Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 50 of 108 1 2 48 49 50 51 52 107 108
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Can I read the entirety of the Old Testament and the book of Matthew and know enough to receive salvation?? I am so confused if I read very far past that. And I'm doubly confused if I listen to Christians that cannot agree with each other.

I think I understand the "fear of the Lord" to mean the respect of the Lord.

I about have to agree with the Jehovah Witnesses that a literal hell as a place of eternal punishment doesn't jive with the God I perceive. I could understand destruction but not eons and eons forever stoking the fires of hell. Just doesn't make sense.

And once again there are billions of people dead and gone that never heard of a Jewish Messiah overriding the religious kingpins of the day and riding into Jerusalem on a donkey to run the money men out of the temple and cause an insurrection that ended up with the Messiah being hung alive on a pole.

Does anyone think maybe reincarnation could take care of the never hearing of Jesus problem?

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
GB1

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The idea of Reincarnation doesn't solve learning from one's mistakes because nothing is remembered from one life to the other, where an entirely different person is born, male or female, deformed or healthy....

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DBT
The idea of Reincarnation doesn't solve learning from one's mistakes because nothing is remembered from one life to the other, where an entirely different person is born, male or female, deformed or healthy....
I understand that but it might cure the problem of not being in a position to ever hear of the Jewish covenant and the Messiah Jesus that came and from what I can tell was open to everyone coming into the covenant while exposing the frauds that were the Jewish hierarchy of the day. Read chapter 66 of Isaiah and tell me what you make of it if you are so inclined.

antlers Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hastings
Can I read the entirety of the Old Testament and the book of Matthew and know enough to receive salvation??
If you’re askin’ me, the answer is yes…IF you’re putting your trust and confidence for your salvation in the grace of Jesus alone…and NOT by depending on not eatin’ pork chops and frog legs, and NOT by obeying the sabbath (for examples).

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
antlers Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
And I'm doubly confused if I listen to Christians that cannot agree with each other.
Do you also get confused if you listen to conservatives that cannot agree with each other…? Or do you also get confused if you listen to economists that cannot agree with each other…? Or do you also get confused if you listen to bureaucrats in the wildlife department that cannot agree with each other…?

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by antlers
And I'm doubly confused if I listen to Christians that cannot agree with each other.
Do you also get confused if you listen to conservatives that cannot agree with each other…? Or do you also get confused if you listen to economists that cannot agree with each other…? Or do you also get confused if you listen to bureaucrats in the wildlife department that cannot agree with each other…?
Somewhat

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

Considering the immense importance of the message, you'd think the all-loving message giver would be happy to provide clarification, but seems to be happy to condemn to eternal hellfire those that misunderstand the message. Can't help bad luck I suppose.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AKA_Spook
Originally Posted by Ringman
Only those who call on the Name of Jesus. God's Word teaches "All who call on the Name Of Jesus will be saved."

Ringman, I truly dont mean to be difficult.

It is my understanding that our Creator (Yaweh) made himself human and when born to The Virgin Mary, was named Yeshua. ??

This is where it gets tricky: (Charles Stanley reference) Is calling on Jesus not the same as calling on God?

As in , When someone in his/her desperate misery cries out "God help me!" Isnt the involvement of Christ automatic , in that God , Jesus , and The Father, The Holy Spirit etc are essentially the same entity?
This isnt gotcha, I am seriously interested in what your call is with regard to this. Thanks

It late for me. Unlike my wife, it is necessary I get 10 hours of sack time. Lord willing I'll answer your post tomorrow.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
.. the Messiah Jesus that came and from what I can tell was open to everyone coming into the covenant.

Jesus before crucifixion preached for the Jews alone
..it wasn't until after supposed resurrection that he
allegedly said to then go preach to the gentiles.

So Why didn't he include the gentiles during his
actual ministry?..perhaps gentiles were later
included not by Jesus , but by a certain shifty
operator with his own agenda , despite never
having met a Jesus.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT
I understand that but it might cure the problem of not being in a position to ever hear of the Jewish covenant and the Messiah Jesus that came and from what I can tell was open to everyone coming into the covenant while exposing the frauds that were the Jewish hierarchy of the day. Read chapter 66 of Isaiah and tell me what you make of it if you are so inclined.

A Prophet writingfor his own time, place and events;

Isaiah’s vision

''The earliest recorded event in his life is his call to prophecy as now found in the sixth chapter of the Book of Isaiah; this occurred about 742 bce. The vision (probably in the Jerusalem Temple) that made him a prophet is described in a first-person narrative.

According to this account he “saw” God and was overwhelmed by his contact with the divine glory and holiness.

He became agonizingly aware of God’s need for a messenger to the people of Israel, and, despite his own sense of inadequacy, he offered himself for God’s service: “Here am I! Send me.”

He was thus commissioned to give voice to the divine word. It was no light undertaking; he was to condemn his own people and watch the nation crumble and perish''

https://www.britannica.com/biography/Isaiah/Isaiahs-theology

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DBT
Isaiah’s vision. ......

According to this account he “saw” God and was overwhelmed by his contact with the divine glory and holiness. ...

Hmmm..g0d must have changed the rules?
Moses was told that he cannot be permitted
to see g0ds face for it is impossible for a mere
mortal to see God and live.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Considering the immense importance of the message, you'd think the all-loving message giver would be happy to provide clarification, .

Aramaic Jesus didn't even bother to record anything himself
instead leaving it to some non-witness anonymous authors of
future generations in a different region of the Empire and in
Koine Greek...creating gospels that conflict.

Trust the spirit they say?..well we get far more
conflict and mixed messages from those claiming
the spirit than we get from scripture.

Any claim of hearing , seeing or walking with g0d
you can pretty much put in the trash...such claims
have no more credibility or verification than those
like claims made by K.Copeland or B.Hinn.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by krp
Spirits? I don't talk spirits... the Holy Spirit and spiritual instruction.

No mysticism, magical beasts, hordes of demons...

My faith is pretty boring.

Kent

Can you point to the epistles of the New Testament and demonstrate through the writing of the Apostles where this doctrine and practice is taught?

Last edited by IZH27; 04/03/23.
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Christianity clearly preceded the Christian Bible; that’s historical fact. The reason that we even have the Christian Bible is because of the resurrection of Jesus; that’s historical fact. There were many Christians before the New Testament documents were even written in the first century; that’s historical fact. And there were also many Christians before the Christian Bible was assembled in the fourth century; that’s historical fact.

The men and women who actually knew Jesus personally and chose to follow Him...like Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Peter, James, Andrew, Mary, Martha, and Paul...followed Him without a Christian Bible; there wasn’t one; there were no New Testament manuscripts either. And yet they still received salvation. And they were the men and women whose Christian faith laid the groundwork for the evangelization of the entire world.

Some clearly seem to think that Christianity depends upon the Christian Bible. I don’t. It doesn’t. Christianity would still be true even if every Christian Bible and New Testament manuscript in the world were non-existent.

None of these facts are denying the importance of the Christian Bible. I’m simply saying that the Christian Bible is NOT the foundation of the Christian faith. And it never has been.

There’s nothing complicated about that. It’s just the truth. I didn’t make it the truth. It just is. It’d still be the truth if I’d never even mentioned it.

No. It isn’t the truth. It is a very skewed and personal narrative that stands against the reality and history of the church. For the above to be true it is necessary to deconstruct the history and events of the OT and NT and then rebuild the narrative. It appears that this is what you have done. Such an approach reeks of post modernism.

The Christian Bible is 66 books. Christ said to the Pharisees and scribes that the books of the OT testified about Him. Christ is literally throughout the OT text yet you deny his very teaching about the scripture from which He and the Apostles preached the message of the Gospel; Christ.

You seem not to view scripture as being necessary. Based on your view the message of the Gospel is some organic spiritual experience or event?

Do you also believe that scripture is errant and insufficient?

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
antlers Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
IZH27,

the truth is nothing to be angry about,…it’s just the truth. You clearly don't want to believe the truth,…you want the truth to be what you believe.

As has been so eloquently pointed out already, “you have clearly been consistently in search of your faith, which confuses you when seeing the steady faith of others.”

Yeah, Jesus quoted scripture to people who already accepted the authority of the Old Testament. But when He spoke to unbelievers like the woman at the well, the rich young ruler, Pilate, and the thief on the cross, Jesus wasn’t firing Old Testament verses at em’. And Paul wasn’t quoting from the Old Testament when he was speaking to the Athenians...but instead attempted to find common ground with them, even quoting their own poets and recognizing their “unknown God” beliefs...in order to connect them with the reality of the one true God and the truth of Jesus’ resurrection.

You clearly place 'all' of the emphasis of the Christian faith on the Bible, even though the foundation of Christianity is 'not' the Bible. The foundation of Christianity is the reality of Jesus, and His Resurrection. Period.

You don't exist 'because of' your birth certificate. Your birth certificate exists because of 'you'. It documents something that happened. If there are inaccuracies on your birth certificate, it doesn't negate the reality of your existence.

Christianity does not exist 'because of' the Bible...anymore than you exist 'because of' your birth certificate.

God does not 'only' speak through the Bible. He reveals Himself to His followers in ways that have 'nothing' to do with the Bible.

The foundation of the Christian faith is 'not' the Bible. The foundation of the Christian faith is 'not' the infallibility or inerrancy of the Bible. The foundation of the Christian faith is something that happened in history...Jesus came to the earth and walked upon it, represented God, was God, and procured our salvation through His death and resurrection. Period.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Please don’t misrepresent me. Reading comprehension of what I wrote has been disengaged
By KRP and yourself.

Why do you deny the words of Christ and the well recorded history of the church regarding the veracity of scripture?

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by IZH27
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

Can you point to the epistles of the New Testament and demonstrate through the writing of the Apostles where this doctrine and practice is taught?

“I want you to know, brothers and sisters, that the gospel I preached is not of human origin. I did not receive it from any man, nor was I taught it; rather, I received it by revelation from Jesus Christ. For you have heard of my previous way of life in Judaism, how intensely I persecuted the church of God and tried to destroy it. I was advancing in Judaism beyond many of my own age among my people and was extremely zealous for the traditions of my fathers. But when God, who set me apart from my mother’s womb and called me by his grace, was pleased to reveal his Son in me so that I might preach him among the Gentiles, my immediate response was not to consult any human being. I did not go up to Jerusalem to see those who were apostles before I was, but I went into Arabia. Later I returned to Damascus. Then after three years, I went up to Jerusalem to get acquainted with Cephas and stayed with him fifteen days. I saw none of the other apostles—only James, the Lord’s brother. I assure you before God that what I am writing you is no lie.”

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by krp
Originally Posted by IZH27
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

“I want you to know, brothers and sisters, that the gospel I preached is not of human origin. I did not receive it from any man, nor was I taught it; rather, I received it by revelation from Jesus Christ. For you have heard of my previous way of life in Judaism, how intensely I persecuted the church of God and tried to destroy it. I was advancing in Judaism beyond many of my own age among my people and was extremely zealous for the traditions of my fathers. But when God, who set me apart from my mother’s womb and called me by his grace, was pleased to reveal his Son in me so that I might preach him among the Gentiles, my immediate response was not to consult any human being. I did not go up to Jerusalem to see those who were apostles before I was, but I went into Arabia. Later I returned to Damascus. Then after three years, I went up to Jerusalem to get acquainted with Cephas and stayed with him fifteen days. I saw none of the other apostles—only James, the Lord’s brother. I assure you before God that what I am writing you is no lie.”

So you equate yourself with the Apostle Paul?

I didn’t ask for an account of Paul’s experience. I asked for clear Apostolic teaching from their writings which instructs the church and believers along the lines of your doctrines.

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Paul isn't God, he's a man... I'm a man... ya we equate.

Every example I give you you will find fault in... you will change the goal posts from Epistles to Apostolic to whatever.

The Holy Spirit is throughout the NT, you have no authority to deny it to anyone, to contain it in your prerogative. You speak of the Holy Spirit in another's life as if it's a sin.

I feel sorry for you and the bitterness you live in.

Kent

Page 50 of 108 1 2 48 49 50 51 52 107 108

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (219 Wasp, 257man, 219DW, 10ring1, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 43 invisible), 1,855 guests, and 1,180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,219
Posts18,524,559
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.