Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Of course displays were in the Founding Fathers measurements.

This is also why those who use optics in Mils don't have good results hunting.
Unless the hunting is for men! They seem to do quite well in that environment!

1/3 MOA! Laugh my ass off!

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
GB1

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by denton
It requires 10,000 calories to heat one liter of water from 30 degrees C to 40 degrees C

Exactly.

Now we should consider that if we want to know how quickly you did that in your head, we'd have to measure it in seconds or milliseconds. And seconds are a metric unit of measure. If you really hate metric, you'll need a different kind of watch. The Indian ghurry is a unit of time measure that you could use if you really want to get away from metric.
It might have taken a second. I did not have to look up any conversion factors, as I learned in High School Chem class at age fifteen that 1 calorie heats one gram of water one degree.

I would have to start with Google to do the English conversion. Hell, it would be easiest to convert the water mass and temperature change to metric.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Of course displays were in the Founding Fathers measurements.

This is also why those who use optics in Mils don't have good results hunting.
Unless the hunting is for men! They seem to do quite well in that environment!

1/3 MOA! Laugh my ass off!

We all know your "Man Hunting" happens at the local dive gay bar.

The Campfire is a family forum and here such things are frowned apon.

Now if you have a picture or 2 of good results from normal hunting done with mils/metric feel free to post it up.

Keep it family friendly, pervert.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Interesting (not) how your fantasies always run to the homosexual. "Not that there's anything wrong with that" (cough).

Never claimed to have the honor of Service with armed forces. Just pointing out the fallacy and ridiculous nature of your post.

US Army, Marines, and SEALS been getting it done with mils for decades.

You may be too stupid to make the transition from English to Metric. That does not mean we all are.

I have pics of me with dead critters from the age of 6 through 60. But I sure as hell am not going to go to the effort to digitize, find a hosting site, and hang 'em here for the likes of your self aggrandizing ass.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Interesting (not) how your fantasies always run to the homosexual. "Not that there's anything wrong with that" (cough).

Never claimed to have the honor of Service with armed forces. Just pointing out the fallacy and ridiculous nature of your post.

US Army, Marines, and SEALS been getting it done with mils for decades.

You may be too stupid to make the transition from English to Metric. That does not mean we all are.

I have pics of me with dead critters from the age of 6 through 60. But I sure as hell am not going to go to the effort to digitize, find a hosting site, and hang 'em here for the likes of your self aggrandizing ass.

[Linked Image from external-content.duckduckgo.com]

That's a lot of words to just say you have never had any good results hunting with Metric/Mils optics.

A few have, most, like you, have not.

MOA optics simply rule in delivering good hunting results.

Last edited by JohnBurns; 03/20/23.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by wyoming260
Originally Posted by wabigoon
If they'd gone to it before we were born, we'd like it. A friend that ran a motor grader talked about an engineer's foot. 12 inches divided by ten for easy figuring.

All surveying and grade work is done in Tenths of feet. dumber than either Sae or metric. The federal government uses metric for road work now and it is way easier after a day of getting used to it. Most every vehicle built in the last 20 years is all metric also.....

This is NOT true anymore. I have worked on 100's of federal highway, levee, and airport projects for the federal govt. for over 20 years.... For quite a few years it was mandated by the feds in an attempt to get everyone to convert but it all ended around 2010 if I recall. If any project had federal funds tied to it, it was the rule. I have not seen any plans in metric in at least 10 years..... it was a pain in the azz converting back and forth.....also considering we already are constantly converting inches to engineers scale, adding one more was even more confusing.

I had no issues with it..... it's just a standard 100 scale like engineers scale or counting money. The decimal (100 scale ) is a must for doing percentages of grade.... we don't grade a road like a roof 1in 4 etc..... lol. We do 2% crosslopes..... run sewer lines at .00385% etc. The issue is that material suppliers work in inches... the gps in the Blade works on engineers scale and the plans are in metric..... too much converting back in forth led to too many mistakes..... Just stick with one or another and be done with it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The metric system is based on a certain fraction of the speed of light, a constant, not old arbitrary made up measurements like other systems. It should be the world's standard. But people are most comfortable using what they were taught when they were young, myself included. Our science teachers tried to teach us the metric system when I was in school in the 70s and early 80s with varying success. Some people have poor understanding of mathematics in general. Unfortunately I am one of them and I did poorly learning metric, my understanding of it is rudimentary at best. The USA should have went ahead with the changeover during the 1970's, fifty years of accommodation would have been done and everyone would have been used to metric and comfortable with it by now. It will probably never happen because of all the "we're great and superior" jingoism. Maybe better anyways at least in my lifetime, I'm too old to learn it now.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
10" huh...
That's why women make poor carpenters. They think the length of their index finger is 10" long.
]

Back in the late 60's, when I started surveying, I was told that only whores and carpenters dealt in inches. Years later when I took over a crew doing bridge surveys, I learned different. Some bridges were scheduled to be widened instead of replaced, and I had to measure the substructure in feet and inches, to see if "as built" matched the plans. Then some time later, we started measuring in metric. At one time I had all of the equipment in my trucks to measure in metric, feet and tenths, and feet and inches. Problem was most of my crew could not read a tape of any one of those. I was alwas hearing it is x number of feet so many inches and three of those other marks. Problem was some tapes were in eighths and some in sixteenth's, so then I had to ask which tape they had. I did on bridge on hwy 70 in east Arkansas three times. First time was feet and tenths, with a chain, in a book. The second time was metric in a data collector, and using an EDM to measure,and then we quit metric and instead of converting the data I went back and did it again using a data collector, and EDM in feet and tenths. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by smallfry
So I have a VERY unique job that allows me to visit hundreds of manufactures worldwide. I can assure you the imperial system is alive and well in Europe and Asia not only in their equipment but the goods they mfg. What metric countries have in common? Their women don’t know how long 20 cm is as well.

Anyways funny story… wife was determined to measure windows for blinds. She took the fat max (imperial) around the house with paper and pencil. She explained that kitchen window was 46.519” wide. I said carefully “I do not doubt you, but please show me how you arrived at that number.” She could not. Later in day used my 1/4” wood chisel to remove calcium from pipe.

My specs call for widths of 12.91", 18.1" or 6.80"...
We measure with a Stanley tape.
Pisses me off, engineering is so lazy we don't even have a tolerance range
for that customer.

So, I'm all squinty eyed trying to see the edge of a piece of ground steel against a tape,
"Just a smidge under an eighth".
Trying to get it perfect when you can't even measure perfect.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Please explain the rationale of having water freeze at 32 degrees vs 0 degrees.

That Dutch Fahrenheit guy set the freezing temperature of salt water in the bay near where he lived as “0”, the “32” and “212” things came about quite arbitrarily based upon how he set the marks on the glass thermometers he made.

The coolest thing about the Imperial system is that a “mile” come from the Latin root word “mil” ie. 1,000.

A Roman “mil” was one thousand paces. A pace is different from a step. A step is moving either foot, a pace is every time the same foot hits the ground (the marching cadence “left…. left…..” is paces, the “left, right, left” part is steps).

Posts designating mils, or thousand paces, were set up on Roman roads, a tradition we continue with mile markers today.

Other than that, IIRC in the Imperial System distance was based on body parts. When ya don’t have standardized rulers or tape ya use what ya got.

The yard was a measure of cloth, the motion of pulling it from a roll in a motion similar to drawing a bow.

“Feet” is self-explanatory but again IIRC an “inch” was based on the middle section on the index finger.

I’m guessing it was King James, who standardized the English Bible and English dictionary who standardized the Imperial system.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All the explanations and support for metric, I don’t see how it will change a damn thing. A bridge is built to cross a gap and who cares how far it is, it is a distance that is finite and meters won’t make the bridge any better.

Easier is a mindset and there are still people that wear analog watches to tell time. If you wear a digital watch, you still have to convert to analog in your mind to relate to the time of day. Who cares, it is not going to change because someone wants an easier way to tell time…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
My favorite rifle caliber is a 9.3mm. Does that count? I'd say it makes me a metric fan.

The way life should be.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Who really benefited from all this SAE/Metric stuff?
Tool manufacturers.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by TBREW401
Who really benefited from all this SAE/Metric stuff?
Tool manufacturers.

Snap-On at 120 a week from now till death....

Me

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
The argument for metric has always revolved around the arbitrary beginnings of the standardization for imperial units. It's pretty moot now because both metric and imperial measurements are standardized and controlled to very tight standards both equal. Metric has it's place. One thing is for sure, discussion always gets spirited between the two proponents. Support for metric is near nonexistent in most areas around my little part of the world. If I have to work with metric I can but I have to convert to decimal which is how I measure.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It might have taken a second. I did not have to look up any conversion factors, as I learned in High School Chem class at age fifteen that 1 calorie heats one gram of water one degree.

I would have to start with Google to do the English conversion. Hell, it would be easiest to convert the water mass and temperature change to metric.

A British thermal unit (Btu) is a measure of the heat content of fuels or energy sources. It is the quantity of heat required to raise the temperature of one pound of liquid water by 1 degree Fahrenheit at the temperature that water has its greatest density (approximately 39 degrees Fahrenheit).

[Linked Image from upload.wikimedia.org]

The cooling for the diesel engine in this vehicle was calculated with British thermal units, pencil, paper, and slide rules at paccar in Renton WA.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
We may as well get used to it, it's here to stay.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This whole threads reminds me of ancient film clip of 100 year old veterans shaking hands at Gettysburg in the 1920s

Well Ezekiel… nothin left to do but cry

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Easier is a mindset and there are still people that wear analog watches to tell time. If you wear a digital watch, you still have to convert to analog in your mind to relate to the time of day.

In my long-ago youth, I thought that people who spoke foreign languages had to mentally convert what they heard into English before they could understand what was said. (I still think so.)

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

157 members (673, 1minute, 1_deuce, 29aholic, 5sdad, 27 invisible), 2,106 guests, and 1,083 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,493
Posts18,472,081
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.