Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
Last fall I purchased a Win 70 pushfeed XTR in 7RM as a gift to my son. (gunbroker) Very, very pleased with the gun, on arrival. The pics were very representative.

Until I cleaned the bore thoroughly and ran the bore scope. Holy crap! Crater City! Not so much alligator skin, as huge craters. I have never seen anything like it. I wish I had taken some pics.

Shaw received the Rifle Dec 3, they are shipping it back today.

I could not remove the rear Redfield style scope base. I just twisted off the Torx driver.

So Shaw removed that scope base, replaced the barrel at 26 inches, chambered it for 7mm RM, polished and reblued the barreled action.

The bill came in at less than $600.

I have 100 pieces of new brass, a couple boxes of "Midway 2'nds" 150 gr polymer tipped, boat tail w/ cannalure, H1000, H 4831, Magnum and CCI 250s available. Something should come together.

After a quick look at the new Nosler Manual, I wish I had some IMR 4831. But I have not seen that on the shelf in several years.

Maybe, in a couple weeks, I can get the stock bedded, the ammo loaded, and hand it off to the 40 year old kid. The original trigger adjusted very nicely to just under 3 lb with (I think) a perfect break with no perceptible travel.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Did you shoot it before rebarreling?

Reason I ask, I have a 308 that is pitted from one end to the other and it will put them in an inch at one hundred.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice Idaho- you should feel really good about it and know it will last him more than long enough to pass along.

You are a good Dad.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Kenlguy
Did you shoot it before rebarreling?

Reason I ask, I have a 308 that is pitted from one end to the other and it will put them in an inch at one hundred.

I restored a terribly trashed and pitted Savage 99 in 300 Savage. I restored the rifle but the bore was rough. I thought I’d shoot it first and rebarrel it if needed…and I was sure it NEEDED it. I mounted a new Weaver 3-9x40 and went to the range. It was an absolute and total surprise but that rifle put 5 rounds into less than an inch time after time. I brought the targets to work and was showing the rifle and targets to a couple of friends and customers and they got into a bidding war over it. It was not collectible or extraordinary in any way, just a nice clean refinished 99 with an ugly bore that shot tight groups.

I was offered more than I could turn down for the rifle but that was my definitive lesson in not getting too caught up in theory and instead focus on the facts. A bad looking bore does NOT mean that the rifle won’t shoot good. The modern advent of bore scopes is great for aftermarket barrel makers. Gun guys are fickle so give them more little insignificant things to fret over like the microscopic condition of a rifle bore and I’m surprised that anyone shoots anything anymore.

I don’t rely on the bore scope to determine how a rifle shoots. I shoot the rifle and look at the target to judge accuracy.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Cool gesture to your son. I’m sure he’ll be pleased.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
$600 plus the cost of the rifle. Good for you Douche Bag.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
At least It's a Shaw barrel for that price. A generous gift regardless!

I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
Yes, sure I am the douchebag?
I still have less into it than buying a new one just like it. First time I have ever lost out on the gamble of buying used. I like the odds, I will buy used again.

You can look in the mirror and practice calling yourself douchebag. It is appropriate.

No, I did not shoot the gun, once I saw the interior of the bore. These were not typical pits. They went from groove to groove, totally obliterating the land for lengths up to 1/4 inch. The pits were deeper than the grooves. And they were intermittently present from a few inches ahead of the chamber to near the muzzle.

While the gun may have held decent initial accuracy, it would have copper fouled quickly and severely. I could not give something like that away. Hell, I would not even give it to Skunkhunter. Let alone my son!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Yes, sure I am the douchebag?
I still have less into it than buying a new one just like it. First time I have ever lost out on the gamble of buying used. I like the odds, I will buy used again.

You can look in the mirror and practice calling yourself douchebag. It is appropriate.

No, I did not shoot the gun, once I saw the interior of the bore. These were not typical pits. They went from groove to groove, totally obliterating the land for lengths up to 1/4 inch. The pits were deeper than the grooves. And they were intermittently present from a few inches ahead of the chamber to near the muzzle.

While the gun may have held decent initial accuracy, it would have copper fouled quickly and severely. I could not give something like that away. Hell, I would not even give it to Skunkhunter. Let alone my son!
Your're a genius douchebag. LOL Do what you do

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hey skank.......WTF with the attitude? 600 bucks for what he had done aint crazy. Granted a Shaw barrel isn't top shelf quality, but it's far better than a factory POS. The man wanted a decent rifle, repaired broken mount screws, supply/chamber barrel, polish and blue receiver and barrel plus shipping. He did OKAY.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 4and1
Hey skank.......WTF with the attitude? 600 bucks for what he had done aint crazy. Granted a Shaw barrel isn't top shelf quality, but it's far better than a factory POS. The man wanted a decent rifle, repaired broken mount screws, supply/chamber barrel, polish and blue receiver and barrel plus shipping. He did OKAY.
Most of all it's for his son. That is being a great dad in my book.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Post up some more women u have no chance of getting too. He's a douche same as you

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by kwg020
Most of all it's for his son. That is being a great dad in my book.

kwg
What ever I do for my son I'll do it, don't need any help from the fire.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Why do you guys even respond to him. Talk about a loser...

As for I S Shaw barrel, it's a step up from factory and its new and they reblued it. Sounds like a win to me.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Why do you guys even respond to him. Talk about a loser...
'r
As for I S Shaw barrel, it's a step up from factory and its new and they reblued it. Sounds like a win to me.
You're a good dude. The other three not so much.

I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
Did I ask for help?

Didn't think so!

Making a comment about the timliness of Shaw's service. Are you too stupid to see the dates posted?

Yes, thought so.

Hell, I will even post up a couple pics of the finished project when I get it bedded and scoped. Then you can come back and toss around a few more insults.

It is what you do.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Do what you do Douchebag.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Post up some more women in the basememt please............I'll click, promise

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Seems to me he was complimenting Shaw on their service and turn around time. Wanted others to know about their customer service. Also seems to me he wanted to make sure his son received a nice rifle. Money was pretty far down the priority list as it should be. Thanks for the post Idaho Shooter.

I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
Thanks to all for the positive comments.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

132 members (2ndwind, 300_savage, 1badf350, 338reddog, 117LBS, 204guy, 19 invisible), 2,104 guests, and 883 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,447
Posts18,528,802
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.