Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
C
Clynn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
At what magnification are you seeing the reticle in a second focal plane scope ?

GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
All of them. The reticle is visible through the entire range of magnifications.

Last edited by horse1; 03/25/23.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
C
Clynn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Let me ask this another way .
One of the disadvantages of a FFP scope is how small the reticle appears at very low power in a variable power scope. The reticle in a SFP scope doesn't appear small and Of course doesn't change size, so it must be magnified to a certain extent ?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It just is what it is. Any further questioning, discussion, or anaysis is pointless.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by Clynn
One of the disadvantages of a FFP scope is how small the reticle appears at very low power in a variable power scope. The reticle in a SFP scope doesn't appear small and Of course doesn't change size, so it must be magnified to a certain extent ?

In a SFP scope the reticle is between your eye and where the magnification occurs. Making it static. In a FFP it’s after the magnification so it changes sizes with the magnification.

IC B2

C
Clynn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by Wp75169

In a SFP scope the reticle is between your eye and where the magnification occurs. Making it static. In a FFP it’s after the magnification so it changes sizes with the magnification.

I get that it is static . So a SFP scope has a reticle magnification of zero and a target image of whatever power the magnification ring is set on ?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
At what magnification are you seeing the reticle in a second focal plane scope ?
Say what?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

I get that it is static . So a SFP scope has a reticle magnification of zero and a target image of whatever power the magnification ring is set on ?
The reticle is not magnified. The size of the markings (subtensions) on the reticle is set by the manufacturer, usually at max power.

C
Clynn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by SDHNTR
Say what?

You read it right .

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Say what?

You read it right .

At all magnifications. It just never changes size with variable magnification, unlike with a FFP scope.

IC B3

C
Clynn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C

The reticle is not magnified. The size of the markings (subtensions) on the reticle is set by the manufacturer, usually at max power.

I get that too .
If a FFP scope reticle is too small to be useable in timber because it gets "lost" at say 2 power , why is a SFP reticle not too small at zero magnification ?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Good luck fellas.............

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
C
Clynn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Good luck fellas.............

You guys aren't getting what I'm asking, or I'm just messing with you ?

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W

I get that too .
If a FFP scope reticle is too small to be useable in timber because it gets "lost" at say 2 power , why is a SFP reticle not too small at zero magnification ?

Because it is a fixed size from the start.

Hold a toothpick between you and a magnifying glass. No matter what magnification the glass is the toothpick looks the same. (SFP).

Hold the toothpick on the other side of the magnifying glass and it changes with different magnifications.

If that don’t help, I can’t help.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
You’re making my teeth hurt.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Maybe this will help? If you taped 2 match sticks in an x in front of the ocular lens they would be pretty thick. If you took 2 toothpicks and made an x on an identical scope the x would be less thick. If you changed the magnification of the scope it would do nothing to the size of the crosshairs. The crosshairs will cover more area on low mag than high mag but the crosshairs are not a certain mag just thick or thin and they stay that way. That wasnt great but might help?

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
What wr75169 said

C
Clynn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by eyeguy
Maybe this will help? If you taped 2 match sticks in an x in front of the ocular lens they would be pretty thick. If you took 2 toothpicks and made an x on an identical scope the x would be less thick. If you changed the magnification of the scope it would do nothing to the size of the crosshairs. The crosshairs will cover more area on low mag than high mag but the crosshairs are not a certain mag just thick or thin and they stay that way. That wasnt great but might help?

Yep somewhat . So the reticle in SFP would be the same size whether looking at it through the scope or laying in your hand , correct ?

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Possibly. I don’t know if the ocular lens has any magnification to it. But you’re on the right track.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Well I tried to attach a photo but it appears our system hasn’t changed in ten years so you get what you get. I’m not pulling out my abacus to get it done.

Last edited by Wp75169; 03/25/23.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

162 members (1beaver_shooter, 300_savage, 14idaho, 16penny, 308xray, 27 invisible), 1,486 guests, and 1,085 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,864
Posts18,478,646
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.