Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Peter Puffer Pete?

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Kelso is on Cima Hill, which is a pretty substantial grade on UP's Los Angeles and Salt Lake line from LA to, yep, Salt Lake through Vegas. Train brakes are relatively wimpy as RR's are comparatively flat compared to roadways. You have 90 pounds of air and normal air braking ranges from 6 pounds to 20 pounds of "set." And you can't recharge the brakes while they are set, you have to release them fully and let the air pumps fill the tanks.
Dynamic brakes are basically, you reverse the wiring to the drive motors which makes them generators, and they run the juice therefrom into brake grids, basically big toasters. You only get so many watts of that, so if your train goes fast enough and builds up more downhill energy than the dynamics can take, away you go.
And obviously, in this case, jumping was a smart move, even if a bunch of DUMB moves led to the speed getting past what the brakes could handle.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Dillonbuck, Note the 5th word in my first sentence..."were". Yes trucks went to spring parking/emerg brakes in the late '50's. The railroad never went to spring brakes, it's a straight air applied system with just the triple valve, service and emerg. since Westinghouse invented the triple valve in the 1870's. I used to spot hoppercars under a conveyor loader. You have to drain all the air from both tanks to move the cars with a frontend loader...when you are done loading, you manually set the brakes with the handwheel until the engine gets there and refills the system.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
How many illegals are inside? Hundreds? Thousands?

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Originally Posted by BFaucett
Originally Posted by FreeMe
Originally Posted by 22250rem
Originally Posted by jaguartx
So why did they have to jump off?
......... That was my first thought as well. Three pages into this thread and I still haven't heard an explanation for it.

There's a grade involved, right? If they haven't handled the air brakes correctly (or some other problem that depletes the air) they can lose any ability to control the speed on a grade. We refer to it as "pissing away your air". Once you let that happen, in many cases, jumping is your only option. Usually, it starts and gets critical before you get much over 25mph.

What about dynamic braking?
Rail air brake systems were the basis of what the trucking industry uses today. When you run LOW on service system air, the triple valve on each car senses low air pressure in the 'train line' (supply) and uses the isolated emergency tank to make the brakes apply, independent from the operator...you can't move that car or train until air is restored. It is pretty fool proof...I'm having trouble believing 55 cars failed.

Yeah...No, that's not how it works. Skinner's explanation is the simple version. When you piss away the air, the whole whole train brake system fails. Every locomotive engineer who runs in grade territory is fully aware of how this happens.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
......... That was my first thought as well. Three pages into this thread and I still haven't heard an explanation for it.

There's a grade involved, right? If they haven't handled the air brakes correctly (or some other problem that depletes the air) they can lose any ability to control the speed on a grade. We refer to it as "pissing away your air". Once you let that happen, in many cases, jumping is your only option. Usually, it starts and gets critical before you get much over 25mph.

Rail air brake systems were the basis of what the trucking industry uses today. When you run LOW on service system air, the triple valve on each car senses low air pressure in the 'train line' (supply) and uses the isolated emergency tank to make the brakes apply, independent from the operator...you can't move that car or train until air is restored. It is pretty fool proof...I'm having trouble believing 55 cars failed.

Yeah...No, that's not how it works. Skinner's explanation is the simple version. When you piss away the air, the whole whole train brake system fails. Every locomotive engineer who runs in grade territory is fully aware of how this happens.

In a truck - air gone, it fails to a status of "brakes are locked up - can't roll" - is it opposite on a train? No air = no brakes?

Me

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I used to work for a trucking company. Drivers would come through during the night and drop off trailers. They'd be sitting on the lot with the brakes set. In cold snowy weather, friction heat would make the brakes wet and when locked, they'd freeze the shoes to the drums. When you put the air to them, they wouldn't release. You'd have to get under them with a hammer and beat on the shoes until the vibration broke the ice free and they'd pop open.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I searched a bit but didn't find what I think I remember, a runaway train years ago in California. It got hauling butt downhill and couldn't make a slight corner, derailed, anybody remember that?

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
Commiefornia- - - -WGAF?

That was my thoughts too.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
IC B3

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by rainshot
It's just a matter of time until we have a really big catastrophe involving a train. there used to be car limits in populated areas as well as roll by speed limits. Not anymore. They have relaxed the rules to allow the railroads to do just about anything they want.

Gee, I wonder why? wink

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Teal

In a truck - air gone, it fails to a status of "brakes are locked up - can't roll" - is it opposite on a train? No air = no brakes?

It's not the same as trucks, and it's just not that simple.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Look - I don't care to explain in detail how the train brake system works. Just take my word for it, there isn't anything weird about this wreck. It's something that can happen due to certain mechanical problems or simple operator error. It's genesis is the archaic century old brake system, which is also one of the reasons why a guy can't just walk in off the street and be a freight locomotive engineer.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 160user, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 77 invisible), 2,633 guests, and 1,326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,477
Posts18,471,593
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.