Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by rickt300
For those that only dabble in math then sure the Metric system works but for those who have to apply said math then it sucks. If you ever had to work off a print that was converted to inches from metric or inches to metric you would see the light. That and still today most measuring devices are still inch. Add to this that often the smallest dimension on metric measuring devices is .5 MM which is 0.019685, kind of coarse actually when your tolerances are inside .001. .1mm is still more than .003 inch at 0.003937. Face it for making tight tolerance parts metric is not as easy to use. This all said when the inch is divided into thousandths all the way out the math is just as simple as the math for metric.
Therein lies the rub. It is not the working in metric which is difficult. It is the jumping back and forth, and remembering all the conversion factors.

If the US had adopted metric 100 years ago, there would be no need for making conversions. The only time you would need to even think about an SAE measurement might be if restoring some machine 100 yrs old, made before the conversion.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
GB1

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
.03937 will forever be burned in my memory.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Phillip_Nesmith
The metric system is based on a certain fraction of the speed of light, a constant, not old arbitrary made up measurements like other systems. It should be the world's standard. But people are most comfortable using what they were taught when they were young, myself included. Our science teachers tried to teach us the metric system when I was in school in the 70s and early 80s with varying success. Some people have poor understanding of mathematics in general. Unfortunately I am one of them and I did poorly learning metric, my understanding of it is rudimentary at best. The USA should have went ahead with the changeover during the 1970's, fifty years of accommodation would have been done and everyone would have been used to metric and comfortable with it by now. It will probably never happen because of all the "we're great and superior" jingoism. Maybe better anyways at least in my lifetime, I'm too old to learn it now.

Show me where, please.

I do not think this is true as the speed of light is 2.998 x 10 to the eight power expressed in meters per second.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by denton
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by RiverRider
I can't believe some of the irrational bullshit I'm reading here.

Many are saying essentially, English system over metric system. What's irrational about that?

It's not about the preference. The "reasoning" behind the preference is faulty.

For those that only dabble in math then sure the Metric system works but for those who have to apply said math then it sucks. If you ever had to work off a print that was converted to inches from metric or inches to metric you would see the light. That and still today most measuring devices are still inch. Add to this that often the smallest dimension on metric measuring devices is .5 MM which is 0.019685, kind of coarse actually when your tolerances are inside .001. .1mm is still more than .003 inch at 0.003937. Face it for making tight tolerance parts metric is not as easy to use. This all said when the inch is divided into thousandths all the way out the math is just as simple as the math for metric.

What's the smallest metric unit of length? Hint: It's not millimeters. Millimeters are divided into micrometers, which are divided into nanometers, which are divided into picometers, then femtometers, etc. ad infinitum.

So is that really easier than adding a 0 after the decimal point? That said one micrometer jumps down to the point of being overly small at 0.00003937 inch's. .0001 equals 2.54 micrometers, which number would you rather calculate with?.001 being 25.4 micrometers which would you rather calculate with?

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Therein lies the rub. It is not the working in metric which is difficult. It is the jumping back and forth, and remembering all the conversion factors.

If the US had adopted metric 100 years ago, there would be no need for making conversions. The only time you would need to even think about an SAE measurement might be if restoring some machine 100 yrs old, made before the conversion.

Not at all metric is a boring goofy system with flaws which I have pointed out in many ways. Your claim is BS and you have yet to make your case.

Dog I rescued in January

IC B2

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Thank Gawd we didn’t buy into the French Republican Calendar either!!!

For the curious, look that up.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by wabigoon
We may as well get used to it, it's here to stay.
So is SAE.

Originally Posted by wabigoon
Anyone want to go to the old British system of Pounds, and Shillings? laugh
Eff no, it's why we beat the chit outta them decades ago - ON OUR SOIL!!!

Not to mention they have bad teeth.. laugh laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I remember sitting in High School and the teacher was talking of switching to metric. He said it would take many years to make the conversion. I asked why can't we just issue every one a new meter/measuring device and switch now. We use the new ruler to measure how much of X we need and off we go. He stood there and huffed and puffed and finally said "you just don't understand" Then changed the subject.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
So is that really easier than adding a 0 after the decimal point? That said one micrometer jumps down to the point of being overly small at 0.00003937 inch's. .0001 equals 2.54 micrometers, which number would you rather calculate with?.001 being 25.4 micrometers which would you rather calculate with?
The problem is, you are still thinking conversions.

If working in metric, that is all you do. Just move the decimal point. If you were running metric, your tolerance would not be 2.54 microns. It would be 2 microns, or 3 microns. Just as in the previous example with .003 inches.

You just move the decimal, whether working with the infinitesimally small or infinitely large.

Has anyone ever expressed the distance from Chicago to Boston in inches and decimals? No, it is miles, and rods, (admittedly archaic, but still on plats), yards, and feet. Oh yes, don't leave out furlongs.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Who cares, people don't want change, live with what you learned growing up and be happy.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RiverRider
I can't believe some of the irrational bullshit I'm reading here.

Many are saying essentially, English system over metric system. What's irrational about that?

It's not about the preference. The "reasoning" behind the preference is faulty.

You missed the joke. Think "three over four."

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

R
RPN Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I grew up with both, and don't really care which I use, as long as the lathe, mill or whatever is graduated in the same system.

A standard metric micrometer is graduated in hundredths of a millimetre, which is a smaller dimension than the thousandths of an inch a standard Imperial mic is showing. No big deal either way, and there isn't a lot outside of toolmaking that requires more accuracy than +-0.01mm (slightly smaller than half a thou).

Fabricating in mm I find easier than converting to Imperial - adding 64ths, eighths and the rest is just a pain in the butt. 620mm + 510mm is a simple thing, 2' 13/32" + 1' 6 5/64" - who needs that bs?

As for volume and weight, easy win to metric. A litre of water weighs a kilogram, a thousand of them weigh a ton and they fill a cubic metre. Thermal calcs are the same win to metric.

It's a bit like learning another language - it all seems clumsy until it falls into place, then it's easy.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
The problem is, you are still thinking conversions.

If working in metric, that is all you do. Just move the decimal point. If you were running metric, your tolerance would not be 2.54 microns. It would be 2 microns, or 3 microns. Just as in the previous example with .003 inches.

You just move the decimal, whether working with the infinitesimally small or infinitely large.

Has anyone ever expressed the distance from Chicago to Boston in inches and decimals? No, it is miles, and rods, (admittedly archaic, but still on plats), yards, and feet. Oh yes, don't leave out furlongs.

I have already said that once you start working in inches divided into thousandths them the calculations are exactly the same for both systems, just move the decimal point or add a 0. In fact you agree in saying that, metric is not easier than inch. However " is easier to type and takes fewer figures than UM or MM. One has to also admit that speed limit signs in Kilometers are hilarious.

Dog I rescued in January

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by RPN
I grew up with both, and don't really care which I use, as long as the lathe, mill or whatever is graduated in the same system.

A standard metric micrometer is graduated in hundredths of a millimetre, which is a smaller dimension than the thousandths of an inch a standard Imperial mic is showing. No big deal either way, and there isn't a lot outside of toolmaking that requires more accuracy than +-0.01mm (slightly smaller than half a thou).

Fabricating in mm I find easier than converting to Imperial - adding 64ths, eighths and the rest is just a pain in the butt. 620mm + 510mm is a simple thing, 2' 13/32" + 1' 6 5/64" - who needs that bs?

As for volume and weight, easy win to metric. A litre of water weighs a kilogram, a thousand of them weigh a ton and they fill a cubic metre. Thermal calcs are the same win to metric.

It's a bit like learning another language - it all seems clumsy until it falls into place, then it's easy.

Typically you would measure parts that long with a scale or a steel tape and either method is easy. And why would you be adding such dimensions anyway? Typically overall lengths are on the print. Adding fractions is too hard for you? Usually dimensions listed in fractions have large tolerances. The point is either way of measuring is pretty easy with the win going to SAE. By the way a thousand Kilos does not weigh a ton. That said are teaspoons, tablespoons and fractions of cups all that hard to follow? Quarts and gallon beyond your ability to grasp? Public school?

Dog I rescued in January

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Canada is metric, lumber yards still sell 2x4s, 4x8 plywood, but shingles are a meter long.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
[Linked Image from i.ebayimg.com]

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by RPN

Typically you would measure parts that long with a scale or a steel tape and either method is easy. And why would you be adding such dimensions anyway? Typically overall lengths are on the print. Adding fractions is too hard for you? Usually dimensions listed in fractions have large tolerances. The point is either way of measuring is pretty easy with the win going to SAE. By the way a thousand Kilos does not weigh a ton. That said are teaspoons, tablespoons and fractions of cups all that hard to follow? Quarts and gallon beyond your ability to grasp? Public school?

What does metric ton mean?
1000 kilograms

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
There has been a metric ton of something in this thread. grin

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
#nerdfight

MAGA
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
What is heavier?

Shît-ton of something, or a metric shït-ton?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

254 members (2500HD, 257 mag, 160user, 12344mag, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 257robertsimp, 29 invisible), 1,789 guests, and 1,150 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,495
Posts18,472,159
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.