-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I must have stepped out of line when all the wealth and entitled wellbeing was passed out on a silver platter (born 1946). Worked in hay and tobacco fields for a buck a day and lunch as a kid. Gave up 4 yrs to earn the GI Bill. Garnered just over $7k while traveling the world and made it to E5 in those years. Post service, at age 23, it took me 2 and 1/2 weeks to earn $100 with all the standard withdrawals made and no bennies. No work = no pay. Made a promise to a bride in 1972, and it's stuck. We subsequently squeezed by doing without loans, a rig, TV, cable, phones, drugs, fine threads, meals out, pizza in, insurance of any kind, Fridays nights at the bar, and spring break in Cabo while acquiring 3 debt free degrees. Hunting and fishing were for both food and fun.

All that effort has paid off, we weathered crashes and shortages, never quit a job without another ahead, and we're comfortable and layed back now. With frugal living, we still have expanding accounts. We had the right to pursue our good fortune with zero expectations of being owed a guarantee. I don't feel we've ever truly suffered, and we got a fair shake along the way. We've even had people openly disagree with our opinions a couple of times but managed to weather those experiences.

We see all manner of kids in today's society, and those that want to work are in high demand, doing quite fine, and attaining the good life in a shorter span of time than we. Kid across the street just picked up a nursing degree, started at $100k, and has purchased a home and rig with a cab over camper. Not bad.

We see others still at home and doing entry level stuff for $23 an hour.

Last edited by 1minute; 03/18/23.

1Minute
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
Remember, Jill is not broke and living on the street.

She writes these tales of sorrow books and articles to sell her work.

And for those who buy her books or read her articles they use that to rationalize why they are failing to achieve.

Jill is a phony

GOA
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
The Boomer hate schitt has been going on for 20 years or more. Now, the GenX people who started it are all wrinkled up and baldern a monkey's ass.

GenZ calls anybody over 42 a Boomer.

One of these days all the real Boomers will be dead and the GenZ people will be calling GenX Boomers and knocking' 'em in the head.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Gen X needs to whine more. But they're too busy keeping things running while boomers spend the profits on hookers and cocaine and millennials refuse to work because their ego hasn't been massaged enough.

Bb

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
Gen X needs to whine more. But they're too busy keeping things running while boomers spend the profits on hookers and cocaine and millennials refuse to work because their ego hasn't been massaged enough.

Bb

Boomers,...hookers and coke?

Mannnnnnn,....c'mon. Boomer men are old enough that they barely want to tolerate women at all,...much less some crazy ass hooker.

As for Cocaine,..a boomer will die of a heart attack 3/8" into honkin' a line.

Boomers spend money on Raisen Bran and Mr Pillow's house shoes.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cry me a river.

L
logger Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
I'm sure it is easy to blame the Boomers, but at the same time be more than willing to take an inheritance from Boomer parents. We are probably going to see the largest transfers of generational wealth as the Boomers phase out.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by logger
We are probably going to see the largest transfers of generational wealth as the Boomers phase out.

The smart boomers will spend it all before they croak, prepay a fancy funeral for themselves, and leave their deadbeat kids holding an empty bag.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 12344mag
She could try prostitution, lots of Boomers will pay good money or some young snatch........

She has options.

Note the added emphasis...

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by JoeBob
I don’t really blame them. Her conclusions are all wrong but it has undoubtedly sucked for them. On the other hand, as an X’er who will never get to retire, I don’t have much sympathy.
As a fellow X'er with few million reasons why they can retire whenever they want to, could you please explain how you managed to be a no money having phouquetard?

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I don't know what a millennial is. Don't know what a Gen X, Gen Z is either. Care less. Whiney little pussies is how they all come across. Their pain was largely caused by how they voted in Presidential elections.

Sam......

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I once interviewed my grandfather for a depression project. He would have to leave school early each spring for planting, work all summer, and then start late in the fall due to harvesting. Got consistently behind (I guess back then kids just picked up where they left off) and when he enlisted at 18, he effectively had an 8th grade education. College was out of reach for everyday kids back then. They made it through because they saved everything.

Now a college degree is easier to obtain than ever before which has effectively reduced demand for college degrees due to an exploded supply. So those millennials that get degrees or trade certifications in high demand sectors such as welding, HVAC, plumbing, engineering, medical field occupations to care for an aging populace are doing fine. They look around them and wonder what the big fuss is all about. Heck, many of them bought and resold real estate when rates were really low and own at least one residence currently.

Now those that got a degree in underwater lesbian literature theory, well they’re fixing coffees, wondering how they’ll pay off 100k of loans and whining that everyone in Europe has it so easy.

Last edited by philgood80; 03/19/23.

Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. - Ronald Reagan

For why should my freedom be judged by another man's conscience? - 1 Corinthians 10:29
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by trplem
Originally Posted by JoeBob
I don’t really blame them. Her conclusions are all wrong but it has undoubtedly sucked for them. On the other hand, as an X’er who will never get to retire, I don’t have much sympathy.
As a fellow X'er with few million reasons why they can retire whenever they want to, could you please explain how you managed to be a no money having phouquetard?

Good for you. But ask me how I know you really don’t have schit.

E
ERK Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
E
That twat has never made a meal in her life. Eats out all the time and walks around with a Starbucks 5 dollar drink in her hand. Voted for Bidet and now pisses and moans about gas prices. Fug them. I worked for all my stuff and nobody left me squat. Her phone cost more than my first four cars cost total. Rant over . Edk

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Originally Posted by HughW
Millennial’s are an interesting group. Both of our children are in that category. Both have good jobs - one owns her home, the son has a rental and another home that he is working on. Their friends are all solid for jobs, families and homes.

They openly talk about the “other” category of millennials - entitled, complaining, not enough being done for them. Looks like the author would fall in their other category.

Being a boomer I can also attest to many boomers wanting increased hand outs and openly stating they are hard done by. So the feeling of being entitled to my entitlements is not just a generational issue.

That is my take too.
I know plenty of millennials that have solid careers and lead respectable, debt free lives. I also know more than one boomer and Gen X who has lived off the system their entire lives and constantly play the victim card.

I do believe boomers are who really started the credit card debt avalanche and made it ‘acceptable’ in today’s world to be 10s of thousands of $ in CC debt, but that is a different discussion.

A lot of Boomers and Xs have also sponged off Mommy and Daddy.
For years I've looked around and wondered how folks who earn equal
or less to us do so much. Houses, cars, toys, trips. Stuff that eclipses us
and we have no debt.

My wife cued me in, observation confirmed it.

50 F'n years old and Mommy is funneling them money, buying big ticket toys
for them, taking their whole family on trips.

F'n pathetic.
We haven't always had much, lived in a ratty trailer park for 5 years.
But thank the good Lord we have never needed to beg.
Sometime you buy Demonico Primals,
sometimes you buy burger and stretch it.

Last edited by Dillonbuck; 03/19/23.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
In high school, Carter was president. Inflation and Iran dominated the narrative. College money nonexistent. USSR alive and threatening.

Not going to apologize to anyone for working hard, living within my means, and building a decent life for myself.

Every generation has its challenges. Every single one. Grow up and move out of mommy's basement.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lots of good points made here.

Let me just point out that if sweet baby Jill waited tables in the evenings and weekends as a second job, she could have that down payment on the house in a couple of years. And that student loan would be gone in a couple more.

I’ve got two millennial kids. One’s a homeowner, the other just moved and is chunking away 40% of their income for a down payment. Zero drama in either one’s life as far as making it, financially Then again, how hard can it possibly be to make it as DINKS with 100K plus incomes?

Sic Semper Tyrannis
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
This commie needs to get off her computer and get to work.

I'll give her a job .

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
What she and those like her need is to spend a summer in a tobacco patch, log woods, or on a paving or roofing crew. Changes one’s perspective.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
Jill Filipovic, who is this?

Jill Nicole Filipovic (born August 3, 1983)[1] is an American author and lawyer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jill_Filipovic

GOA
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (1badf350, 21, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1Longbow, 51 invisible), 2,166 guests, and 1,148 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,764
Posts18,476,663
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.