Print Thread
Hop To
Page 79 of 108 1 2 77 78 79 80 81 107 108
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Originally Posted by Ringman
I think I figured out this Holy Spirit thing you guys post about: If it feels good do it If it doesn't feel good don't do it. Does that sound about right?

Nope….you’re further away than before.

Ringman….You have no problem asking questions and demanding answers but why won’t you answer my question? Are you being intentionally dense?

Just answer my question without being defensive or rude…..

Ringman….Do you think your examples are walking in the spirit? If the lady wasn’t healed or the skies hadn’t cleared would they still be examples of walking in the spirit?

If I'm not being "intentionally dense" then I'm too dense to understand your question.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by IZH27
Originally Posted by antlers
Regarding the OP: Do you guys think that following Jesus leads to, not just eternal life, but to a fulfilling life in the here and now…?

Is Christianity just the consumption of theology and Bible reading, or is it also a way of living…?

Is there a difference between believing in Jesus, and following Jesus…?

More pointedly, is believing how you become a Christian, and is following how you be a Christian…?

Following Jesus doesn’t lead to eternal life. There are many examples of people who follow Jesus, attempt to live the moral life that he lived, yet are not saved. It can be argued that the Pharisees did this as well as LDS and Watchtower Society. As Jesus told Nicodemus, one must be born again. One must also be baptized into the death of Christ.

Joel Osteen wrote the book Best Life Now. Colossal failure that has nothing to do with Christianity. When this question comes up I think of the underground church behind the iron curtain or in China. Persecuted, given poor jobs. Hand to mouth living. Many Christian’s lived in persecution throughout history. Not the best or necessarily fulfilling life.

As Christian’s we live in the hope of the resurrection. In that day life will be fulfilling and truly best. Now? It’s too easy to mix the idea of affluence and social stability with the idea.

Christianity is primarily based on knowledge. In Romans 10 14How then will they call on him in whom they have not believed? And how are they to believe in him of whom they have never heard?c And how are they to hear without someone preaching? 15And how are they to preach unless they are sent? As it is written, “How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the good news!”

The message has to be heard which requires knowledge. Later in Paul speaks a lot about the weaker brother. The weaker brother is the one who is ignorant of the faith, has know knowledge or immature knowledge of the word and instruction given. These people seem to remain superstitious and emotional.

Knowledge drives the life and walk. Lack of knowledge drives the walk down dead ends and wrong directions. When the early church was found to be in error in their living and walk it was always a lack of knowledge or ignoring of the knowledge that they had been given. It was always knowledge that they were given though the instruction and sometimes chastisement of the Apostles.

Many believe in Jesus but not as Messiah and Savior. To follow Jesus one must be regenerate.

Becoming and being. If one becomes a Christian one is a Christian. He who began a good work in you will be faithful to complete it. We look to Christ. The Author and Finisher of our faith. If one is baptized into the death of Christ and is given the gift of faith he has belief. He is a Christian. Questions of following can quickly become issues of tests and requirements.

Great post. Thanks.

Everyday Hunter
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I think I figured out this Holy Spirit thing you guys post about: If it feels good do it If it doesn't feel good don't do it. Does that sound about right?

Ringman….You have no problem asking questions and demanding answers but why won’t you answer my question? Are you being intentionally dense?

Ringman….Do you think your examples are walking in the spirit? If the lady wasn’t healed or the skies hadn’t cleared would they still be examples of walking in the spirit?

If I'm not being "intentionally dense" then I'm too dense to understand your question.

Then let me ask the question in a different way.

Is it the results you get that determines if you were walking in the Spirit, or is it your actions and motivations regardless of results that determine if you were walking in the Spirit?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RHClark

What are you seeking to accomplish here? Are you attempting to prove that knowledge of scripture is necessary to be acting "in the Spirit?" Are you just promoting yourself as more attune to what "walking in the Spirit" means because of seemingly miraculous results or your greater knowledge of scripture. Pride comes before the fall.

Nobody said do what feels right. That could mean nearly anything to nearly anybody. I also hope you understand that a lot what "feels good" to an unsaved man, changes when he gets saved.

I am as serious as a heart attack. The people I have personally met and lived around use 2 Corinthians 3:6. They see no problem committing adultery with someone else in the "church". Others cheat on their taxes. They exceed the speed limit. Are these examples I should follow?

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Is it the results you get that determines if you were walking in the Spirit, or is it your actions and motivations regardless of results that determine if you were walking in the Spirit?

That is a very clear and good question. I am convinced if one is walking in the Spirit of the Holy Spirit as Apostle John says, "If we walk in the Light as He is in the Light...." ones "actions and motivations" will be to please Jesus. I hope you can understand my next statement. If there is only one person saved it is me. I know my heart. Many people tell me, "So, you're the only Christian?" They didn't listen and are on the attack. Each of us needs to check our own lives.

Everyday Hunter
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R

What are you seeking to accomplish here? Are you attempting to prove that knowledge of scripture is necessary to be acting "in the Spirit?" Are you just promoting yourself as more attune to what "walking in the Spirit" means because of seemingly miraculous results or your greater knowledge of scripture. Pride comes before the fall.

Nobody said do what feels right. That could mean nearly anything to nearly anybody. I also hope you understand that a lot what "feels good" to an unsaved man, changes when he gets saved.

I am as serious as a heart attack. The people I have personally met and lived around use 2 Corinthians 3:6. They see no problem committing adultery with someone else in the "church". Others cheat on their taxes. They exceed the speed limit. Are these examples I should follow?

Of course not, but that has nothing to do with anything we are talking about. All people sin in all kinds of ways at all times. Christians sometimes sin and sometimes follow the leading of the Holy Spirit. If they follow that leading, they will live better lives and be less miserable. If they continue in sin, then they either didn't care except about being caught in which case we would have to question whether they were really saved or not, or they are under conviction about doing it but making up excuses about why to justify it to themselves.

I can't accept though that anyone is going to church and involved in adultery and sees no problem with it. At least to the extent that they would admit and confess it proudly. They may be justifying it in their own minds as OK. Maybe the guy's wife hasn't had sex with him in a year or more. He might justify adultery but if he is saved in his heart, he knows it's wrong. That's sort of the definition of being saved.

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R

That is a very clear and good question. I am convinced if one is walking in the Spirit of the Holy Spirit as Apostle John says, "If we walk in the Light as He is in the Light...." ones "actions and motivations" will be to please Jesus. I hope you can understand my next statement. If there is only one person saved it is me. I know my heart. Many people tell me, "So, you're the only Christian?" They didn't listen and are on the attack. Each of us needs to check our own lives.

I totally agree. I would only add that it's so important to check "OUR OWN" lives and do our best to only offer encouragement to anyone we think is truthfully seeking, no matter how wrong they get it. Everybody is at different places in their walk with God. Something you may become convicted over may go unnoticed by someone else. God may have them under conviction about something he considers more important to them at this time.

I think it is so much more important for we as preachers to teach people how to hear from God for themselves, rather than telling them what God said.

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K

Again, physical/world issues, not spiritual.

Kent

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by IZH27
Originally Posted by antlers
Regarding the OP: Do you guys think that following Jesus leads to, not just eternal life, but to a fulfilling life in the here and now…?

Is Christianity just the consumption of theology and Bible reading, or is it also a way of living…?

Is there a difference between believing in Jesus, and following Jesus…?

More pointedly, is believing how you become a Christian, and is following how you be a Christian…?

Following Jesus doesn't lead to eternal life

Says who?

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
antlers Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I think it is so much more important for we as preachers to teach people how to hear from God for themselves,…
word

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
I totally agree. I would only add that it's so important to check "OUR OWN" lives and do our best to only offer encouragement to anyone we think is truthfully seeking, no matter how wrong they get it. Everybody is at different places in their walk with God. Something you may become convicted over may go unnoticed by someone else. God may have them under conviction about something he considers more important to them at this time.

I think it is so much more important for we as preachers to teach people how to hear from God for themselves, rather than telling them what God said.

I will have to respectfully disagree with that last statement. If someone doesn't know what God said, and believe it, then they will "hear" things they think are from God that aren't. Without the written word as a check or baseline, “feelings” can masquerade as the Holy Spirit. If what you think or feel is the Holy Spirit conflicts with scripture, then it isn’t the Holy Spirit speaking to you. I think it’s sort of like the Constitution: if a law conflicts with the Constitution, then it’s not a law that should be allowed to stand. If you substitute the words "in addition to" in place of "rather" in your statement, I would be more inclined to agree with you.

A lot of problems in churches and in society in general could be solved if feelings were replaced with facts.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
You are not filled with the constitution you learn it... you can't learn the Holy Spirit.

Kent

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by krp

Again, physical/world issues, not spiritual.

Kent

If you are convinced these are only physical, we have different ideas of how the spirit world and the physical world exists.

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by There_Ya_Go

I will have to respectfully disagree with that last statement. If someone doesn't know what God said, and believe it, then they will "hear" things they think are from God that aren't. Without the written word as a check or baseline, “feelings” can masquerade as the Holy Spirit. If what you think or feel is the Holy Spirit conflicts with scripture, then it isn’t the Holy Spirit speaking to you. I think it’s sort of like the Constitution: if a law conflicts with the Constitution, then it’s not a law that should be allowed to stand. If you substitute the words "in addition to" in place of "rather" in your statement, I would be more inclined to agree with you.

A lot of problems in churches and in society in general could be solved if feelings were replaced with facts.

Fantastic post!

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

About fifty years ago my brother sent me a Living Bible. I read It and believed It. Within two years I became a baptized believer. A few minutes ago I gave him your excellent question. After a little while he called back and told me, "The answer is both."

What do you think of this answer?

Everyday Hunter
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
So what's the speed limit in eternity, tax brackets, do you believe there will be orgasms there?

Kent

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R

Let me then add that a good part of teaching anyone to hear from God would also include reading scripture. I thought that would be a given. I'm not talking about going and sitting a cave and trying to hear from God.

You cannot however place an unhealthy emphasis on scripture, as in an attitude of, "I have to learn scripture to know what God wants me to do." If you take that approach, you will always be living your life based on what God told someone else. You will end up like the Pharisees, who placed the written word of their time, "the law" above the man for whom the law was intended to help.

I mean honestly, if you see someone in need that you could truly help, without being an un dew burden to yourself, do you need to know the scripture concerning that to act? Don't you know in your heart what to do? isn't this the end goal?

Hebrews 8:10-11
New International Version
10 This is the covenant I will establish with the people of Israel
after that time, declares the Lord.
I will put my laws in their minds
and write them on their hearts.
I will be their God,
and they will be my people.
11 No longer will they teach their neighbor,
or say to one another, ‘Know the Lord,’
because they will all know me,
from the least of them to the greatest.

Last edited by RHClark; 04/19/23.
antlers Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
“Follow Me.” - Jesus

He said it a buncha times in the Gospels. He used those two simple words to extend His invitation to others to be His disciples. I believe that He still extends that same simple invitation to others to be His disciples today.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T

Let me then add that a good part of teaching anyone to hear from God would also include reading scripture. I thought that would be a given. I'm not talking about going and sitting a cave and trying to hear from God.

You cannot however place an unhealthy emphasis on scripture, as in an attitude of, "I have to learn scripture to know what God wants me to do." If you take that approach, you will always be living your life based on what God told someone else. You will end up like the Pharisees, who placed the written word of their time, "the law" above the man for whom the law was intended to help.

I mean honestly, if you see someone in need that you could truly help, without being an un dew burden to yourself, do you need to know the scripture concerning that to act? Don't you know in your heart what to do? isn't this the end goal?

I will be their God,
from the least of them to the greatest.

In your scenario, it depends on what kind of help they need. If it's something physical, I would certainly agree that you don't need to know scripture to help someone; the Good Samaritan comes to mind. In fact, a lot of people get help from non-Christians; so simply helping people is not the be all and end all. None are righteous. But if it's spiritual help that's needed, then having scripture to guide your counsel is paramount, though I'm not saying being able to quote scripture is a requirement in order to help someone.

The whole Bible is nothing but God telling things to and through other people; surely you aren't saying that we shouldn't/can't base our lives on what God said to them. What else are we basing our faith on? But if you are saying that the Bible is not a self-help book comprised of a bunch of to-do lists, then I totally agree. To me, the only way there can be an unhealthy emphasis on scripture is if there is an unhealthy view of scripture, which can certainly happen.

I get and agree with you that we should not become like the Pharisees, so perhaps I am just misunderstanding your choice of words.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
[quote=RHClarkLet me then add that a good part of teaching anyone to hear from God would also include reading scripture. I thought that would be a given. I'm not talking about going and sitting a cave and trying to hear from God.

I will be their God,
from the least of them to the greatest.[/quote]

You remind me of the couple I posted about before. She was very modest in her attire. An older couple suggested she and her husband pray about it. She started wearing low cut blouses with no sleeves. Is that what we should expect from the Holy Spirit?

Everyday Hunter
Page 79 of 108 1 2 77 78 79 80 81 107 108

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (257Bob, 219 Wasp, 22magnut, 257man, 10gaugemag, 52 invisible), 1,825 guests, and 1,160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,242
Posts18,524,949
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.