Hop To
L
liam Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Hey folks,

Wow, I haven't posted in almost a year, although I've lurked some in the meantime. Last year this time, I was in the Seattle area, having struck out on black powder elk out around Forks in October '06, but having taken my first two deer back in Kentucky on my brother-in-law's hunting property. Well, in the intervening time, I've moved home. I live just outside of Clarksville, TN now, an hour and a half down I24 from my home in Western KY, and an hour up the road from Nashville where I work.

Not that anyone cares ... wink

But I've been so busy that I missed the KY modern gun season, that I had been looking forward to. However, we have the late muzzleloader season coming soon, so this weekend I'm heading to the range a couple of times with my Lyman Deerstalker .54 percussion to check the sights and knock the rust off my technique.

There are about 10 different bucks of decent size on my brother-in-law's place right now, including one really big one. He and his buddy have just been bowhunting all season, and haven't gotten a good shot on the big guy. I just want some meat, and will gladly take a doe, of which there are plenty. Just getting back into the woods will be enough, too, even if my luck dries up.

It's good to be home. Although I will admit that back in October, I sort of wished I was carrying the .54 way out on some tree farm outside of Forks, looking for elk. Maybe I'll take a trip back there someday ...

Anyway, all the best to all of y'all. I'm enjoying reading about how your seasons have gone, and what trips / plans you have going on.

Regards,
Liam

Last edited by liam; 11/30/07.
GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
good luck.and have fun with your muzzle loader . I am going out in the morning with my oldest boy. Been watching a couple does.should be a fun hunt with him.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Welcome back, muzzie in the morning for myself also.
Good luck, hope ya get MR BIG

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought a traditions flintlock in 50 cal a few years back and have hooked a number of people on BP including the shootist. He has moved on to bigger and badder single shots but I think he may still be a closet smokey
Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would love to get into the muzzle loader. I hate to ask which is the best one to avoid starting a war. I dont know shinola about them.

"Its a Model 70 thing, you probably wouldn't understand!"

The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no
responsibility at the other.
-Ronald Reagan

IC B2

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
savage!!

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I like the Savage as well. Very nice guns. If you are looking for a lower priced option to start. I like the CVA. I have one of the Buckhorn 50 Cal magnums. It shoots as well as any I have seen. If i had to do it over i would get one of the bolt actions models. instead of the Buckhorn.. I would also think about one of the new break actions. When I bought mine the only break action was the TC Encore and I could not afford it. Best of luck. BP shooting is a blast. My other advise would be get a scope with decent eye relief, cause a 150 grain load can send the eye piece right in to your eye brow.. I have a nice scar from sighting mine in one day. M8x57

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I felt the same way several years ago...(not going to mention brand names or action types) but it ain't rocket science, jest go get one. They are really a blast to shoot and hunt with...grin

L
liam Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Thanks for the welcome and the kind words, folks. Nice to be back.

As for which smokepole to get, well, first thing you need to ask yourself is where you fall on the sort of 'traditional / modern' scale. I personally, while not being a 'purist' by any stretch, just get a kick out of shooting a sidelock percussion rifle with a peep sight, shooting patched round balls or maxi conicals. Others prefer the modern rifles with scopes shooting saboted bullets. Lots of great rifles out there, no matter the direction you take with regards to modern or traditional, or somewhere in between. Ask over in the muzzleloader forum on this board, and I'm sure you'll get a lot of info!

All the best,
Liam

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

514 members (1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 1badf350, 55 invisible), 2,177 guests, and 1,187 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,283
Posts18,505,128
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.