Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Easier is a mindset and there are still people that wear analog watches to tell time. If you wear a digital watch, you still have to convert to analog in your mind to relate to the time of day.

In my long-ago youth, I thought that people who spoke foreign languages had to mentally convert what they heard into English before they could understand what was said. (I still think so.)

Some do - they don't become as proficient as those who don't, IMO. You know a language when you don't flip it to your native in your head.

Me

GB1

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Anyone want to go to the old British system of Pounds, and Shillings? laugh

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image from blogger.googleusercontent.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 12344mag
I'd much rather say I have a 36 waist than to say I had a 914.4 waist........

Maybe when you were in junior high.

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Whelenman

The four years he spent in 6th grade... 🤭

IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
ah, A personal vendetta? laugh

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG

what sounds more impressive 8 in or 203.2 mm??

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by ldholton
Originally Posted by rickt300
Originally Posted by ldholton
metric systems actually fairly easy .

but I can do inches or metric no big deal but this will blow your mind then a lot of our blueprints are actually in 10th of an foot
so it looks like a lot of people here with short circuit trying to do that..

Odd the blueprints I saw and used at Bell were either metric or inch. We far preferred the latter. Fewer decimals to fool with." is less filling than MM.
I'm talking blueprints for subdivisions inner structure sewer , water storm drains , subgrade, asphalt finish grade top of curb grade etc..

Considerably looser tolerances to mess with.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Two kinds of nations in the world: those on the metric system, and those who have walked on the moon.

P
Originally Posted by denton
What do Myanmar, Liberia, and the United States have in common? They are the only countries in the whole world that are not on the metric system. There is a reason practically all the world is metric. It's not because the metric system is less useful than SAE.

I have never known any one fully conversant in both who preferred working in SAE rather than metric.

You don't get out much do you?

A system based on water. One CC equals one ML and weighs one gram, it freezes at zero and boils at 100 at sea level. 1000 ML equals a liter. 1000 MM equals a meter. 1000 meters equals a KM, or a klick for the military guys. 1000 grams is a Kg aqnd 1000 Kg is a ton. Nothing could be more logical or easier to understand than that.

So you are unable to understand the way our powder measures work, that 32F is freezing, that water boils at 212F, that a quart is 1/4th of a gallon, A half mile is a half mile, 2.2 pounds is a Kilo, 2000 pounds is a ton?

We would be a lot better off if we had adopted metric with the purchase of Louisiana Territory.

Your mental issues noted.

The system came from France because at that time in History, France held the distinction of being the most scientifically advanced nation on Earth. Does Curie, Pascal, Laplace and Pasteur ring a bell.

I wonder why the spread sheets at work calculate in feet and tenths instead of inches?

I am beginning to feel you have no clue what you are speaking of. In tight tolerances inches are broken down into thousandths of an inch. If you never noticed which is obvious when inches are broken down into thousandths then overall it mimics the metric system but with smaller values. The math is just as easy.

I have been using metric interchangeably with SAE since the seventh grade. I can work with either. If I could change history, we would all be using metric.

That said have you ever made anything with tolerances as tight as .0003?

Dog I rescued in January

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I absolutely LOVE the metric system, bring it on.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Morewood

I’m a fan of SAE. But that said, we didn’t land in the moon. At least not when Kubric’s movie came out saying we did in the 60’s.

MAGA
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG

There are other things that sound better in metric......

I am MAGA.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by RiverRider
I can't believe some of the irrational bullshit I'm reading here.

Many are saying essentially, English system over metric system. What's irrational about that?

It's not about the preference. The "reasoning" behind the preference is faulty.

For those that only dabble in math then sure the Metric system works but for those who have to apply said math then it sucks. If you ever had to work off a print that was converted to inches from metric or inches to metric you would see the light. That and still today most measuring devices are still inch. Add to this that often the smallest dimension on metric measuring devices is .5 MM which is 0.019685, kind of coarse actually when your tolerances are inside .001. .1mm is still more than .003 inch at 0.003937. Face it for making tight tolerance parts metric is not as easy to use. This all said when the inch is divided into thousandths all the way out the math is just as simple as the math for metric.

Dog I rescued in January

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by RiverRider
I can't believe some of the irrational bullshit I'm reading here.

Many are saying essentially, English system over metric system. What's irrational about that?

It's not about the preference. The "reasoning" behind the preference is faulty.

For those that only dabble in math then sure the Metric system works but for those who have to apply said math then it sucks. If you ever had to work off a print that was converted to inches from metric or inches to metric you would see the light. That and still today most measuring devices are still inch. Add to this that often the smallest dimension on metric measuring devices is .5 MM which is 0.019685, kind of coarse actually when your tolerances are inside .001. .1mm is still more than .003 inch at 0.003937. Face it for making tight tolerance parts metric is not as easy to use. This all said when the inch is divided into thousandths all the way out the math is just as simple as the math for metric.

What's the smallest metric unit of length? Hint: It's not millimeters. Millimeters are divided into micrometers, which are divided into nanometers, which are divided into picometers, then femtometers, etc. ad infinitum.

Last edited by denton; 03/21/23.

Be not weary in well doing.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Maybe in your world...
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Though I didn't use it down to the second decimal point but it accurately defines the first. During the last few years of my career every part I made was from a metric 3D model. If someone needed a 2D print I'd have to make one up using Mastercam, revert it to imperial and then dimension the part and send it off to the plotter to print off a blueprint.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
A few have, most, like you, have not.

MOA optics simply rule in delivering good hunting results.
There you go.......again, talking out your ass about that which you know nothing.

I bought a Tascco World Class MOA thirty years ago. It works just like my Leupold, Vortex, B&L, Bushnell, Burris, and Super Sniper scopes.

You check the range, check the card on the butt of the gun for hold over/under and kill anything out to 500 yds.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Two kinds of nations in the world: those on the metric system, and those who have walked on the moon.

P
What do Myanmar, Liberia, and the United States have in common? They are the only countries in the whole world that are not on the metric system. There is a reason practically all the world is metric. It's not because the metric system is less useful than SAE.

I have never known any one fully conversant in both who preferred working in SAE rather than metric.

A system based on water. One CC equals one ML and weighs one gram, it freezes at zero and boils at 100 at sea level. 1000 ML equals a liter. 1000 MM equals a meter. 1000 meters equals a KM, or a klick for the military guys. 1000 grams is a Kg aqnd 1000 Kg is a ton. Nothing could be more logical or easier to understand than that.

So you are unable to understand the way our powder measures work, that 32F is freezing, that water boils at 212F, that a quart is 1/4th of a gallon, A half mile is a half mile, 2.2 pounds is a Kilo, 2000 pounds is a ton?

We would be a lot better off if we had adopted metric with the purchase of Louisiana Territory.

The system came from France because at that time in History, France held the distinction of being the most scientifically advanced nation on Earth. Does Curie, Pascal, Laplace and Pasteur ring a bell.

I wonder why the spread sheets at work calculate in feet and tenths instead of inches?

I am beginning to feel you have no clue what you are speaking of. In tight tolerances inches are broken down into thousandths of an inch. If you never noticed which is obvious when inches are broken down into thousandths then overall it mimics the metric system but with smaller values. The math is just as easy.

I have been using metric interchangeably with SAE since the seventh grade. I can work with either. If I could change history, we would all be using metric.

The FAA has ZERO tolerance..... I've built runways and taxiways at SFO, Oakland, Sac, Fresno, and many other smaller regional airports.... it's impossible to do with 100,000 pound heavy equipment but we try and are paid by our accuracy.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Originally Posted by Morewood

I’m a fan of SAE. But that said, we didn’t land in the moon. At least not when Kubric’s movie came out saying we did in the 60’s.
Hint: Capricorn One was not a documentary.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
As addressed to me:

For those that only dabble in math

TFF

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I

P

I have not but if needed. It is just as easy to work in decimals in metric as is in SAE. .003 inches equals .00007.62 meters or .0762 mm. or 76.2 microns. Labs measure and build to micron scale regularly

Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

88 members (1OntarioJim, 41rem, 16penny, 35, afisher, 11 invisible), 1,629 guests, and 897 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,494
Posts18,472,105
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.