-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I got a like new Starrett micrometer off ebay for dirt cheap.

....it was metric:(

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Clarkm
I got a like new Starrett micrometer off ebay for dirt cheap.

....it was metric:(
Now you can figure out what all of those taps are that you have in buckets... 😄

Get yourself one of these too.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gunswizard
They tried to force the metric system on us in the early 1970's, it went nowhere.

It went nowhere? ..... So you're saying Americans can't multiply or divide by 10 and get it right? LOL

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
It’ll be pennywieght or hundred pound when the Man comes around!

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
OK, an inch is three barley corns laid end, a foot is the length of a man's foot. Pure simplicity right?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by denton
Metric is vastly easier, and fully as precise as our system. But if you grew up on our system, the transition is painful. The worst situation is a helter skelter mix of the two, which is what we have in the US.

So, is it a good idea to have engineers who can only work with the "vastly easier" system designing aircraft and bridges?

Working with a slide rule can be tedious, but do we want people who don't have the capacity to deal with a slide rule designing spacecraft?

Digital calculators make arithmetic problems simple and easy, but do we want people who never develop enough number sense to solve 297^2 / 17^3 using a pencil and paper designing nuclear reactors?

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Going to cut the grass in the back meter, then I'll open up a 44 and and kill a gram.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by RiverRider
Metric is vastly easier, and fully as precise as our system. But if you grew up on our system, the transition is painful. The worst situation is a helter skelter mix of the two, which is what we have in the US.

So, is it a good idea to have engineers who can only work with the "vastly easier" system designing aircraft and bridges?

Working with a slide rule can be tedious, but do we want people who don't have the capacity to deal with a slide rule designing spacecraft?

Digital calculators make arithmetic problems simple and easy, but do we want people who never develop enough number sense to solve 297^2 / 17^3 using a pencil and paper designing nuclear reactors?

Wrong questions. Irrelevant.

You can find the number of sheep in a flock by counting the legs and dividing by four. But there is an easier way.

There are a great many engineers in the world who design aircraft and bridges using only the metric system, or use the old system only incidentally. They seem to be doing alright.

SLIDE RULE???? Dear me. 'Tis quaint. At one time, I was very proficient with mine. I keep it as a momento. Haven't had reason to seriously use it in about 50 years.

Whether a person can or can't calculate squares and quotients by hand is irrelevant to the discussion of which system is better.

I have no stake in persuading you. I'm quite happy to let you work in whatever system you like. But I do take exception when some of the other posters give foolish and uninformed reasons for their choice, or resort to name calling.

Last edited by denton; 03/21/23.

Be not weary in well doing.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
is a dozen metric eggs 1.2 dozen?

"Never attribute to malice, that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or misunderstanding."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There are a great many engineers in the world who design aircraft and bridges using only the metric system, or use the old system only incidentally. They seem to be doing alright.

...which is why they got to the moon first.

Seriously, though. This is so much like the MOA v. mils arguments. Whatever a fellow is competent with and comfortable using will work for him. There is no solid, compelling reason to force the metric system upon an unwilling country.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D

...which is why they got to the moon first.

Seriously, though. This is so much like the MOA v. mils arguments. Whatever a fellow is competent with and comfortable using will work for him. There is no solid, compelling reason to force the metric system upon an unwilling country.

On that, we heartily agree.

Be not weary in well doing.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by gunswizard
They tried to force the metric system on us in the early 1970's, it went nowhere.
It went nowhere? ..... So you're saying Americans can't multiply or divide by 10 and get it right? LOL
It’s not that they “can’t”, but that they ignorantly refuse to. Almost as if it comes from “soccer nations”!

😆😆

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by rickt300
Originally Posted by mathman
I can't believe some of the irrational bullshit I'm reading here.

An interesting thought, tell me how measuring in thousandths of an inch is harder than measuring in millimeters. And tell me how using a Metric steel tape is easier or faster than using one set up for inches.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

WTF ?

When did conthairs become mm's ?

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
Campfire Regular
Online Sick
Campfire Regular
Looked it up, there are multiple definitions of the standard meter length and those have changed over the years.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metre

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Swamplord
Originally Posted by mathman
I can't believe some of the irrational bullshit I'm reading here.

An interesting thought, tell me how measuring in thousandths of an inch is harder than measuring in millimeters. And tell me how using a Metric steel tape is easier or faster than using one set up for inches.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

WTF ?

When did conthairs become mm's ?

What does the metric system use in place of color coded ones?
"A thin blonde one?"What about time?

How does the ErroAsiaFriken [bleep] deal with time?

That's gotta hurt their little heads.
60 seconds/minute 60 min/hrs.
7 days, /week
4 weeks/month, But not even weeks, 28, 30 or 31 days. Sometimes 29

12 months of uneven days, or 52 weeks but not really......

Last edited by Dillonbuck; 03/22/23.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ironbender
It’s not that they “can’t”, but that they ignorantly refuse to. Almost as if it comes from “soccer nations”!

😆😆

There’s enough wiggle room in FIFA regs that you can have a 105m x 70m soccer pitch, but the critical goal and penalty box dimensions are still 100% Imperial.

https://sports.yahoo.com/big-world-...Ppv2CJX4tANm340czHIhzVplOnsxgApr14NX987S

Last edited by Birdwatcher; 03/22/23.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Has anyone brung up the infamous failed Mars mission yet?

What really surprises me is that Imperial units were employed anywhere in the whole process.

125 million and maybe a few careers out the window…..

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1999-oct-01-mn-17288-story.html

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Using only one system when getting my engineering degree would have nice.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
But the places with metric often have Celsius too. Which is less precise than fahrenheit.

So tell us how it's about precision and accuracy lol

Could be like 3 or four degrees colder or hotter, same temp in C
Is there an issue with measuring Celsius to the 0.001 degree C?

Please explain the rationale of having water freeze at 32 degrees vs 0 degrees.

Why is that significant?

Because mjbgalt says Celsius is less precise than Fahrenheit.

I'd like to hear how, and why.

Just told you. One degree of C could be several degrees of F...it is less precise.

Yes, but C is measured in tenths of a degree also.

And, there are only 100 degrees C between freezing and boiling points, instead of 180 degrees F which would appear to make C more precise than F, no?

It's a measuring system, just like any other measuring system. Cubits, rods and chains, parsecs, bushels and pecks, quarts and cups and ounces, etc to no end.

The difference, as I understand it, is it is in base 10 (decimal system) which makes it relatively easy to multiply and divide parts equally across the system.

Instead, certain parts of the West are still using measuring systems with differing, and somewhat more difficult to use, bases. Those, once learned and memorized, are easy enough for regular users to understand. Sometimes. I've known folks in their 40's that still have to look up how many quarts in a gallon and then how many ounces does that multiply out to. But, a liter is always 1000 milliliters. Or 100 centiliters. Or 10 deciliters. Easy peasy scheidt I tell you.

I say let's go back to

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persian_units_of_measurement

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
And, there are only 100 degrees C between freezing and boiling points, instead of 180 degrees F which would appear to make C more precise than F, no?

No.

If we're working in whole degrees then Farenheit degrees cut finer.

Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

200 members (257 mag, 2500HD, 12344mag, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 160user, 257robertsimp, 19 invisible), 1,724 guests, and 989 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,495
Posts18,472,142
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.