Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mathman
I can't believe some of the irrational bullshit I'm reading here.

Many are saying essentially, English system over metric system. What's irrational about that?

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

GB1

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Two kinds of nations in the world: those on the metric system, and those who have walked on the moon.

P
Originally Posted by denton
What do Myanmar, Liberia, and the United States have in common? They are the only countries in the whole world that are not on the metric system. There is a reason practically all the world is metric. It's not because the metric system is less useful than SAE.

I have never known any one fully conversant in both who preferred working in SAE rather than metric.

A system based on water. One CC equals one ML and weighs one gram, it freezes at zero and boils at 100 at sea level. 1000 ML equals a liter. 1000 MM equals a meter. 1000 meters equals a KM, or a klick for the military guys. 1000 grams is a Kg aqnd 1000 Kg is a ton. Nothing could be more logical or easier to understand than that.

We would be a lot better off if we had adopted metric with the purchase of Louisiana Territory.

The system came from France because at that time in History, France held the distinction of being the most scientifically advanced nation on Earth. Does Curie, Pascal, Laplace and Pasteur ring a bell.

I wonder why the spread sheets at work calculate in feet and tenths instead of inches?

I have been using metric interchangeably with SAE since the seventh grade. I can work with either. If I could change history, we would all be using metric.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by 12344mag
I'd much rather say I have a 36 waist than to say I had a 914.4 waist........

LOL! Why not say you have a .914 waist.?That fourth significant digit is superfluous.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Ain’t no big deal, a person would get used to it.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by RiverRider

Many are saying essentially, English system over metric system. What's irrational about that?

It's not about the preference. The "reasoning" behind the preference is faulty.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Some of us don't like the metric system.... too bad.

If I was to hazard a guess, I'd say that the vociferous metric apologists (and Imperial attackers) were all Glock shooters....

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
There are lot's of counties that use the metric system and there is one county that has it's own collection of moon rocks.

Just sayin.
And we did that in spite of our refusal to adopt metric. Americans truly were an amazing bunch of people 60 years ago.

Now they buy into every bullschitt story Biden and his Press Corp feeds them. Then they let .gov toss $100 Billion down the toilet of Ukraine to protect the personal interests of American Politicians.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by rickt300
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by Dixie_Dude
Napoleon had the metric system developed because every country he conquered had a different measuring system. From there it spread all over the world. French, Spanish, Italian, and German colonies used it. Metric is all based on 10's.

You start with a millimeter; 10 millimeters is a centimeter. 100 centimeters or 1,000 millimeters is a meter (a little longer than a yard), 1,000 meters is a kilometer (about a half mile).

1 cubic centimeter is a gram of water. 1,000 grams is a kilogram dry weight (2.2 lbs) or 1 liter of water. 1,000 liters of water is a metric ton (about 2,200 lbs).

Anything less than 1 liter of liquid weight is a milliliter or say 1 cup is about 300 milliters (ml)

Not hard to remember. Each wrench metric is based on millimeters. So the higher mm the larger the wrench.

In metric heat and cold, 0 degrees is freezing or 32 F. 100 degrees is boiling or 212 degrees F. There is also the Rankin temperature scale, and the Kelvin scale used in physics and space. 0 in Kelvin is absolute zero where everything freezes and nothing can get colder. This is like deep space far away from the sun or any star.

Fahrenheit was developed first by a Dutch scientist in the 1600's. Most countries have switched to Centigrade metric scale because water is identifiable easier. Kelvin will eventually win out if our species becomes seriously space bearing, like Startrek or Starwars, due to space being so cold between stars.

Eventually we will have to go metric if we continue to trade with other countries.

Bullschit, get them to go SAE, much better system.

Yes, because 16ths, 32nds, and 64ths are so much easier to deal with than everything being in 10ths?

You bet, not to mention the metric system breaks everything down into millimeters which are a bit smaller than needed for many projects. A 1/2' socket does anything a 12MM or 13MM socket can do. A SAE socket set has fewer sockets in it because the system is more efficient. You do not need sockets or wrenches spaced 1 millimeter apart. 1/16 is much better. You end up with more sockets or wrenches than needed with metric.

1/16 inch = 1.5875 mm

Then why does my end wrench and socket set contain fractions of x/32. You know like an 11/32 which is between 5/16 and 3/8?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What do Myanmar, Liberia, and the United States have in common? They are the only countries in the whole world that are not on the metric system. There is a reason practically all the world is metric. It's not because the metric system is less useful than SAE.

Actually if you had a clue you could see that the Metric system does not have any advantage over SAE, none and there are areas where SAE kicks Metrics azz.

Well, OK.....

How much heat energy is required to raise one quart of water 10 degrees Fahrenheit?

Vs..

How much heat energy is required to raise 1 liter of water 10 degrees C?

Or....

An object that weighs on pound on Earth is moved to a place in space where there is practically no gravity. How much force must be applied to accelerate it 10 feet/sec/sec?

Vs....

A 1 Kg object is moved to a place in space where there is practically no gravity. How much force must be applied to accelerate it 3 meters/sec/sec?

In both cases, someone who understands metric can answer the second question in 1 second flat. Try the first questions, time yourself, and let us know if it took you less than that.

Metric is vastly easier, and fully as precise as our system. But if you grew up on our system, the transition is painful. The worst situation is a helter skelter mix of the two, which is what we have in the US.

Ok, Boomer...

Ummm, wait, if'n you're a Boomer, you're sposed to be arguing how fluid ounces is more easier than milliliters. Cut that logical s--t out!

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I

An interesting thought, tell me how measuring in thousandths of an inch is harder than measuring in millimeters. And tell me how using a Metric steel tape is easier or faster than using one set up for inches.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Measuring is no different. Calculating is.

Quick, what is 1/10 of 4 ft 9 inches and 13/16"? How about "I need to cut ten pieces of 4 ft 9 inches and 13/16. How much stock should I purchase?

If the measurement was made in metric, you just move the decimal.

So, you only wish to divide by four? It is still easier to do so with a metric measurement than one which must first be converted to the lowest common denominator.

4 times twelve equals 48 inches plus 9 equals 57 inches.
57 inches times 16 equals 912 16'ths plus 13 equals 925/16'ths.

Some one check my math please. That's a lot of arithmetic. Someone is bound to make a mistake somewhere during the day.

But yes, now you are ready to multiply or divide as you need. And then you get to convert the whole mess back into feet and inches.

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
"Well, OK.....

How much heat energy is required to raise one quart of water 10 degrees Fahrenheit?

Vs..

How much heat energy is required to raise 1 liter of water 10 degrees C?"

Trick question. Ten degreesF is damn chilly and 10 degree C equals 50 degrees F.

I worked in weather for 33 years and one of thing I had to during that 33 years was inflate a big balloon and tie a parachute and radio to the thing and let it fly at 00 hour Zulu and 12 hours Zulu. That's Greenwich Mean time for those that don't know. That radio measures pressure, temperature and humidity with some balloon reaching 60K+ height in altitude which was measure IIRC in meters. Temperature data was in degrees Celsius. Interesting fact that degrees F and degrees C become the same way up yonder at minus 40 degrees. I always enjoyed working up those RAOBS. Made the time go by fast.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by PJGunner
"Well, OK.....

Vs..

How much heat energy is required to raise 1 liter of water 10 degrees C?"

Trick question. Ten degreesF is damn chilly and 10 degree C equals 50 degrees F.

PJ
It is not chilly when that delta ten degrees is from 190 F to 200 F.

It requires 10,000 calories to heat one liter of water from 30 degrees C to 40 degrees C

X
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
X
Originally Posted by MPat70
It's been a dual system my entire life so 🤷🏻‍♂️ it is what it is. Own both metric and sae tools. Metric won't go away.
The good ole days were when all you needed were SAE and I didn't have to deal so often with two sets of sockets and wrenches. Tool boxes definitely grew in size when that happend. Only thing I hold against Nixon. Add to that all the metric sockets fit on ratchets and extensions that are SAE.

Taking us off the gold standard hurt us a lot more than the metric system ever did or will.

Last edited by Xerothermic; 03/20/23.

If I talk over you, I apologize. I'm afraid I will lose my train-of-thought.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
It requires 10,000 calories to heat one liter of water from 30 degrees C to 40 degrees C

Exactly.

Now we should consider that if we want to know how quickly you did that in your head, we'd have to measure it in seconds or milliseconds. And seconds are a metric unit of measure. If you really hate metric, you'll need a different kind of watch. The Indian ghurry is a unit of time measure that you could use if you really want to get away from metric.

Be not weary in well doing.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
So I have a VERY unique job that allows me to visit hundreds of manufactures worldwide. I can assure you the imperial system is alive and well in Europe and Asia not only in their equipment but the goods they mfg. What metric countries have in common? Their women don’t know how long 20 cm is as well.

Anyways funny story… wife was determined to measure windows for blinds. She took the fat max (imperial) around the house with paper and pencil. She explained that kitchen window was 46.519” wide. I said carefully “I do not doubt you, but please show me how you arrived at that number.” She could not. Later in day used my 1/4” wood chisel to remove calcium from pipe.

Last edited by smallfry; 03/20/23.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by colodog
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by colodog
P.S, Nasa used Metric for the Apollo moon landings, not Imperial... just sayin..

Funny but they used feet and MPH for the approach and landings on the moon.

There is no way to land a lunar lander on the moon if you use meters.

Just won't work and you will be stuck in space.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Calculations and functions were metric, Display was in Imperial for obvious reasons.

Of course displays were in the Founding Fathers measurements.

This is also why those who use optics in Mils don't have good results hunting.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
The metric system is for Eurotrash, egg heads and Commies.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have taps, dies, nuts, bolts, and washers organized from 2-56 through 1/2-13.

Then I have a couple buckets marked "Metric and suspected metric"

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Some things are very intuitive in each system, but converting can cause mental backflips , Ha

Miles Per Gallon or Liters per 100 Kilometers

History May Not Repeat, But it Rhymes.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by reivertom
The metric system is for Eurotrash, egg heads and Commies.
So, What?

Is egghead a synonym for educated?

Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (35, Anaconda, Amos63, arky65, 10 invisible), 1,464 guests, and 768 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,493
Posts18,472,100
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.