Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Whiptail
Originally Posted by jfw042
I propose that anyone considering hunting elk in a state other than the one they reside in, instead send a check for $1000.00 to that states department of revenue, order a cut & wrapped beef from your local rancher & take your wife on a decent vacation. You will have more money in your pocket & more, much higher quality, table fare. As a resident of an out of state destination hunting state, I would be behind adopting something similar to what Alaska requires for certain species, that being out of state residents can only hunt with a licensed outfitter.

And I support selling off 99.9% of the Federal land in Montana to the highest bidder.

So you have the schidt of paying high prices for a lease to take your kid hunting?

Typical moron Texan.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I propose that anyone considering hunting elk in a state other than the one they reside in, instead send a check for $1000.00 to that states department of revenue, order a cut & wrapped beef from your local rancher & take your wife on a decent vacation. You will have more money in your pocket & more, much higher quality, table fare. As a resident of an out of state destination hunting state, I would be behind adopting something similar to what Alaska requires for certain species, that being out of state residents can only hunt with a licensed outfitter.

And I support selling off 99.9% of the Federal land in Montana to the highest bidder.

The proposals for that entail selling it or turning to over to the states. Some would sell off lands and some states would keep most intact.
Guess who gets make all the hunting laws then, states' land and wildlife.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I expect crowds & wolves will eventually stop my annual elk hunt in CO maybe even before my goal of 70 in 7 seasons. I’ve had great experiences & success & was hoping my grandkids would enjoy the same.

I plan to shoot every big coyote I see now that the state has forced me to buy a small game license. I’ll encourage the same for others in my group & friends. Everyone knows we hunters from CA aren’t great at game identifying but we know coyotes in CO are much bigger than ours.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
The last thing I would due while elk hunting is shoot coyotes.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
In a few years, all you will see is those big Coyotes.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by EdM

Well, not if you'd filled your tag already.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by saddlesore
For every NR that does not want to pay $761 there are ten more in back of him that will pay $1000. Colorado is the only state that has unlimited OTC elk tags

CPW is not going to give up that cash cow.

Their 2022 herd counts show more elk than2021, but you see less.They will keep inflating those numbers so NR's will think there is an elk behind every tree so they will keep buying those tags.

That is why residents call CPW the Department of Tourism. It is the only thing they are promoting with those falsely inflated numbers.

"I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country." by J23
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by EdM

Well, not if you'd filled your tag already.

No, even then, I headed home. A camp outside Leadville was a no go for coyotes. I wanted down...

Conduct is the best proof of character.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
C'mon Ed, at least break out the fly rod and live a little!

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Heck yeah. Some of my favorite times in camp are goofing around after I’m tagged out. I literally won’t go home early if I was getting paid to, I’m on vacation when I’m in camp and work is the last place I want to go back to.

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by TheKid
Heck yeah. Some of my favorite times in camp are goofing around after I’m tagged out. I literally won’t go home early if I was getting paid to, I’m on vacation when I’m in camp and work is the last place I want to go back to.

My sentiments exactly. I've even said that in camp, "do what you want, but I'm on vacation here."

And then go grill a big fat vacation-sized steak on the fire, or some fresh cutthroat trout.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
For me, that's not why I elk hunt...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by TheKid

My sentiments exactly. I've even said that in camp, "do what you want, but I'm on vacation here."

And then go grill a big fat vacation-sized steak on the fire, or some fresh cutthroat trout.

Yep and yep.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
b, you're welcome in my camp any time. Just remember, I'm on vacation!!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The following just came into my email.
"According to Montana FWP, the number of resident hunters in Montana has dropped 7 percent in the last decade, while non-resident hunters have jumped 80 percent in the same time frame.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by wytex

The proposals for that entail selling it or turning to over to the states. Some would sell off lands and some states would keep most intact.
Guess who gets make all the hunting laws then, states' land and wildlife.
Much public land can't be use productively, usually because of a lack of water or terrain unsuitable for any commercial use. It's ideal for anyone wanting their own piece of paradise. The ultra-wealthy will bid very high prices for it then fence it off. We lose all access and paradise is lost for the other 99.9% of our citizens. Privatizing public land is one of the stupidest things we could do.
Yeah, sell it off, idiots.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It was just shy of $1500 for my Montana deal this year.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Much public land can't be use productively, usually because of a lack of water or terrain unsuitable for any commercial use. It's ideal for anyone wanting their own piece of paradise. The ultra-wealthy will bid very high prices for it then fence it off. We lose all access and paradise is lost for the other 99.9% of our citizens. Privatizing public land is one of the stupidest things we could do.
Yeah, sell it off, idiots.

I don't know about public land out west but back east, the national forests were mostly once privately-owned. The federal government bought up land for the national forests, and the sellers were happy to sell the least valuable land but held on to all the good farmland.

But I agree, selling off our public lands would be about the stupidest thing we could do. People think tags are expensive, add trespass fees to that, if you could find a place that would let you hunt. These days, the people with enough money to buy huge tracts of land aren't exactly hunter-friendly. If you want to see what hunting would look like on all private land, look to Europe.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
In the west, all the land was originally federal. They gave much of it away to homesteaders through the Homestead Act and other programs, not to mention the railroads. The lack of foresight in congress with their checkerboard railroad land grants is the reason for the corners trespassing situation today in WY and other states.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
In the west, all the land was originally federal. They gave much of it away to homesteaders through the Homestead Act and other programs, not to mention the railroads. The lack of foresight in congress with their checkerboard railroad land grants is the reason for the corners trespassing situation today in WY and other states.

What we see here is the homesteader established their land along the bottoms. Then eventually bought other homesteaders out that could not make it. Now they control all the bottom land which locks up all the mountainous country in back of them,giving no access

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

86 members (257 mag, Beagler410, 35, badwolf, BABore, 9 invisible), 1,419 guests, and 933 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,061
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.