Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
mb (“Magnum”_Bob), I’ve spent a while trying how to best answer your post…..actually watching a movie. I’ll attempt to keep this civil, in spite of your inability to do so!

I’ll start with a quote from the OP’s original post…….”Just trying to be prepared for worst case. Any advice is appreciated”. So…….exactly what part of “worst case” eludes you?

My reason’s for using a .375 and my wife using a .338 have been covered several times over the past 20 years on this forum. Frankly it’s none of your business and you don’t deserve any acknowledgment! Suffice to say, we have our reasons for our choices……and likely you would not be able to comprehend!

I attempted to answer the OP’s question ……try and stay focused on “worst case”….. in a logical way! This is my first post in response to the OP!

Quote: “Either one of your choices are more than adequate…..if hunting bears. Neither would be my first choice (though adequate) for “stopping” a bear!

Worst case: A motivated bear (or any large animal) can require a lot of stopping at close range! JMO

Use what you have…..unless you’re look’n for an excuse to purchase another firearm”!

End of Quote!

I’m not certain why you have chosen to call me out, with your criticism and total misrepresentation of the truth or facts, but you did and you have my response!

I hope that you have a wonderful day! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 04/23/23.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Thanks , I did have a great day. Like I said carry what you want but worst case scenario is being able to place the shot where it is needed to be. I' d still be interested in hearing what everyday Alaskans use when in moose hunting in bear country . Mainer is using heavies in a 308 and swamplord likes a 300 Rum what about all the others here on this Alaskan forum?.mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was transferred here 3 years ago so I am not sure I am an ‘every day’ Alaskan, but I generally have carried a .300 H&H moose hunting. 200 grain old style Speer Grand Slam.

Before being a resident I hunted caribou several times from drop camps and elk up here once, with griz/brown bear problems every single time. Also came once on a friend’s bison hunt. I have seen and been around enough moose and griz to comfortably say I’d have zero issue hunting them with a standard .270 or .308 class rifle, with bears in mind.

Killed an interior griz with the 6.5x284 mentioned earlier in this thread with the 135 Berger classic with no issue though it wasn’t a defense situation.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Thanks , I did have a great day. Like I said carry what you want but worst case scenario is being able to place the shot where it is needed to be. I' d still be interested in hearing what everyday Alaskans use when in moose hunting in bear country . Mainer is using heavies in a 308 and swamplord likes a 300 Rum what about all the others here on this Alaskan forum?.mb

I see that your good day hasn’t granted the testosterone to make an online apology for your BS comments! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Memtb have you ever stopped a charging bear? Killed any grizzlies or brown bears? Hunted Alaska? Had bear issues on a kill, while packing meat, or in camp?

Just curious because in the last month or two you have come out as the authority on rifles and cartridges for doing so. Genuinely curious BTW, no offense meant.

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Nothing to apologise for. I was polite enough refuting your rational that everyone needs a 375. Still don't think so and still not hearing any Alaskans agreeing with you either. So you can drop the belligerence and bs. I still disagree with your contention that everyone needs a 375 to hunt moose where there are big bears...mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by TheKid
Memtb have you ever stopped a charging bear? Killed any grizzlies or brown bears? Hunted Alaska? Had bear issues on a kill, while packing meat, or in camp?

Just curious because in the last month or two you have come out as the authority on rifles and cartridges for doing so. Genuinely curious BTW, no offense meant.

Bears on kill yes…..bears in camp yes! An authority NO, just using common sense logic, that when/if involved in a “worst case” situation …..having a longer bore, heavy bullet has an advantage over a smaller caliber firearm!

Yes I advocate and have much faith in larger bore rifles, in our case a .338 WM or .375. Both are of reasonable recoil, both are common enough that factory ammunition is fairly available, both are capable of longer shots for game (deer, antelope, caribou, ect.) yet offer pretty good performance on large game/animals at close range ……assuming quality bullets are used!

I do not think that a hunter is handicapped by hunting with some of the larger calibers/cartridges ( 8mm and up) …….and “may” offer a slight advantage over a smaller bore rifle! memtb

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Nothing to apologise for. I was polite enough refuting your rational that everyone needs a 375. Still don't think so and still not hearing any Alaskans agreeing with you either. So you can drop the belligerence and bs. I still disagree with your contention that everyone needs a 375 to hunt moose where there are big bears...mb

Apparently polite has a different meaning where you’re from. When you pass along misleading information or take statements out of context to suit your purpose for argument …….that is far from polite!

I never said nor suggested that everyone needs a .375…..merely suggesting it as a good firearm choice! Once again, please read my original post on this thread! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 04/23/23.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I mostly hunt with a longbow or recurve and roll my own arrows but, I've only lived in Alaska for 17 years and have just shy of 100 posts on here, so I probably don't qualify for the poll. :>)

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by ArcherBunker
I mostly hunt with a longbow or recurve and roll my own arrows but, I've only lived in Alaska for 17 years and have just shy of 100 posts on here, so I probably don't qualify for the poll. :>)

You might quality. Let's ask some qualifying questions.

Have you ever spent any time in a Turkish prison?
Do you like movies about gladiators?

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have lived near, hunted around and killed grizzlies. All I can say is that once you do have an encounter, your mind will change about what a good gun is, once you experience it…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
I’m a longtime Alaskan Hunter, I hunt with a 30-06 and a 375 H&H. If you have ever been stalked or charged by or had a Grizzly on your kill…you would carry the 375… The 30-06 or 270 will eventually kill a grizzly but there is a BIG difference between a charging grizzly and shooting one that doesn’t know you are there. Stopping an enraged grizzly, requires a larger caliber…I have seen some very large Interior Grizzly, don’t underestimate them.

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Lot of truth to that. My problem is I doubt my ability to shoot something like a .375. I suspect I'd be better off with the 30-06 and a good 200 gr bullet!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by DonFischer
Lot of truth to that. My problem is I doubt my ability to shoot something like a .375. I suspect I'd be better off with the 30-06 and a good 200 gr bullet!

Don, do not underrate yourself. Most .375’s are fairly heavy (too heavy IMO) making them very pleasant to shoot! Properly fitted and a quality recoil pad……they’re pretty much a pussy cat!

300’s pushed pretty hard in my “retired” (heavy) .375 …..the felt recoil is far less than my wife’s 9.0 pound .338 WM! I’ve never actually run the recoil numbers……but “felt” recoil is what’s most important to the shooter!

Perhaps you could find someone to let you put a few downrange……to satisfy you curiosity! memtb

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Shot my 375 yesterday for the first time with a 270gr Speer.Rather shoot the 375 than a Savage 99 308. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Very nice set-up! 👍 Had I not already built my .375 AI when Winchester brought that out…..I’d have one! Though……I’d still run a chamber reamer in it! 😉 The AI simply makes an already great cartridge a little better long range performer…..especially with some of today’s improved bullets! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 04/24/23.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Curious to see how long the 2 3/4 Redfield lasts.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Not certain of the recoil capabilities of your Redfield! But, I’ll tell ya this…..when I bought my first .375 (1982) I was out of cash and bought a $39 Bushnell 3-9. Shook it apart in 20 or less, sent it in for repairs and quickly shook it apart again!

Finally acquired a Leupold 2-7 (the old friction type adjustment)…..it’s worked flawlessly until my first .375 was retired and replaced by my lightweight (9 pound scoped, loaded, slung) .375 AI in 1990! I used a Leupold 2.5-8 until it was replaced by a Leupold 3.5-10 (for the higher magnification) about 12 years ago! memtb

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by memtb
Very nice set-up! 👍 Had I not already built my .375 AI when Winchester brought that out…..I’d have one! Though……I’d still run a chamber reamer in it! 😉 The AI simply makes an already great cartridge a little better long range performer…..especially with some of today’s improved bullets! memtb
The increase in the 375AI has virtually nothing to do with ballistics. It makes your brass last longer and reduces the need to trim or turn necks.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Good advice, Thanks

Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (35, akrange, 7mm_Loco, 11 invisible), 1,505 guests, and 824 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,627
Posts18,492,935
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.