Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
This could get interesting.

DETROIT — The parents of a teenager who killed four students at a Michigan high school can face trial for involuntary manslaughter, the state appeals court said Thursday in a groundbreaking case of criminal responsibility for the acts of a child.

The murders would not have happened if the parents hadn't purchased a gun for Ethan Crumbley or if they had taken him home from Oxford High School on the day of the shooting, when staff became alarmed about his extreme drawings, the appeals court said.

The court noted that the legal threshold at this stage of the case is fairly low under Michigan law.

"Whether a jury actually finds that causation has been proven after a full trial, where the record will almost surely be more expansive — including evidence produced by defendants — is an issue separate from what we decide today," the court said in a 3-0 opinion.

James and Jennifer Crumbley are accused of failing to secure a gun and ignoring the mental health needs of their son before the shootings. Besides the deaths of four students, seven people were wounded.

Crumbley, 16, has pleaded guilty to terrorism and murder and could be sentenced to life in prison without parole. He was 15 at the time of the November 2021 shooting.

Attorneys for the parents insist that what would happen that day was not foreseeable. They acknowledge that bad decisions were made but not ones that should rise to involuntary manslaughter charges.

Judge Michael Riordan said parents shouldn't be hauled to court for "subpar, odd or eccentric" care of their kids. But the evidence against the Crumbleys, he added, is much more serious.

"The morning of the shooting, EC drew a picture of a body that appeared to have two bullet holes in the torso, apparently with blood streaming out of them, which was near another drawing of a handgun that resembled the gun his parents ... had very recently gifted to him," Riordan said.

It was "visual evidence" that Ethan was contemplating gunshot wounds on someone, the judge said.

The Crumbleys were summoned to school for a meeting about the drawing, but didn't take Ethan home.

The parents' lawyers declined to comment Thursday, citing a gag order. They'll likely ask the Michigan Supreme Court to review the case, particularly because that court had ordered the appeals court to hear arguments.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
A MI jury, they are toast.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
But if he wants his nuts cut off, his parents probably have no say in the matter.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bruinruin
But if he wants his nuts cut off, his parents probably have no say in the matter.
exactly what i thought .and the day is coming were they will throw parents in jail for not letting their kids get their nuts cut off ... remember this

NRA Life Member
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

No joke. WTF is wrong with this place?

LOL
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by steve4102
A MI jury, they are toast.
Oakland County is fairly conservative. It only takes one on the jury...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’m may get roasted over this but the parents are complete scumbags in this and absolutely [bleep] the bed. The school resource officer and staff were incompetent as well.

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Mac84
I’m may get roasted over this but the parents are complete scumbags in this and absolutely [bleep] the bed. The school resource officer and staff were incompetent as well.
Yup, they're a dumpster fire +P. Now if only they'd go after the parents of negros who bring weapons to school.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That’s crazy talk!

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I was in the jury pool for a murder trial in a fairly rural county. I did not get picked. But of the 12 jurors and 2 alternates selected, only 1 of the alternates had firearms experience of any significance.

It doesn't matter who you put in office or what laws you get passed, if there aren't any of us to represent, we will lose.

Politics is War by Other Means
IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Are you guys serious?

Parents buy their already troubled 15 year old a handgun and give it to him to keep and store with no restrictions on it?

I gave my kid a gun pellet gun when he was 8. Yes, it was "his" but it was fugging well locked up where he couldn't get it when he wasn't using it under my supervision.

Give your fugging heads a shake.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I too think the parents were indeed reckless. Holding an individual responsible for the actions of another, however, is too much of a stretch in my book.

I'm fine with such where one is a participant though. I.e. driving the getaway car or standing watch as crimes are committed.

1Minute
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Wannabebwana
Are you guys serious?

Parents buy their already troubled 15 year old a handgun and give it to him to keep and store with no restrictions on it?

I gave my kid a gun pellet gun when he was 8. Yes, it was "his" but it was fugging well locked up where he couldn't get it when he wasn't using it under my supervision.

What do you know about this case? Just generalities, ginned up by the prosecutor?
I wouldn't trust anything put out by the MSM on this. It reminds me too much of a guy having a "Take a number" hand grenade display, getting raided, and the news saying he had a possible destructive device explosive.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 1minute
I too think the parents were indeed reckless. Holding an individual responsible for the actions of another, however, is too much of a stretch in my book.

I'm fine with such where one is a participant though. I.e. driving the getaway car or standing watch as crimes are committed.
Exactly.

The parents may well be dimwits but they didn’t pull the trigger and didn’t expect their child to either. As someone else said if they’re going to charge these parents they need to start charging the parents of every gangbanger in Detroit and Chicago too.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Parents were dumbasses.
Dunno how much of the shooting event they can be held accountable for.
Might they go further back and imprison them for bumping uglies and making such fugged up offspring?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Originally Posted by Wannabebwana
Are you guys serious?

What do you know about this case? Just generalities, ginned up by the prosecutor?
I wouldn't trust anything put out by the MSM on this. It reminds me too much of a guy having a "Take a number" hand grenade display, getting raised, and the news saying he had a possible destructive device explosive.
He’s from Canada they don’t have nor understand that whole “Shall Not Be Infringed” thing up there.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
Originally Posted by 1minute

Exactly.

The parents may well be dimwits but they didn’t pull the trigger and didn’t expect their child to either. As someone else said if they’re going to charge these parents they need to start charging the parents of every gangbanger in Detroit and Chicago too.

Ignorance and denial are things.
But you know damn well many supposed parents know what crap is going on and just dont give a damn.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Fireball2

No joke. WTF is wrong with this place?

Pretty simple really,

Liberals.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
The parents were criminally negligent.

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
Originally Posted by Mac84
Yup, they're a dumpster fire +P. Now if only they'd go after the parents of negros who bring weapons to school.

You mean mother ? Is baby daddy really ever around ?

Last edited by mibowhunter; 03/24/23.

TB, CWD and Covid-19 , free so far.....
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1234, 160user, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 55 invisible), 1,891 guests, and 1,145 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,875
Posts18,497,647
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.