Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Okay, boomer. Once again you miss the point. The point is that boomers could go to an elite university and pay for it by working their way through if they chose to do so.

Oh bullshit. How many people of *any* generation have *really* had the opportunity to attend an elite University.

Used to be anyone who studied hard, did well on tests, didn't get arrested etc...

Politics changes that.

GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Okay, boomer. Once again you miss the point. The point is that boomers could go to an elite university and pay for it by working their way through if they chose to do so.

Oh bullshit. How many people of *any* generation have *really* had the opportunity to attend an elite University.

It’s like arguing with kids. If they could get in, they could pay for it with nothing more than their own work if they wanted. Can’t do that nowadays.

Even top state schools like Michigan and UVA are absolutely cost prohibitive nowadays.

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by logger
Originally Posted by logger
And it’s easy for boomers to make fun of them but the kids weren’t in charge of the things that made college ruinously expensive or their world trashy ass jungle full of illegals and other foreigners.

If the point is that the country has gone to schit and boomers were the one in charge when it did, it’s pretty hard to deny.

I don't think it is age (generations) but ideology. After all, Biden is not a boomer and he doesn't seem to be helping much. Of the Boomer presidents, we've had 16 years of Democrats and 12 years of Republicans.

I’m think generations are pretty difficult to separate from their dominant ideology. And the fact is, that regardless of the expressed ideology, we have 30 years of out of control government spending, interventionist and bellicose foreign policy, and ruinous immigration policies. There isn’t a vaginal hair’s worth of difference between boomer politicians regardless of the party or expressed ideology on those issues.

Well, Biden is not a boomer politician. It is interesting that Bush, Trump and Clinton were all born in 1946, the first year of the Boomer generation. Biden was only born 4 years before. I assume they would be very different than those in the Boomer cohort born in 1964.

What do you think the dominant ideology will be of the Gen x and Millennial politicians and do you think it will make any difference as to party?

Biden might not be but his brain, Susan Rice, is.

Not enough X’ers to make a difference but X’ers tend to be independent and detached emotionally. First generation to get home from school with no one home and on their own until mom and dad got home at 7:00 or so.

Millennials were indoctrinated by the system set up by Boomers and they are feeling like they’ve been dealt an unfair hand. I’m not optimistic.

Xers work hard, stay to themselves and don’t give a shiet for the most part. We’ve always been the middle kid 😁

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B

It’s like arguing with kids. If they could get in, they could pay for it with nothing more than their own work if they wanted. Can’t do that nowadays.

Even top state schools like Michigan and UVA are absolutely cost prohibitive nowadays.

Student loans are available. It's the sacrifice one makes if they want to advance through the university system.

Every path requires a sacrifice,....always has.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Okay, boomer. Once again you miss the point. The point is that boomers could go to an elite university and pay for it by working their way through if they chose to do so. Not that it’s necessary to go to an elite school to succeed but that even elite schools were open to those willing to work for it in those days. Nowadays they aren’t solely because of policies put in place, often by boomer politicians.

Swing, and a miss, snowflake. Not a boomer. “Elite” college never was an option here, either.

You seem to have sand in your panties for not being able to go to Yale, and that’s because you think Yale would have given you something special. The point is that you’ve been brainwashed to think there’s a benefit to an “elite education. There isn’t one.

You’re whining you can’t have something that has no significant value to begin with.

The brainwashing is from the boomer generation’s experience that degrees were necessary for success, and THAT is no longer true. Higher education can not stand any critical scrutiny of return on investment. JFC, you need a MASTERS to be a social worker for the state to make $45K a year. You can make that flipping burgers.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Jcubed

Used to be anyone who studied hard, did well on tests, didn't get arrested etc...

Politics changes that.

Yeah, that’s another thing. My child as a white female from an affluent background has an absolutely ZERO chance of going to an Ivy League school. She isn’t a legacy, so that’s out. And regardless of how well she does on tests, minority candidates with worse grades and scores will get in over her. Increasingly, this is true for things like medical school as well.

She did nothing to make this world. None of that is her fault. Doesn’t mean she won’t do well in life, but she is responsible for none of the things wrong in the world that we bitch about on this board and elsewhere.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Dutch
Okay, boomer. Once again you miss the point. The point is that boomers could go to an elite university and pay for it by working their way through if they chose to do so. Not that it’s necessary to go to an elite school to succeed but that even elite schools were open to those willing to work for it in those days. Nowadays they aren’t solely because of policies put in place, often by boomer politicians.

Swing, and a miss, snowflake. Not a boomer. “Elite” college never was an option here, either.

You seem to have sand in your panties for not being able to go to Yale, and that’s because you think Yale would have given you something special. The point is that you’ve been brainwashed to think there’s a benefit to an “elite education. There isn’t one.

You’re whining you can’t have something that has no significant value to begin with.

The brainwashing is from the boomer generation’s experience that degrees were necessary for success, and THAT is no longer true. Higher education can not stand any critical scrutiny of return on investment. JFC, you need a MASTERS to be a social worker for the state to make $45K a year. You can make that flipping burgers.

Good lord, no that is the point. The point is not about elite college, the point is that even elite colleges used to be affordable. Now they aren’t purely because of choices made by politicians.

Last edited by JoeBob; 03/19/23.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Jcubed

Politics changes that.

Yeah, that’s another thing. My child as a white female from an affluent background has an absolutely ZERO chance of going to an Ivy League school. She isn’t a legacy, so that’s out. And regardless of how well she does on tests, minority candidates with worse grades and scores will get in over her. Increasingly, this is true for things like medical school as well.

She did nothing to make this world. None of that is her fault. Doesn’t mean she won’t do well in life, but she is responsible for none of the things wrong in the world that we bitch about on this board and elsewhere.

I scored high on the SATs when it was scored on the 1600 scale...being a white male, I couldn't get into the Ivy league schools.

Change from white and drop my test scores a few hundred points I would get into any of them....weird.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Student loans are available. It's the sacrifice one makes if they want to advance through the university system.

Every path requires a sacrifice,....always has.

I thought you were smart. Student loans are the main reason college is cost prohibitive.

Would you have been a machinist if you had been required to take seven years of schooling and come out with $250k of debt when done?

And how would you feel if the main reason it was so expensive was because of direct government intervention?

Last edited by JoeBob; 03/19/23.
L
logger Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
My view is that generations really don't matter. It is mostly about the individual and each unique circumstance. The one difference is that now with social media, it is very easy to amplify your feelings and reach millions, as the author does in this article. In the old days, pre internet, the only way to amplify was mass protest and a mass cause. Boomers did each i.e. the Vietnam protests, and Earth Day. Every "generation" has some cause to "blame" a previous generation. It is just a question as whether each person wants to use that blame as a crutch or excuse.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Geesus cry me a river. Try adding two divorces, 30 years of outrageous child support payments, the total loss of your nearly paid for house and all your belongings when in your 40's onto that list and we'll talk about how tough you've had it. Fuuckin pussies. I'm just damn glad I had so much "white priviledge" or I might not have survived.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good lord, no that is the point. The point is not about elite college, the point is that even elite colleges used to be affordable. Now they aren’t purely because of choices made by politicians.

And, used to be, you could go out west, stake some posts in the ground and you’d have all the land to farm or ranch you could handle! FREE!

Used to be, you could go to Alaska, start digging and pull gold out of the ground and be wealthy!

Used to be, you could buy a nice, middle class home in the suburbs for a year’s wages, or less.

You are fixed on the access and costs of elite” colleges. Just go find your safe place and get some group therapy, the rest of us will raise our kids to succeed without going to “elite” colleges.

Oh, which reminds me, my daughter graduated from a program ranked #5 IN THE WORLD, and she’s pretty white. Where there’s a will, there’s a way.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Geesus cry me a river. Try adding two divorces, 30 years of outrageous child support payments, the total loss of your nearly paid for house and all your belongings when in your 40's onto that list and we'll talk about how tough you've had it. Fuuckin pussies. I'm just damn glad I had so much "white priviledge" or I might not have survived.

Are you bragging?

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Would you have been a machinist if you had been required to take seven years of schooling and come out with $250k of debt when done?

You can be a machinist today without paying a bunch of money.

If you want to talk about attending elite universities and such, that's one topic.

But the working class opportunities that were available to me are still there today.

And the bottom line is, most Boomers spent their lives working at a job. I've showed you a job that's available to*day* that pays a good wage and has benefits.

There's undoubtedly others.

I can understand why someone wouldn't want to make the sacrifice necessary to work those types of jobs. They're a tough way to make a living.

But the vast majority of people who have had success "working" have had tough jobs. In the working class, the best money is made in the tough jobs. Not all of the tough jobs pay good money. But all the jobs that pay good money require a sacrifice.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
What she and those like her need is to spend a summer in a tobacco patch, log woods, or on a paving or roofing crew. Changes one’s perspective.
What she and those like her need is to spend a summer in a tobacco patch, log woods, or on a paving or roofing crew. Changes one’s perspective.

A summer spent loading square hay bales by hand in 95 degree heat will also give you an attitude adjustment.
I hate hauling square baled hay. Not so much the work as the allergies.

The smaller round bales are worse, by far. Hard to stack, hard to carry, PITA all the way around. Dad used to bale them tight and green, they'd weigh about 90lbs., about 20 lbs less than I weighed back then. Square bales were easier and lighter to handle, by far, than the small round bales. Timothy grass makes excellent hay, but it ain't light.............

The suare bales that I stacked in Idaho were made of Alfalfa, and they weighed 95 pounds. My partner and I put a thousand bales in the barn in a day. I don't know why they make the bales so heavy out there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by papat
Give me give me give me

The blackening of America!

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I'm a Boomer,...spent a decade working at a heavy industry manufacturing plant. The place is loud. The work is physical. Workdays are typically 10 hours with time and a half for everything past 8 hours. Lots of mandatory work on Saturdays at time and a half. Sundays are double time. You're going to be working night shift for many years.

$24 an hour with a good benefit package. It's located in Central Kentucky and they can't find people. With mandatory overtime, after taxes, you can bring home about $1000 a week.

Go get it, millennial.

https://www.cmwa.com/careers

Right on Bristoe and this isn't anything new.
I couldn't find anybody who would come to work Mon. - Fri. , 40 hour work week back in the mid-late 90's. Every trade contractor said the same thing back then, young people don't want to work - no matter how much it pays. Myself I dreamed of finding a summer job between school years [70's], not once did any youts want a job way back then [90's]..
I mentioned the other day a friend/contractor near biloxi , he turned the company over to his two sons, they ran it into the ground in a year. They thought it wasn't fair to have to bid on a job - they should be able to tell a homeowner it's this much $$ and they should have to pay that much.

Any age person who has been pampered throughout their childhood is VERY likely going to be worthless.

Last edited by ol_mike; 03/19/23.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Dutch

And, used to be, you could go out west, stake some posts in the ground and you’d have all the land to farm or ranch you could handle! FREE!

Used to be, you could go to Alaska, start digging and pull gold out of the ground and be wealthy!

Used to be, you could buy a nice, middle class home in the suburbs for a year’s wages, or less.

You are fixed on the access and costs of elite” colleges. Just go find your safe place and get some group therapy, the rest of us will raise our kids to succeed without going to “elite” colleges.

Oh, which reminds me, my daughter graduated from a program ranked #5 IN THE WORLD, and she’s pretty white. Where there’s a will, there’s a way.

Great for your daughter. I’m sure she is fine, but how old she now? And what does she do?

Once again, it isn’t about success or lack thereof. There are still plenty of avenues for that wherever you are in the world. It’s that the country is going to schit and most of that going to schit was before they were old enough to have any influence.

Not one damned thing these kids did, had anything to do with the fact that they got an activist instead of a teacher. Not one thing they ever did, turned suburb into a schithole full of illegals. And the point is not that they shouldn’t still be trying to succeed, it’s that boomers take absolutely no responsibility for leaving their kids a schithole full of foreigners and debt instead of the country they were bequeathed.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I guess some people realize the difficulty that getting divorced has on their finances, and avoid it. But it takes a real genius to get divorced once, then set himself up for the same thing a second time.
If you insist on being an idiot, you better not be a fuuckin pussy.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
it’s that boomers take absolutely no responsibility for leaving their kids a schithole full of foreigners and debt instead of the country they were bequeathed.

The "boomers" were the "people" of that generation, for the most part.

The "people" aren't responsible for the condition the world is in. The people just got up and did what there was to do. The elites control the world. They do today and they have since long before any of us were born.

Pointing fingers at another generation of "people" and holding the "people" responsible for what has transpired is a very incorrect, very disingenuous way to view the world.

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

96 members (35, 7887mm08, 7x57Hunter, Algotguns, Akhutr, 6 invisible), 1,422 guests, and 916 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,414
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.