Hop To
Page 9 of 12 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by saddlesore
To be clear. I don't hate Non residents. In the the past many years I have taken quite a few, introduced them to elk hunting and have gotten them elk. Taught them how to pack elk and care for their mount . A few from this forum even. I have supplied them with with mules to ride, mules to pack out their elk, tents, camp gear at no charge, nor did I expect any. My cost in keeping each mule alone for a year totals more than any nonresident elk license cost. I pay about $1000 a year for hay and grain alone for each mule. That doesn't count the riding saddles, pack saddles, pads, britching, breast collars,bridles, hobbles, high lines, shoeing, truck and trailer big enough to haul everything.

Yet every year I have nonresident hunters, complete strangers, that didn't think about how to get their elk out, come and knock on my tent pole or camper asking me to pack out their elk out. They think I should do it for nothing..Never mind that it will take a day out my hunting. If they offer me money and I tell them I am not a licensed outfitter and the fine for doing so is huge to me.They don't believe me and go away mad, cussing out the resident. The going rate now is about $600 per elk.

Colorado treats their residents worse than any other western states in terms of elk quotas for residents vs nonresidents. Right now, IMO Colorado is over carrying capacity with hunters,. The elk herds a cannot sustain the unlimited OTC tags that are being sold, and a lot of the draw tags. Even archery seasons are over hunted just because of the hunting pressure. We are seeing success rates dwindling, but CPW will not give up their cash cows. More and more money comes in,but goes to salaries and parks and less to wildlife management.

Don't worry saddlesore the wolves you got will thin the elk and nrs out, then maybe they can take out some of the granolas too..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
GB1

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
Originally Posted by ihookem
You a good man Saddlestore!! And the resident should have some respect. As for me , we have hunters come from all over to grouse hunt in northern Wis. They are more than welcome as far as I am concerned. Those grouse hunters from the south are darn serious. They spend thousands to come here. I ask if they saw any deer, I tell them where I saw some grouse.

Only a fool would hunt ruffs when you could hunt sharptail,huns, and chukar...

It's all for sport Jackson. These guys from Tennessee and Misourri can be her in 8 hrs. and have fun doing it. DOnt know why anyone would call someone a fool for hunting ruffed grouse. So anyone here who has ever hunted Ruffed Grouse is a fool.. However, if they all did coem out west to hunt Sharptails, Huns and Chuckar from out of state,, you would complain about that too. You could not have made my point any better .

Last edited by ihookem; 03/18/23.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
You a good man Saddlestore!! And the resident should have some respect. As for me , we have hunters come from all over to grouse hunt in northern Wis. They are more than welcome as far as I am concerned. Those grouse hunters from the south are darn serious. They spend thousands to come here. I ask if they saw any deer, I tell them where I saw some grouse.

Or someone who doesn't live where there are sharptail, huns, and chukar.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Smokepole, I have onky hunted Ruffed grouse. Are they others as fast as the Ruffed? When I was a kid, I could hit about 1/3. Now that I am 60 , I hit about 1 in 10. They are just too fast for me.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'm not sure which is faster, but I'm like you, ruffed grouse are plenty fast and hard to hit for me.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Smokepole, I have onky hunted Ruffed grouse. Are they others as fast as the Ruffed? When I was a kid, I could hit about 1/3. Now that I am 60 , I hit about 1 in 10. They are just too fast for me.

Chukar and huns are just as fast, though there rarely is a need to shoot through brush like there often is with ruffeds.

I hunt all these and more. I am not afraid to travel....

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Huns live in moderately steep country. For the most part, they aren't bad to hunt. Chukkars, however, live in some hellacious country. You'd better be in shape to hunt those. They're hard to hit when you're dragging your tongue in the dirt.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

It's all for sport Jackson. These guys from Tennessee and Misourri can be her in 8 hrs. and have fun doing it. DOnt know why anyone would call someone a fool for hunting ruffed grouse. So anyone here who has ever hunted Ruffed Grouse is a fool.. However, if they all did coem out west to hunt Sharptails, Huns and Chuckar from out of state,, you would complain about that too. You could not have made my point any better .

Cool yer jets, it was a joke...lighten up Francis. And it's spelled CHUKAR, not chuckar, not chukker, chukkar, chuckker. It's Chukar Partridge (alectoris chukar)

And to polesmoker, he said the hunters "come from all over", indicating they travel there to hunt ruffed grouse. They're nuts. If'n one is going to travel for birds, go after something worth it. (Again, just a joke for the slow-on-the-uptake boomers)

I take no issue with out of state hunters, however those out of state hunters have zero room to complain or whine....me included (as I hunt different states). You either play by their rules or don't.

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 03/18/23.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
And to polesmoker, he said the hunters "come from all over", indicating they travel there to hunt ruffed grouse. They're nuts. If'n one is going to travel for birds, go after something worth it. (Again, just a joke for the slow-on-the-uptake boomers)

Lots of people just like to hunt ruffed grouse, for slow on the uptake people of any age.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by smokepole

Lots of people just like to hunt ruffed grouse, for slow on the uptake people of any age.

I know. It was a joke.

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I know. And not a very good one.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I know. And not a very good one.

I will make sure to run all my posts through you first for approval.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
That will result in a huge improvement in the quality of your posts, good thinking.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
That will result in a huge improvement in the quality of your posts, good thinking.

Are you going to be able to approve of my posts this weekend or will you be polesmoking at the rendezvous?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Are you going to be able to approve of my posts this weekend or will you be polesmoking at the rendezvous?

I don't know of any rendezvouses, you'll need to polesmoke without me. You seem infatuated with the concept.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

I don't know of any rendezvouses, you'll need to polesmoke without me. You seem infatuated with the concept.

Not going to hang with yer bha pards? Surprising..........

So you can't name a more effective advocate for public and roadless lands than BHA, got it.

Compared to that big picture issue, a single disrupted buffalo hunt is but a transient blip to all but those directly affected.

And if I had been affected, I'd be pissed at Chouinard, not an organization that wasn't involved.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
LOL, I haven't been a member for years now. But good on you for digging that up. It's very relevant to the topic.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
LOL, I haven't been a member for years now. But good on you for digging that up. It's very relevant to the topic.

I just wanted to remind you how phuggin stupid you are. Glad it made both of us laugh...LOL

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by T_Inman

Chukar and huns are just as fast, though there rarely is a need to shoot through brush like there often is with ruffeds.

I hunt all these and more. I am not afraid to travel....

You can hunt for miles in NW WIsconsin. Numbers kind of seem on the upswing. Price county is likely the surest bet . I know a guy who hunts quite a bit. He likes Price county about the best, maybe eastern Sawyer co. Lots of public bring a compass, the woods are darn thick.
And to keep the message on track , Ironically , you might even see an elk. There are very few however. The DNR planted 125 from Kentucky of all places in 1996. They said there would be huntable numbers in 25 yrs. There are still only a few hundred. They were doing fine till the wolves came in . There might just be 200 altogether. Real sad what the wolves did. I'm sure no one here will believe me when I tell them I feel sorry for the guys who live in elk country. If those wolves take off, the numbers will reduce 50% in 10 yrs. I never would have believed what I see every spring in Price and Sawyer co. where I have land and a cabin since 1989. You could hunt deer, go in the woods and sit downwind from a few trails and see a few deer here and there. Not many, winters are hard there many years. Now, you can hunt all weekend and not see a deer. We hunt opening weekend every year for fun. Between me and my son, on a 2 day hunt, we are lucky to see one deer each. I can walk a mile and find just a few buck rubs in the big woods. After a 2 mile walk , we saw 1 buck rub and a few ground scrapes in the Flambeau River State Forest. The deer are so scarce that even the wolves seemed to have moved out. There are grouse there however. The

Last edited by ihookem; 03/18/23.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S

I just wanted to remind you how phuggin stupid you are. Glad it made both of us laugh...LOL

LOL again, it just reminded me of how stupid you are.

And an aśśhole to boot, quite a combination.

Page 9 of 12 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

338 members (17CalFan, 160user, 163bc, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 28 invisible), 2,037 guests, and 1,172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,627
Posts18,474,133
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.