due to attention-deficit disorder.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Starman
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
I said to all that Christians cannot prove the scriptures in God the Bible.

So why believe it? There's so much immorality in the bible that it's not a good aspiration to lead your life against anyway.

Perhaps they believe primitive pagan style human sacrifice has magic blood that will
attain them eternal life...Catholics are convinced that they are eating the 'transubmutated'
flesh of Christ at mass.

May as well buy Merlin's alchemy and Arthur's magic
sword/rule by divine right while they are at it.

Still hating on Christians...especially Catholics, you are so vicious and ruthless....it is called Transubstantiation...

The new Pope, Pope Francis I – unlike his predecessors – has not directly advocated the doctrine of Transubstantiation. Keeping to his South American theological roots, Pope Francis has called for Catholics to consider the Eucharist as an encounter with Christ – an occasion where Christ makes himself available to the community through an act of remembrance. It's an opportunity to be transformed to carry out the work of Christ. The focus here is not on dogma, but the action that flows from it. This is very different from the hard-core theological dogma of the Roman Catholic Church.

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
When I think about the man Jesus, I think about what he didn't do as much as what he did.

He didn't write anything, there is a reason and it can be debated.

He came as a servant... not as a king/master.

He didn't build a building/temple for people to come to him... he traveled through the people. And that's how the first church continued, the word traveled through people.

Kent

IC B3

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O

That's what I am thinking, trolls are in it to annoy. Satan is in it to Deceive...

Fixt...

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by RHClark
Originally Posted by OldSchool_BestSchool

OH AND BTW, flame on.

The Holy Spirit is also called The Spirit of Truth. As you say, if you are honest about what is right VS wrong and choose right, I believe you are following the guidance of The Holy Spirit.

Yep. Moreover the Beatitudes are often overlooked..... why is that?

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
There's no money in the Beatitudes, it doesn't set the righteous first in line.

Kent

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Scott F
You guy want to argue I will give you a little something written in 325. We say it everymorning and night.

I believe in one God, Father Almighty, Creator of heaven and earth, and of all things visible and invisible.

And in one Lord Jesus Christ, the only-begotten Son of God, begotten of the Father before all ages; Light of Light, true God of true God, begotten, not created, of one essence with the Father through Whom all things were made. Who for us men and for our salvation came down from heaven and was incarnate of the Holy Spirit and the Virgin Mary and became man. He was crucified for us under Pontius Pilate, and suffered and was buried; And He rose on the third day, according to the Scriptures. He ascended into heaven and is seated at the right hand of the Father; And He will come again with glory to judge the living and dead. His kingdom shall have no end.

And in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the Creator of life, Who proceeds from the Father, Who together with the Father and the Son is worshipped and glorified, Who spoke through the prophets.

In one, holy, catholic, and apostolic Church.

I confess one baptism for the forgiveness of sins.

I look for the resurrection of the dead, and the life of the age to come.

Amen.

Not tell me how bad I am for even thinking it let alone saying it. Go ahead, you can't hurt my feelings. :>)

We corporately confess this nearly every Sunday morning. Absolutely beautiful to confess these truths in solidarity with many Christian’s who have done the same for almost 2k years.

So do we.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by krp
Truth

However, it’s quite obvious that what you just said, has very very meaning, based on the variety of post on this thread, and the others like it. That being the case, it’s impossible to have a meaningful conversation went white one person says about a particular word or topic has totally different meeting to three other people that are engaged in the same conversation.

You don't add any specific biblical substance to these discussions.

Kent

What would complete me to enter into a conversation with you concerning the specific historical teachings of scripture when you emphasize emphasize personal knowledge?

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by krp
Originally Posted by krp
KRP.

Beyond personal experience and your personal beliefs upon what authority do you defend what you believe?

So you disregard any personal experience reading about Jesus and his remarkable life, resurrection. Rely completely on the authority of a suit and tie at the pulpit to tell you what to believe.

Kent

Anything else is so subjective that it cannot be trusted. Trisha clearly teaches. Our hearts are deceptive. When we rely on the unctuous nature of our own thoughts and experiencese we are quickly flirting with idolatry.

One of the most fascinating of things that I find about these threads is how very little reference there is to the authority of scripture. If there’s nobody authority, then personal experience and differing whims that are in conflict with each other have equal value and validity and truth. That’s totally illogical. yet, that’s where most of the post on these threads take us.

So, other than your personal opinion and personal experience upon quite authority do you base your beliefs?

I long ago shed the shield and sword of chapter and verse to attack my fellow man... God's plan for every man is his.

Kent

So you would hold the position that there are different truths for different people, and that the God who is supposed to be a God of one truth through the Holy Spirit gives different people different truths?

You keep talking about the problem of God giving different truths to different people if we try to allow the Holy Spirit to guide us. Give one example please. It's absolutely a non-argument.

I hope that KRP doesn’t mind and I hope that he will correct me if I am not interpreting what he said properly.

Yesterday I asked him(not verbatim) if he believed that the body and souls would be reunited in the resurrection. His answer was no. The influence that would lead a person to that conclusion isn’t new being rooted in Platonic philosophy. Jesus condemned the Sadducee’s for their denial of the resurrection.

A denial of the resurrection of the body and the body and soul being reunited in antithetical to the teachings of scripture and historical traditions of the faith. There is absolutely no way that the Holy Spirit would teach or inspire a person to believe and teach that.

That’s one example. If that doesn’t directly answer your question I’d be more than happy to give other examples.

Last edited by IZH27; 03/16/23.
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by krp
Originally Posted by krp
KRP.

Kent

Kent

I hope that KRP doesn’t mind and I hope that he will correct me if I am not interpreting what he said properly.

Yesterday I asked him(not verbatim) if he believed that the body and souls would be reunited in the resurrection. His answer was no. The influence that would lead a person to that conclusion isn’t new being rooted in Platonic philosophy. Jesus condemned the Sadducee’s for their denial of the resurrection.

A denial of the resurrection of the body and the body and soul being reunited in antithetical to the teachings of scripture and historical traditions of the faith. There is absolutely no way that the Holy Spirit would teach or inspire a person to believe and teach that.

That’s one example. If that doesn’t directly answer your question I’d be more than happy to give other examples.

What I think is that helping a person understand scripture or properly teach would not be the main job of the Holy Spirit. You guys seem to be arguing over scripture and who it was that was led by the Spirit and which one wasn't. I wouldn't think winning an argument would be the main job of the Holy Spirit either.

I'll just say it like this. The Holy Spirit, henceforth referred to as HS, dwells inside a believer to lead them into truth. HS is also referred in scripture as The Spirit of Truth. His least job would be bible study. You need truthful guidance every minute of every day. He is there to guide you to make the decisions that produce fruit in your life. That fruit is defined in scripture as love, joy, peace, goodness, gentleness, meekness and temperance, if my memory serves. I could have missed one.

It's really simple. If you examine your life in truth, you know steps you need to take or things you need to do to have those desirable qualities in your life. If you do those things that the Spirit of Truth is quietly whispering to you, you will grow those fruits. Here's the clincher though, you don't get the love, joy, etc. because you did a good job and reached your goals. You never reach all your goals. You get that fruit in your life by knowing you are trying. by trying to be the kind of person you want to be, a person you like. That would be called walking in the Spirit.

Because you are judging yourself every minute of every day, you need the grace God gives in the Gospel. You need the scriptures to show you that God can work with any idiot that's willing.

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by There_Ya_Go
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by There_Ya_Go
[quote=DBT]

Can't speak for CCCC, but I have no doubt as to your sincerity or thoughtfulness. I also have no doubt that you are deliberately disruptive.

You are wrong. Your remark is designed to dismiss and discourage what you see as dissent. If you don"t like what is said, just ignore it.

I stand corrected. You are neither thoughtful nor sincere.

I'll correct you again: you are still wrong. It must be a habit. A habit driven by your sense of vulnerability, you feel your faith is under attack .

That is proven by your lack of rational discussion, instead you focus
your frustration onto me

It is you who is insincere and thoughtless in your inability or unwillingness to defend your faith rationally. You are not alone, it's typical for those in your position.

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT
The bible does not condemn slavery, Jesus for instance instructs slaves to obey their masters.

Wrong. That was Paul that said that. He was always sliding something in that contradicted Jesus.

We have nothing from Jesus, whatever is written in the new testament purports to speak on behalf of Jesus and God;

''Fathers, do not provoke your children to wrath; instead, bring them up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord. 5 Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear and sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ. 6And do this not only to please them while they are watching, but as servants of Christ, doing the will of God from your heart.
Wrong. Paul went off the reservation and came up with a bunch of stuff Jesus never said at the time he (Jesus) was walking the earth. Every church has a Paul that comes in and tries to usurp authority, and almost always strays (purposely) away from Jesus' message.

Paul was the great promoter of christianity, his works are included in the new testament, which some consider to be the inspired word of God. Now you are saying that Paul was wrong. Yet we have no condemnation of Slavery by any of the bible's authors, there is no condemnation of slavery in the bible, so if Paul was wrong, what else is wrong?
I don't care what Paul said or for that matter what anyone else says about slavery. Jesus never endorsed slavery in any of his recorded teachings.

When you start quoting Paul you could just as well quote Benny Hinn, Jimmy Swaggart, Kenneth Copeland, or Joel Osteen.

Paul spoke on behalf of the Jesus he believed in through his conversion to Christianity on the road to Damascus.

As did the authors of Mark, Matt, Peter and Johns revelation, etc.

As it happens that the books of the new testament are Christian canon, your cherry picking is irrelevant, and it remains that there is no condemnation of slavery in the new or old testament and the words of Paul tacidly condone the practice. Being Christian canon, Paul speaks on behalf of Christianity, Jesus and the biblical version of God.

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Orion2000

That's what I am thinking, trolls are in it to annoy. Satan is in it to Deceive...

Fixt...

To question is not to deceive, but to enlighten. Rather than 'satanic,' it is a positive thing.

It is something you all do when it comes to other religions and other faiths and extraordinary claims, but neglect to do when it comes to your own.

That is the truth, and deep down you know it.

Page 20 of 108 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 107 108

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (22magnut, 257Bob, 257man, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 54 invisible), 1,834 guests, and 1,155 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,242
Posts18,524,949
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.