Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
But the places with metric often have Celsius too. Which is less precise than fahrenheit.

So tell us how it's about precision and accuracy lol

Could be like 3 or four degrees colder or hotter, same temp in C

GB1

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Metrick...It was originally pushed by an English clergyman...which given his day job raises some red flags...(Kenneth Copeland is worth north of 760 million now). Now if it had been invented by a machinist, or a mechanic or a surveyor or a navigator...I'd pay more attention to metrick. Hand me that 9/16, please.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Napoleon had the metric system developed because every country he conquered had a different measuring system. From there it spread all over the world. French, Spanish, Italian, and German colonies used it. Metric is all based on 10's.

You start with a millimeter; 10 millimeters is a centimeter. 100 centimeters or 1,000 millimeters is a meter (a little longer than a yard), 1,000 meters is a kilometer (about a half mile).

1 cubic centimeter is a gram of water. 1,000 grams is a kilogram dry weight (2.2 lbs) or 1 liter of water. 1,000 liters of water is a metric ton (about 2,200 lbs).

Anything less than 1 liter of liquid weight is a milliliter or say 1 cup is about 300 milliters (ml)

Not hard to remember. Each wrench metric is based on millimeters. So the higher mm the larger the wrench.

In metric heat and cold, 0 degrees is freezing or 32 F. 100 degrees is boiling or 212 degrees F. There is also the Rankin temperature scale, and the Kelvin scale used in physics and space. 0 in Kelvin is absolute zero where everything freezes and nothing can get colder. This is like deep space far away from the sun or any star.

Fahrenheit was developed first by a Dutch scientist in the 1600's. Most countries have switched to Centigrade metric scale because water is identifiable easier. Kelvin will eventually win out if our species becomes seriously space bearing, like Startrek or Starwars, due to space being so cold between stars.

Eventually we will have to go metric if we continue to trade with other countries.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by slumlord
I don’t recall using yards, tea spoons, baker’s dozen and hogsheads in chemistry, physics and quant

Ha Ha!

Chem teach posts this on the board.

Please draw the formula and name the resulting compound from 1/2 bushell of ................. , 2 grain scoops of ................ and 3 mason jars of anhydrous...............

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by denton
What do Myanmar, Liberia, and the United States have in common? They are the only countries in the whole world that are not on the metric system. There is a reason practically all the world is metric. It's not because the metric system is less useful than SAE.

Actually if you had a clue you could see that the Metric system does not have any advantage over SAE, none and there are areas where SAE kicks Metrics azz.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by shrapnel
SAE designed and engineered equipment defeated the metrics in 2 world wars and the losers are still trying to make us go backwards…

Excellent post!

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Dixie_Dude
Napoleon had the metric system developed because every country he conquered had a different measuring system. From there it spread all over the world. French, Spanish, Italian, and German colonies used it. Metric is all based on 10's.

You start with a millimeter; 10 millimeters is a centimeter. 100 centimeters or 1,000 millimeters is a meter (a little longer than a yard), 1,000 meters is a kilometer (about a half mile).

1 cubic centimeter is a gram of water. 1,000 grams is a kilogram dry weight (2.2 lbs) or 1 liter of water. 1,000 liters of water is a metric ton (about 2,200 lbs).

Anything less than 1 liter of liquid weight is a milliliter or say 1 cup is about 300 milliters (ml)

Not hard to remember. Each wrench metric is based on millimeters. So the higher mm the larger the wrench.

In metric heat and cold, 0 degrees is freezing or 32 F. 100 degrees is boiling or 212 degrees F. There is also the Rankin temperature scale, and the Kelvin scale used in physics and space. 0 in Kelvin is absolute zero where everything freezes and nothing can get colder. This is like deep space far away from the sun or any star.

Fahrenheit was developed first by a Dutch scientist in the 1600's. Most countries have switched to Centigrade metric scale because water is identifiable easier. Kelvin will eventually win out if our species becomes seriously space bearing, like Startrek or Starwars, due to space being so cold between stars.

Eventually we will have to go metric if we continue to trade with other countries.

You had me until you made Star Trek and Star Wars one word each.

Zero credibility.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
But the places with metric often have Celsius too. Which is less precise than fahrenheit.

Another excellent post!

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

Bullschit, get them to go SAE, much better system.

Dog I rescued in January

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by blindshooter
God help me, I still have Whitworth tools.

My misspent youth fooling with motorcycles.

Hah me too, got a complete set of wrenches but no sockets when I bought my first Triumph, a 66 Bonneville.

Dog I rescued in January

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Is there an issue with measuring Celsius to the 0.001 degree C?

Please explain the rationale of having water freeze at 32 degrees vs 0 degrees.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Why is that significant?

Dog I rescued in January

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rickt300

Bullschit, get them to go SAE, much better system.

Yes, because 16ths, 32nds, and 64ths are so much easier to deal with than everything being in 10ths?

In it is contentment

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
You can tell who's never worked on equipment made outside of the USA... 😁😅😅🤣🤣🤣

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Tide_Change
The Imperial System is ten times easier to understand than the metric system.
Agreed. And SAE also has a simple method for fractions.

Last edited by rickt300; 03/20/23.

Dog I rescued in January

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Why is that significant?

Because mjbgalt says Celsius is less precise than Fahrenheit.

I'd like to hear how, and why.

In it is contentment

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

Well duh, zero degrees is a lot colder than 32 degrees.

Everyone knows that.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Tide_Change
The Imperial System is ten times easier to understand than the metric system.
Agreed. And SAE also has a simple method for fractions.
Fine what does 1/3rd of a meter measure?

333.333333333 +/- mm

In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Pharmseller

Well duh, zero degrees is a lot colder than 32 degrees.

Everyone knows that.

P

Laughin' here.

In it is contentment

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M

Why is that significant?

Because mjbgalt says Celsius is less precise than Fahrenheit.

I'd like to hear how, and why.

Just told you. One degree of C could be several degrees of F...it is less precise.

Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (Anaconda, Amos63, 44automag, 01Foreman400, 808outdoors, 11 invisible), 1,472 guests, and 727 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,493
Posts18,472,097
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.