Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by WMR
Originally Posted by RHClark
Originally Posted by WMR
Originally Posted by antlers
The Holy Spirit is a teacher, a helper, and an advocate. It’s the same powerful Spirit of God that raised Jesus from the dead, and actually resides within those who have put their trust and confidence in Jesus. The Holy Spirit teaches people the things that God wants ‘them’ to know, and helps ‘them’ live the way that God wants ‘them’ to live. Is it individualized and personalized…? You betcha…!

I don’t think Jesus wants a bunch of automatons and slaves; I think He wants us to have an individual and personal relationship with Him...to see us change by knowing Him...and to feel what it’s like to be truly loved by Him.

That's the whole point of having a Holy Spirit rather than just a set of written rules to live by. Before I learned that, I tried to live my life by what God had told someone else, a few thousand years ago. Scripture is just the beginning and history. God wants you to be more concerned about what he is telling you, right now, than about what he told Peter or Paul 2000 years ago.

Do you have a dedicated line or do you have to sort out the counsel of The Spirt from all the other input? Does The Holy Spirit ever give you instruction that is contradictory to scripture?

No dedicated line. I kept dialing that number years ago but never got a real clear signal. You can get the same connection. Just honestly ask yourself how to have more love, joy, peace, goodness, gentleness meekness temperance and self-control in your life. If you are honest about it, you won't get an answer contrary to scripture.

I will say though that the answers about what you need to do is usually in all those little things you have been thinking about for a long time but just haven't gotten around to yet, you know like spending better time with your family, quitting a bad habit or spending less time arguing with people on social media.

Thanks for the reply. I’m quite certain that you have a good working knowledge of Biblical principles. Consciously or not, that would help you discern whether the guidance comes from the Holy Spirit or not. A man is constantly bombarded with thoughts and impulses from a variety of sources. With no scriptural reference, he might be led astray. Particularly so if he has no church around him to help.

As for what our Lord said 2000 years ago, wouldn’t his instructions be just as relevant today?

The scripture is useful but not as your guide for this life, in this time. Jesus said that all the law could be summed up in "love God and love your neighbor as yourself." All you need to obey the law is love. If you love your neighbor, you won't kill him or screw his wife or bear false witness against him. If you are doing the things that develop those fruits of the Spirit in your life you will also be following any relevant scripture.

Jesus spoke of love as the fulfillment of all the law because without love you wouldn't obey the law anyway. With love you obey it without even knowing it. Likewise, a saved person developing those fruits in their life will be following relevant scriptures even if they can't quote them.

Ironically, I usually find that those who often quote scriptures are far more concerned about others obeying them than their selves.

Last edited by RHClark; 03/18/23.
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Interesting article from Science philosopher David Berlinski.......

Science philosopher David Berlinski is a critic of the militant atheism that has recently arisen in the scientific community. He points out how difficult it is to impose such a standard of evidence. Berlinski gives an example of “neutrinos,” which are subatomic particles that no one can see, yet our belief in them is resolute. So to impose a standard of evidence that “I must see it to believe it” is very difficult. Such general principles, when universally applied, frequently collapse of their own logical weight.

Illegitimi non carborundum

W
WMR Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by WMR
Originally Posted by WMR
The Holy Spirit is a teacher, a helper, and an advocate. It’s the same powerful Spirit of God that raised Jesus from the dead, and actually resides within those who have put their trust and confidence in Jesus. The Holy Spirit teaches people the things that God wants ‘them’ to know, and helps ‘them’ live the way that God wants ‘them’ to live. Is it individualized and personalized…? You betcha…!

I don’t think Jesus wants a bunch of automatons and slaves; I think He wants us to have an individual and personal relationship with Him...to see us change by knowing Him...and to feel what it’s like to be truly loved by Him.

That's the whole point of having a Holy Spirit rather than just a set of written rules to live by. Before I learned that, I tried to live my life by what God had told someone else, a few thousand years ago. Scripture is just the beginning and history. God wants you to be more concerned about what he is telling you, right now, than about what he told Peter or Paul 2000 years ago.

Do you have a dedicated line or do you have to sort out the counsel of The Spirt from all the other input? Does The Holy Spirit ever give you instruction that is contradictory to scripture?

No dedicated line. I kept dialing that number years ago but never got a real clear signal. You can get the same connection. Just honestly ask yourself how to have more love, joy, peace, goodness, gentleness meekness temperance and self-control in your life. If you are honest about it, you won't get an answer contrary to scripture.

I will say though that the answers about what you need to do is usually in all those little things you have been thinking about for a long time but just haven't gotten around to yet, you know like spending better time with your family, quitting a bad habit or spending less time arguing with people on social media.

Thanks for the reply. I’m quite certain that you have a good working knowledge of Biblical principles. Consciously or not, that would help you discern whether the guidance comes from the Holy Spirit or not. A man is constantly bombarded with thoughts and impulses from a variety of sources. With no scriptural reference, he might be led astray. Particularly so if he has no church around him to help.

As for what our Lord said 2000 years ago, wouldn’t his instructions be just as relevant today?

The scripture is useful but not as your guide for this life, in this time. Jesus said that all the law could be summed up in "love God and love your neighbor as yourself." All you need to obey the law is love. If you love your neighbor, you won't kill him or screw his wife or bear false witness against him. If you are doing the things that develop those fruits of the Spirit in your life you will also be following any relevant scripture.

Jessus spoke of love as the fulfillment of all the law because without love you wouldn't obey the law anyway. With love you obey it without even knowing it. Likewise, a saved person developing those fruits in their life will be following relevant scriptures even if they can't quote them.

Ironically, I usually find that those who often quote scriptures are far more concerned about others obeying them than their selves.

Agreed. Christ’s instructions will keep us plenty busy. I’d do better if I could just keep myself out of the way! I know I’m saved, but wish I could better live out my witness. I find that his Word, my church and my Christian brothers all help me with that.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
You guys go give em schit in Aussie thread and see how magnanimous they are.

Hahaha!

LOL!!!

Sounds to me like the king of wild, angry, false accusations got his big fat butt hurt in the last encounter. Although can't completely rule out diaper rash either.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
A question, at death, does the soul go directly to Heavon, or wait until Judgement Day?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Hahaha!

LOL!!!

Sounds to me like the king of wild, angry, false accusations got his big fat butt hurt in the last encounter. Although can't completely rule out diaper rash either.

It’s funny and telling how little you and your girlfriend are regarded here! It would cause most people with 3 or more brain cells to take a moment’s pause and self-reflect on why EVERYONE here hates me… but not you 2 girls, you 2 double down on stupid.

When you are universally loathed by atheists and Christians alike it’s not everyone else’s problem….it’s yours!…you own your dirty reputation and you deserve it!

Congratulations?….you dumbfucks!

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

Hahaha!

LOL!!!

It’s funny and telling how little you and your girlfriend are regarded here! It would cause most people with 3 or more brain cells to take a moment’s pause and self-reflect on why EVERYONE here hates me… but not you 2 girls, you 2 double down on stupid.

When you are universally loathed by atheists and Christians alike it’s not everyone else’s problem….it’s yours!…you own your dirty reputation and you deserve it!

This is how I picture DBT and mauserand9mm.

I picture two obese, balding, alcoholic has-beens sweating profusely as they pound away at their keyboards to gain relevance in a foreign country, after being rejected and dismissed by their communities Down Under.

They do know that they have been shunned in every circle they try to be part of. They most likely have suicidal tendencies and consider ending their miserable lives on a regular basis.

All the alcohol in the world will not ease their pain, and they both know that they are failures without any hope of any type of positive outcome in any endeavors they embark on.

I feel really sorry for them since they live such pathetic, irrelevant, and painful existences.

KB

Last edited by KillerBee; 03/18/23.

KB

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Interesting article from Science philosopher David Berlinski.......

Science philosopher David Berlinski is a critic of the militant atheism that has recently arisen in the scientific community. He points out how difficult it is to impose such a standard of evidence. Berlinski gives an example of “neutrinos,” which are subatomic particles that no one can see, yet our belief in them is resolute. So to impose a standard of evidence that “I must see it to believe it” is very difficult. Such general principles, when universally applied, frequently collapse of their own logical weight.

False equivalence. The scientific facts are demostrable, the faith claims are not. You said that all you have is faith yet try to falsely denegrate the scientific facts - why? That in no way gives your beliefs any more substance, and makes you appear even more irrational.

Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Hahaha!

LOL!!!

You don't discuss or argue rationally, your way of dealing with those who don"t share your beliefs is through resorting toad homs and insults, big noting yourself as a tough guy and a defender of the faith...and of course those that share your beliefs love you for it.
Which says something about both you, your abusive, intolerant character and those who support your childish antics.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
... The author of Judges tells how the Holy Spirit came upon Samson so powerfully that he tore a lion apart with his bare hands.

I have trust and confidence that the Holy Spirit…who is clearly powerful enough to raise Jesus from the dead….

Myth compounded with more myth.
Waiting for Anlers to post something
of actual credible substance.

Originally Posted by bludog
I pray for all you non-believers that the veil will be lifted so that you can see and understand the truth of who Jesus Christ is....

So you want 70+% of the global population
converted to your beliefs?

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
IC B3

antlers Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wabigoon
A question, at death, does the soul go directly to Heaven, or wait until Judgement Day?
Jesus told the penitent thief on the cross next to His that
“…today you will be with me in paradise.”

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DBT
To question doesn't make one a tool of Satan, a murderer a liar or a thief, just a reasonable human being inquiring into the nature of the world as it is, not how we might like it to be.
I agree with this.
Originally Posted by bludog
I pray for all you non-believers that the veil will be lifted so that you can see and understand the truth of who Jesus Christ is. God bless you all.
I am a believer but I steadily go over Jesus' words and teachings. If I stick with Matthew I think that would be sufficient but I read the others also.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wabigoon
A question, at death, does the soul go directly to Heaven, or wait until Judgement Day?
Jesus told the penitent thief on the cross next to His that
“…today you will be with me in paradise.”

LoL , who recorded what Jesus allegedly said
on the cross?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
.. ...“neutrinos,” ...

False equivalence. The scientific facts are demostrable, the faith claims are not...

Some believers claim Jesus could 1./ appear out
of thin air and 2./ walk through walls...
(Why one would bother with the 2nd when
you can do the 1st makes no sense)

But no believer is able to demonstrate any
but they bank their faith on a hypothetical
athereal 'paradise'.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Was rummaging through some old papers, and reread this one...has a lot of wisdom, I believe...

French mathematician and philosopher Blaise Pascal, who was converted to Christianity at the age of 31, said this about God’s revealing himself to man:
“Willing to appear openly to those who seek him with all their heart, and to be hidden from those who flee from him with all their heart, God so regulates the knowledge of himself that he has given indications of himself which are visible to those who seek him and not to those who do not seek him. There is enough light for those to see who only desire to see, and enough obscurity for those who have a contrary disposition.”

In simple terms, Pascal is saying that God makes his existence obvious enough to those who seek him, but obscure enough to those who don’t want to hear the evidence. If this is true, then it begins with our will and our desire.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Hastings
I am a believer but I steadily go over Jesus' words and teachings. If I stick with Matthew I think that would be sufficient but I read the others also.

Yes, I know what you mean....I do the same from time to time.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

Aces, sorry, couldn't help it, but I had to laugh my asp off, then change my undies....

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Paul William Roberts wrote a most interesting book named "In Search of the Birth of Jesus". It is most interesting if you want to look at some ideas that may be at variance with the Christianity you've been taught or indoctrinated with all these years. I think it is available for an affordable price from various sources.

Might give you pause to think. That is if you are inclined to think.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
French mathematician and philosopher Blaise Pascal, who was converted to Christianity at the age of 31, ..

Pascal claimed a supernatural vision of g0d
but described it as nothing more than "fire"

He was a mathematician who calculated probability
in gambling stakes...and then applied them to g0d.

Apologist William Lane Craig also reduces g0d
down to an extremely long shot mathematical
probabilty.

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Aces, sorry, couldn't help it, but I had to laugh my asp off, then change my undies....

Popularity amongst one's fellow believers doesn't determine truth. If questioning dirties one's reputation, then what does naivety and intolerance do. Some 'good Christians' reek of intolerance, and if born in another time would be the first to burn heretics at the stake.

Page 27 of 108 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 107 108

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (219 Wasp, 257man, 219DW, 10ring1, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 43 invisible), 1,860 guests, and 1,187 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,219
Posts18,524,559
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.