Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
BS. You made the student load debt; pay it. How about the Government pay me a loan for a new truck? What we need is responsibility rathe than whiners.

Show class, have pride, and display character. If you do, winning will take care of itself.
Coach Bryant.
GB1

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
completely agree

Show class, have pride, and display character. If you do, winning will take care of itself.
Coach Bryant.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by gregintenn
What she and those like her need is to spend a summer in a tobacco patch, log woods, or on a paving or roofing crew. Changes one’s perspective.
What she and those like her need is to spend a summer in a tobacco patch, log woods, or on a paving or roofing crew. Changes one’s perspective.

A summer spent loading square hay bales by hand in 95 degree heat will also give you an attitude adjustment.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by simonkenton7

A summer spent loading square hay bales by hand in 95 degree heat will also give you an attitude adjustment.
I hate hauling square baled hay. Not so much the work as the allergies.

Last edited by gregintenn; 03/19/23.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
There are undeniable things that are more difficult for those kids nowadays. In the 1960s, 70s, and even up through the 80s a person could put himself through an elite college by working. That’s impossible now at lots of places. You’re not going to get a job that will allow you to pay $75k a year in tuition.

It’s criminal what we as a country have done to these kids. College tuition is out of control purely because of government spending and government interference in the market place because of student loans. And basically every other problem has its roots in government.

They know something is wrong. But they lack the tools to correctly diagnose it. They see the old films of how things were clean and they can watch 80s movies where Southern California was an overwhelmingly white suburban paradise and so on and so forth. They know things are different but they’ve been so indoctrinated they can’t correctly see why.

And it’s easy for boomers to make fun of them but the kids weren’t in charge of the things that made college ruinously expensive or their world trashy ass jungle full of illegals and other foreigners.

If the point is that the country has gone to schit and boomers were the one in charge when it did, it’s pretty hard to deny.

Last edited by JoeBob; 03/19/23.
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by simonkenton7

I hate hauling square baled hay. Not so much the work as the allergies.

The smaller round bales are worse, by far. Hard to stack, hard to carry, PITA all the way around. Dad used to bale them tight and green, they'd weigh about 90lbs., about 20 lbs less than I weighed back then. Square bales were easier and lighter to handle, by far, than the small round bales. Timothy grass makes excellent hay, but it ain't light.............

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
L
logger Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by JoeBob
And it’s easy for boomers to make fun of them but the kids weren’t in charge of the things that made college ruinously expensive or their world trashy ass jungle full of illegals and other foreigners.

If the point is that the country has gone to schit and boomers were the one in charge when it did, it’s pretty hard to deny.

I don't think it is age (generations) but ideology. After all, Biden is not a boomer and he doesn't seem to be helping much. Of the Boomer presidents, we've had 16 years of Democrats and 12 years of Republicans.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by logger

I don't think it is age (generations) but ideology. After all, Biden is not a boomer and he doesn't seem to be helping much. Of the Boomer presidents, we've had 16 years of Democrats and 12 years of Republicans.

I’m think generations are pretty difficult to separate from their dominant ideology. And the fact is, that regardless of the expressed ideology, we have 30 years of out of control government spending, interventionist and bellicose foreign policy, and ruinous immigration policies. There isn’t a vaginal hair’s worth of difference between boomer politicians regardless of the party or expressed ideology on those issues.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I'm a Boomer,...spent a decade working at a heavy industry manufacturing plant. The place is loud. The work is physical. Workdays are typically 10 hours with time and a half for everything past 8 hours. Lots of mandatory work on Saturdays at time and a half. Sundays are double time. You're going to be working night shift for many years.

$24 an hour with a good benefit package. It's located in Central Kentucky and they can't find people. With mandatory overtime, after taxes, you can bring home about $1000 a week.

Go get it, millennial.

https://www.cmwa.com/careers

E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Cmon Bristoe! They might break a finger nail or something. Edk

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ERK
Cmon Bristoe! They might break a finger nail or something. Edk
they cant just get on their cell phones when ever they want to , like they are accustommed too

NRA Life Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You certain that wasn’t from the Babylon Bee?

Whiny
Little
Bitch

What fresh Hell is this?
L
logger Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L

I’m think generations are pretty difficult to separate from their dominant ideology. And the fact is, that regardless of the expressed ideology, we have 30 years of out of control government spending, interventionist and bellicose foreign policy, and ruinous immigration policies. There isn’t a vaginal hair’s worth of difference between boomer politicians regardless of the party or expressed ideology on those issues.

Well, Biden is not a boomer politician. It is interesting that Bush, Trump and Clinton were all born in 1946, the first year of the Boomer generation. Biden was only born 4 years before. I assume they would be very different than those in the Boomer cohort born in 1964.

What do you think the dominant ideology will be of the Gen x and Millennial politicians and do you think it will make any difference as to party?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Well, Biden is not a boomer politician. It is interesting that Bush, Trump and Clinton were all born in 1946, the first year of the Boomer generation. Biden was only born 4 years before. I assume they would be very different than those in the Boomer cohort born in 1964.

What do you think the dominant ideology will be of the Gen x and Millennial politicians and do you think it will make any difference as to party?

Biden might not be but his brain, Susan Rice, is.

Not enough X’ers to make a difference but X’ers tend to be independent and detached emotionally. First generation to get home from school with no one home and on their own until mom and dad got home at 7:00 or so.

Millennials were indoctrinated by the system set up by Boomers and they are feeling like they’ve been dealt an unfair hand. I’m not optimistic.

Last edited by JoeBob; 03/19/23.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
As Mike Rowe recently said,of the 7 million unemployed, most are lacking the will.

What I don't get is how in the hell does that work?
There were many days I didn't "feel" like going to work, so what, not sick or leaking red.... then ya go to work

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There are undeniable things that are more difficult for those kids nowadays. In the 1960s, 70s, and even up through the 80s a person could put himself through an elite college by working. That’s impossible now at lots of places. You’re not going to get a job that will allow you to pay $75k a year in tuition.

It’s criminal what we as a country have done to these kids. College tuition is out of control purely because of government spending and government interference in the market place because of student loans. And basically every other problem has its roots in government.

They know something is wrong. But they lack the tools to correctly diagnose it. They see the old films of how things were clean and they can watch 80s movies where Southern California was an overwhelmingly white suburban paradise and so on and so forth. They know things are different but they’ve been so indoctrinated they can’t correctly see why.

Horse puckey.

1). You don’t NEED to go to an elite college to have a successful career. Many states have FREE junior college educations, finish up your two last years at a state school (average tuition 14K), go to grad school for a science degree on an assistantship: presto! ZERO student loans and great career opportunities.

The disservice Boomers have cursed their offspring with is the notion that you have to go to a “good” college to be able to succeed, and you should do anything, pay anything when you get the chance to get in. It’s absolute hogwash. If you control for the applicants abilities, there’s NO evidence that “elite” schools provide better careers. They have higher entry level salaries right out of school, but after five years in the workplace, there’s no significant difference. Except $300K in tuition spent and pretty trees on campus.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Millennials were indoctrinated by the system set up by Boomers and they are feeling like they’ve been dealt an unfair hand. I’m not optimistic.

I went to work at the manufacturing plant I mentioned in 1998 facing the same job prospects that Millennials had at that time. In fact, the majority of the workforce at that place were Millennials and GenX. It was pretty much a young man's job.

It's a fairly rough way to make a living. But some Millennials were willing to do what it took. They never had any problem keeping people back when I worked there. Today the pay is much better and they're constantly looking for people to keep the place fully staffed.

Are the opportunities as good as they were 45 years ago? No. They're not. But there's still ways for a young man to make his way if he's willing to relocate to where the jobs are and to make the sacrifices that the jobs require.

I did it at age 42 simply because it was what I had to do to keep from living on the street.

Mom's basement wasn't an option for a 42 year old man with three kids.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Dutch

Horse puckey.

1). You don’t NEED to go to an elite college to have a successful career. Many states have FREE junior college educations, finish up your two last years at a state school (average tuition 14K), go to grad school for a science degree on an assistantship: presto! ZERO student loans and great career opportunities.

The disservice Boomers have cursed their offspring with is the notion that you have to go to a “good” college to be able to succeed, and you should do anything, pay anything when you get the chance to get in. It’s absolute hogwash. If you control for the applicants abilities, there’s NO evidence that “elite” schools provide better careers. They have higher entry level salaries right out of school, but after five years in the workplace, there’s no significant difference. Except $300K in tuition spent and pretty trees on campus.

Okay, boomer. Once again you miss the point. The point is that boomers could go to an elite university and pay for it by working their way through if they chose to do so. Not that it’s necessary to go to an elite school to succeed but that even elite schools were open to those willing to work for it in those days. Nowadays they aren’t solely because of policies put in place, often by boomer politicians.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Bristoe

I went to work at the manufacturing plant I mentioned in 1998 facing the same job prospects that Millennials had at that time. In fact, the majority of the workforce at that place were Millennials and GenX. It was pretty much a young man's job.

It's a fairly rough way to make a living. But some Millennials were willing to do what it took. They never had any problem keeping people back when I worked there. Today the pay is much better and they're constantly looking for people to keep the place fully staffed.

Are the opportunities as good as they were 45 years ago? No. They're not. But there's still ways for a young man to make his way if he's willing to relocate to where the jobs are and to make the sacrifices that the jobs require.

I did it at age 42 simply because it was what I had to do to keep from living on the street.

Mom's basement wasn't an option for a 42 year old man with three kids.

This is all true but it fails to acknowledge that the problem is as much a crisis of culture and soul as it is opportunity. And the conditions that have brought us to this point are not primarily of the making of a lot of these kids.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Okay, boomer. Once again you miss the point. The point is that boomers could go to an elite university and pay for it by working their way through if they chose to do so.

Oh bullshit. How many people of *any* generation have *really* had the opportunity to attend an elite University.

The social strata has always been there. True, some people break out and advance through the college system. But the vast majority have launched by getting a job and working their way as far as possible in it.

That's been the standard life in America forever.

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

83 members (Akhutr, 35, 33sixSS, 907brass, 300_savage, 9 invisible), 1,446 guests, and 901 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,413
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.